flyingbricks 198? Holden WB Ute

Threeonthetree

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you have the dizzy where you want it and the timing set, get one of those lead sets where you cut them to length and crimp the terminals on. Spaghetti HT leads are one of my hugest pet peeves.

Do you know how to set the timing?

32° all in (including mechanical excluding vacuum.)

I used one of those custom fit lead sets on my falcon THE DAY BEFORE I COOKED IT. What a waste, need to get another.

David, yes scope creep, but at least its now being put together for final times :-) and I'm much happier having dug a little deeper.

I may even throw the WB front on (less grille) to get it driving.

I had an oopsie today. I was adjusting my top radiator shroud piece in the box&pan folder, in a rush, and was pulling up on the handles when it flew out and caught me in the face. Sounds impossible but it happened.

Reminded me of the DOOM guy when ur getting low on health.. Nose is starting to really hurt now..fuck just glad it didn't take out my teeth.

4083630-3714032715-doom..jpg

Those HT leads are horrifically long and it messes with my OCD.

I have a full set of unused HEI spec ends that came with my leads for the free-oh-ate because I used the conventional ends on my motor. I also have the tool to cut and trim the leads down nicely.

I will do my utmost to remember to pack them into a baggy and bring them to Hamilton meet next Thursday and pass them onto one of the Hamilton jokers to hand over to you. 

I think I still have the instructions on how to do it but it's not rocket appliance spec so should be all good for a man of your skills.

• Like 1

Actually here are some pictures to give you an idea.

(the silver ones are the HEI ends)

269048d1196307779-making-spark-plug-wire

Crimp tool

269049d1196307779-making-spark-plug-wire

Cutting the lead down to expose the carbon core - cut the insulation, turn the wire a quarter turn, cut insulation, turn, cut, turn, cut then twist and pull the trimmed insualaton gently off the carbon core.

Pro-tip - slide the boot on BEFORE cutting the insulator off - use CRC or similar to lube up the boot.

(ignore the circled part in the photo for now - it was the best picture I could find on the net to show how it works)

1965-pontiac-gto-engine-msd-tool-for-cut

The exposed carbon core

269051d1196307779-making-spark-plug-wire

Fold the carbon core back

269060d1196308512-making-spark-plug-wire

Put the terminal on and lightly crimp it together with your fingers (this is the NON HEI type ends)

269061d1196308512-making-spark-plug-wire

Crimp it with the tool. There is a right way and wrong way to crimp these terminals in the die. It will work either way but one will give you a good crimp and the other will give you a pretty shitty crimp.

(imagine the "arms" of the terminal are going to "hug" the wire and the 2 semi circle parts of the die force these "arms" around to dig into the backside of the cable insulation)

273471-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

IMG_9498.jpg

269062d1196308512-making-spark-plug-wire

Once you have crimped it together then all you need to do is slip the boot back over the terminal.

How it should look once done (but in my opinion the boot should have been slipped up the HT lead first)

MCP-1202-msd-11-e1398968623834.jpg

• Like 3

You are a legend bro. I have used that kit before (on my falcon) so have the crimper tool and instructions etc.

Unfortunately the stuff I have left over isn't what I need..!

My msd kit came with very shit install instructions. Online I learnt about pre bending the legs to get them to work right in the tool.

Handy things to have as another mate used some of my spare ends the other day too