NickJ's Lada Niva TwinCam

NickJ

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New Head gasket from Gavin is $40, will order one hopefully tomoro and get it on the way here.

Also plugged up the combustion chamber with plastercine to get volume and calculated the CR as 10.2:1 with a 1.5mm HG, would appear quite a bit has come off the head in it's life!

oh schweet.

did you want some rims to take home? Or other stuff?

shame about the 1600ness of your block, (1608? whats the block code? ) as that's the 'old' or early 80mm bore size (from the original 1432 and then 1608cc)

the bigger 2L 84mm bore size was used right up into the late 90's incl 16V Turbos and so the available head gaskets are much much better.

Yeah, it sucks! but the engine has had enough power to be capable for what I use the Niva so i'm not too worried, I think I'll try track down a 1.8/2l engine to rebuild in the coming years for it but until then 1600 it is!

by my calcs I have 1608cc block (80mm stroke x 80mm bore)

I'd love to claim some rims off ya but it comes down to what weight I can get onto the plane, 23kg aint much/ what ya got??? (not sure the turbines are quite the right look)

Hopefully with the right gasket the lifespan should be better anyway

• 3 months later...

Cheers buddy! bit of a mash of code stolen from everywhere to test the theory and make it go but have now its running i've cleaned most of it up and added the true pressure reading to the bottom line. The sensor has a 2kPa range, could be pretty good for your windflow aero messings about.

Hopefully get time in the coming weeks to try hooking it up to the Caldina and see if I can get the MPGuino thingymabob running

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello comrade Nick!, I am a fellow Niva owner (and friend to Baxter).

I have been reading with great interest your tales on your Niva, I am currently rebuilding a Fiat 2 ltr twin cam for my Niva which it is certified for.

The block I have is from a Fiat Croma, it does not have a place in the block for a distributor but I do have cam boxes and one of the cam boxes has a fitting for an exhaust cam distributor, I still need to find a suitable distributor and cam to suit.

If that doesn't work then I will look at distributorless ignition. I have found that Suzuki tbi can be used, the throttlebody will bolt directly onto the Fiat carb manifold and from what I have found you need a water temp sensor, egr sensor, tps sensor (built in) and a distributor to run the system as well as an ecu. The fuel pump is a low pressure at approx 30psi so quite doable and it looks somewhat like a carburetor.

I took the twin cam out to fit a Fiat 1.9 turbo diesel engine and that has been a project for at least 4-5 years (due to health, child issues etc). Easier I thought to fit a twin cam back into it seeing as it is already certed for it (Baxter think's I am mad for doing so.

• Like 1

Good move, don't listen to baxter, twin cam all the way!

As for the distributor, they are archaic technology, if you're not shy, sort out a cam position sensor and/or crank sensor and use electronic ignition, so much better in so many ways, especially if you're going to go to FI it might be easier to stretch to the likes of megasquirt but that depends on how deep into the tech side you feel comfortable with.

Any more info on the FI set up that bolts to the standard weber bolt pattern (pics?) that has me interested!

If not for the cert plate I would have FI on mine in a heartbeat

• 6 months later...

You can indeed go full EFI without certing it (well not legally, but you will never get caught this way). Just get your shitty old single carb and bore the centre out and fit in/make throttlebody EFI bits.

Yer an engineer Harry.

Also for the love of Jesus, rescale your ADC values to give easy to interpret values, ie an AFR value and TPS in %. And run the x axis in seconds if you aren't already (not sure if this would really help on a carb though as they are pretty limited temporally). You should be able to set up a secondary axis on the RHS so that stuff is easy to read. Also just because I'm a pedantic motherfucker, you should enable the background grid on the plots, should make reading stuff slightly easier.

/end pedantic ravings and congratulate you on getting shit done 

6 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Also for the love of Jesus, rescale your ADC values to give easy to interpret values, ie an AFR value and TPS in %. And run the x axis in seconds if you aren't already (not sure if this would really help on a carb though as they are pretty limited temporally). You should be able to set up a secondary axis on the RHS so that stuff is easy to read. Also just because I'm a pedantic motherfucker, you should enable the background grid on the plots, should make reading stuff slightly easier.

/end pedantic ravings and congratulate you on getting shit done 

you've been marking lab reports haven't you

• Like 2