NickJ's Lada Niva TwinCam

NickJ

Thanks for the link, not bad prices with shipping either, I have the 2 pressure senders so keen to keep all my gauges working.

Pretty sure they are both interchangeable, there were 2 different gaskets in the kit I brought, one with a circular oil feed and the other oval, checking the gaskets on the block and fitting doesn't look like there would be too much hassle, on closer look using an oval gasket on the circular hole may allow oil to bypass the filter?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the tunnel vid, just wondering if there is anything fancy with your exhaust system, sounds pretty civilised?

Are you willing to part with any engine bits? I've gone and busted my oil filter casting, if I can't fix it i'll be looking for another.

you just want a regular oil filter housing with the filter pointing straight down next to the sump? I should have one kicking around

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tried a little persuasion by smacking the screwdriver with a hammer? Don't belt the shit out of it, but while applying a twisting torque with one hand to the screwdriver give the screwdriver a bit of a whack. I've had great success freeing things that way in the past. Applies a force in a different direction which can help to loosen it a bit. Worth a try at least perhaps

• Like 1

Great ideas, thanks guys, will have another go at them tomorrow. I had a tweak of the accelerator pump adjustment this evening which made more improvement on the lag between gears, really need to balance them better though.  Excited to get her tuned  :-) 

Had a go freeing the other 3 screws, got one with a light tap and broke another  :cry:  at least I now have one on each carb, I now will hope I can balance each carb, if not I'm going to have to outsource this one, find someone to drill it I guess.

Only bonus I guess is it now runs like crap indicating a good balance should see her further on the path  :)

• 2 months later...

you cant remove the rubber donut? (its called a 'guibo', lol)

you need to clamp it as it expands a bit and locks the bolts so they wont come out - dont forget to lift the vehicle in such a way so the driven wheels are off the ground so you can rotate the drive shaft and remove the bolts :rolleyes:

I have a chain clamp for oil filters thats also great for that job, ahh thusly:

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Plier-Locking-Chain.aspx?pid=168027#Recommendations

you cant remove the rubber donut? (its called a 'guibo', lol)

you need to clamp it as it expands a bit and locks the bolts so they wont come out - dont forget to lift the vehicle in such a way so the driven wheels are off the ground so you can rotate the drive shaft and remove the bolts :rolleyes:

I have a chain clamp for oil filters thats also great for that job, ahh thusly:

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Plier-Locking-Chain.aspx?pid=168027#Recommendations

Haha, Guibo, I've called it many colourful things but never something so comical.

Thats tool is brilliant! in the past i've used a couple of hose clamps joined together but that was a pain, what i've found is that if I only release one side, ie 3 bolts, its possible to tweak the tips of each bolt back into the donut then evenly drive them home, this is why I took off the TC, I could easly rotate the donut to tap the bolts back in, if that makes any sense!

As the nut is on a shaft that is near flush with the donut, it also made little difference to remove it from that side.

Lifting all the wheels is a pain on a 4wd, I've found I can roll it back and forward enough while underneath to get the driveshaft bolts out, the bonus of ground clearance!

Drove past supercheap this morning and thought stuff it, lets try Azzurro's guibo tamer, for 20 bucks its the best thing ever for getting her free! gentle squeeze to get the right spot and the bolts glide out, thanks for that! Also found a 32mm long socket on the shelf, bugger it! I'm starting to like supercheap more than repco, they seem to be holding more stock of useful tools while repco seem to be moving away from stocking any tools at all.

• 2 months later...

I'm way too paranoid about fatigue/stress raisers on axles I treat them like a bottle of single malt, always good to hear i'm stressing over nothing!

Say you do the same with the bearing, meaning you heat them as well? 

No no I mean cutting them off

The step behind the axle is the same size as the inner race, so cant get anything under it (shot outer to pieces all over the workshop once pressing on it)

Cut collar like you did and whack with chisel

Cut outer race

cut cage

cut inner race and whack with chisel

off ye go

Bearing is fucked anyways

I do at least one rear in less than a year

Fronts less than half that

Also... HATE having to take the backing plate off/bleed brakes every time

They never bleed right

That makes more sense!

Yeah i've been lucky up to now, the bearings have come off with little effort, bashing in the vice is the most effort i've had to go through, seems the clearance isn't too tight.

This was the worst I've had, while cleaning out the housing I found heaps of shrapnel, after cleaning it all up wondering if it was diff bits it turned out to be the bearing cage, I somehow seem to catch them just before they totally let go!

Must be about time to re-pack the fronts, it's been a few years!

• Like 1