jacknz123 1962 Suzuki MA50

jacknz123

Hey guys first time poster long time watcher. I am based in CHCH study mech engineering at UC and I have acquired this old suzuki moped. Looking on here it seems this bike is a bit of slut and has been the project of many people. The following is what I understand has been done to it.

Top end rebuild

New points

Paint job

Currently it has a few issues included a cracked clutch engager worm gear (no clutch), leaky fuel tank, missing kick start lever, no wiring, no seat and the paint has gone all faded. 

I have had her running and she goes pretty good. From what I understand these have a dc motor inside of them that is used as an alternator as well as a starter so that shouldn't be too hard to wire up. 

So the plan is to sort the clutch and fuel leak so I can get it running properly and then start to sort the wiring. Probably wont worry about the kickstart as the spline is screw because someone had a crack at welding the lever on. Should be sweet with the electric start anyway and I can push start it until i sort out the wiring. Also pretty stuck for ideas on a seat that would suit this style bike with the low down fuel tank. Anyway would love to hear from any of the guys who have worked on this for some tips and ideas. Heres a pic of the bike and the cracked clutch worm anyone know where I can find this part?

post-18314-0-86026200-1411544580_thumb.jpg

post-18314-0-14149800-1411544618_thumb.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this contraption myself a while back actually. Once you get that clutch sorted you should find it rides quite nicely. I'll state now that I was not in any way responsible for the crappy paint job or welded up kickstart haha.

I found the wiring job is a little more complicated than you might initially think actually. Managed to get the motor to turn over by applying a voltage, but had all sorts of issues getting a useable voltage out of the system that could actually be used to power or charge anything. Hopefully you have better success with it then I did. This might be some help perhaps https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6391/Suzuki%202t%20singles%20service.pdf

Shouldn't be impossible to sort at all, I just got a big bike needing some work when I was fiddling with this so ran out of time or patience pretty quickly

i was fixing this up before ben had it (also not responsible for the shitty repairs mentioned thought) i did the top end rebuild and points etc. so can confirm that that stiff is all good. ben made more progress on getting it running better than me once he discoverd the whole bike ran on 12v rather than the usual 6v. 

keen to see it back on the road though, my recomendations are to strip the frame down first and paint strip all the shit off it. 

Yea want to get it rideable so I don't lose motivation and then that's the plan. Just had a crack at getting the electric start to go with the big thick yellow wire and the black ground but it just made a groaning sound without turning over. Maybe I wasn't getting enough contact because it was a brand new battery. Might pull it to bits to find the starter motor so I can see what that wiring looks like.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm retarded because I can't find the button to post images. I clicked more reply options but the button to attach stuff isn't coming up.

Anyway I got fed up with this engine and bought an A50 engine with the intention of putting it onto this frame. The engine doesn't have a piston but I am hoping that the piston from the m15 will fit anyone know? I also bought a por15 fuel tank sealing kit.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/34643-how-to-add-pictures-to-the-forum/ this might help with to post photos perhaps.

I'm pretty sure that a M15 piston would fit without any problems. A mate of mine has rebuilt a few of those engines though, might be worth messaging him for advice perhaps https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jonnys-Speed-Shop/

yeah my FR50 0.5 piston was $45 I think. plus about a hundy for the boring. cant remember what oversizes there were. Pretty sure theyre the same piston actually - I bought one to suit an fz50 - lt50 - jr50 theyre all the same.