Browndog's 1972 V8 Transit

browndog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love the look of the Jellybeans. I had 8J Cheviots on the Bedford, but I'm thinking of something different this time around. Still going to stick with something old school looking. The current wheels are classic old 2 piece 14 x 6J Dragways, but the chrome on the steel hoops is flogged. I figured it would be pretty costly to have them re-chromed and then you possibly face the same thing happening again further down the line. Full alloys are the way to go I reckon. I've got  my sights set on some American Racing Torque Thrust 2s. Sadly I don't have enough space inside the arches to go as wide as yours. I would have to go 6J under the front arches and 7J at the rear.

Your tyres look pretty good to. What brand and sizes did you end up going for ?

Hi Gordon, yep chrome wheels are a pain in the ass, actually chrome anything, as it has to be maintained well or else it rusts! And really costly to get rechromed properly. It was $1000 to get teh front bumper done on the Transit!  I didn't want to go too tall in the tyres, so went 265/50x15 on the rear and 215/60x15 on the front. Rears are really tight, and I need to do a little bit of clearancing on the inner arch! They are chinese Vitour tyres, so white lettering facing inwards :)  Unfortunately BF Goodrich no longer make these sizes, or I would have bought them instead. But the Vitours seem to be okay grip wise.  

Just now, cletus said:

China tyres are probably better than BFG's anyway haha 

I think you are right! I have BFG's on one of my Transits, I bought them new a few years ago. Absolute shite in the rain, and average in the dry. Tyre technology has come a long way since these were introduced!  

Thanks for the tyre detail Conrad. The 60 profiles look really good. Talking about the raised white lettering tyres, back in the day another alternative was the Roger Ward Indy Champs. They really looked the part with a nice square edge to the wall and the raised white lettering but they were absolutely treacherous in the wet and not much better in the dry. They were really good for skids though. Even managed to get a 1000 cc Anglia sideways on a set and with "normal rubber" it couldn't have pulled the skin off a rice pudding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/07/2020 at 22:02, yoeddynz said:

Where did you score the steering wheel from? Looks sweet.

On 22/07/2020 at 08:28, kiwisurf said:

I have the same steering wheel but not the Springalex badge. Did it come with it? If not where did you get it?

Yes the badge came with it. You can buy the caps separately though. 

I bought the steering wheel from this crowd in the UK. Shipping cost more than the bloody wheel! :( 

https://www.retro-uk.com/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good decision to media blast the body Conrad. At least now there are no hidden surprises waiting for you further down the track. That bit that looks like swiss cheese now is a common rust spot on vans. My Bedford looked exactly the same. I was told it is  caused by condensation dripping down from the roof at night which pools on the load space floor behind the ribs. The moisture then has no where to go so it works its way through the panel. Takes years and years to get that bad. Good you found it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Nominal said:

Looks awesome. Did you get a lot of attention at the show?

yes it did. I put a little poster on each of the side windows  telling its life story, and I think a lot of people enjoy that. I was walking past at one point and overheard one guy say to his friend "it's the Westside van!"  World famous in Noo Zulland!  :)

thumbnail_image0.jpg.46b91ecf7e5d3841011fc1ac64204066.jpg

• Like 4