NickJ's Lada Niva TwinCam

NickJ

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! I hear the weather up north has been crap today

Managed to go for a drive out to Burnham and back today, gearbox feels sweet, except for not being able to stay in 5th :( def has to come out, almost wish it would blow so I have to swap them!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice update. If you're worried about battery, I suggest 2 prong attack:

1/ measure drain, and make it lower if anything is leaking too many mA.

B/ You can get disconnector thingies, the boaties use em... http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-Battery-Terminals-Isolator-Switch-Universal-1-Pack.aspx?pid=214448&menuFrom=1021559#Recommendations

iii) A few watts of solar, to defeat the self leakage goes a long way. can get ~1sq foot for $20 on sale from time to time.

Nice update. If you're worried about battery, I suggest 2 prong attack:

1/ measure drain, and make it lower if anything is leaking too many mA.

B/ You can get disconnector thingies, the boaties use em... http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-Battery-Terminals-Isolator-Switch-Universal-1-Pack.aspx?pid=214448&menuFrom=1021559#Recommendations

iii) A few watts of solar, to defeat the self leakage goes a long way. can get ~1sq foot for $20 on sale from time to time.

Spot on! I measured it a while back (should prob recheck!) and she's at 16mA with the alarm on, which is not really anything to worry about, the main reason is most of my hunting is solo and the locations are a long way from help! I also carry an inverter for chargers ect when basing at huts, the spare batt gives redundancy and extra grunt if there are any starting issues... The plan is to hook it up with a 175A connectors to an isolator switch and then 30mm cable direct to the starter motor.

And you read my mind for solar! the distant dream is to fabricate a roof cage that will incorporate a 60W solar panel that will be hooked up to the spare batt via one of those fancy shut off switches, then I can sit back in the tussocks of the Canterbury high country enjoying the view knowing i'll get home for a beer!

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I have a lada idle screw blocking the circuit off and put a larger screw in the shaft stop to adjust the idle, not ideal but it goes! wrong end of the month now for cash, but once all the bills are settled next week I'll wire you some cash

Love this thing mate was gonna try buy a yellow one here in chch before I got my safari. Are you at th uni with it as I think I saw it there awhile ago when I was handing in a paper

yip, one year left on my eng degree, then back to the real world!

buy on if you can, cheap fun! I know of a red one for sale in chch

Started intending to do civil then after two summers of roading I realised I liked playing with the big machines more than building roads so swapped over to mechanical, possibly not the best move career wise in NZ right now but for me a better move.

• 3 months later...

Ouch. Hopefully just a dud gasket or stretched head bolt. Had OMGHGF in my 125 day before last nats - I had used the hg that came in a cheap engine seals kit when assebling 2 months prior. Fancy gasket swapped in and retourque once at camp and is still better than ever.

Looks like dud gasket, but it came from Mal, so operator error?

I have been suspecting it for ages but never gave solid symptoms, being that the head didn't have much life for machining I have been reluctant to pull it off just to be nosey so when it let go it was almost relief at having an answer! the shit fuel economy, random temperature fluctuations, occasional water useage, it all makes sense!

Anyway it won't be getting a plane, i'll scrub it up the best I can and cross my fingers it lasts.