VG's Gross Hilux SR5 (+15)

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well then, I changed a few things in the pursuit of more power, and things didn't really go to plan. 

First up was an electric fan conversion. I got myself a big ass single fan (which are getting hard to find it seems) from a merc of some description. Its exactly the same as the one Sparky mentioned a ways back, but unlike the volvo one, it has no speed controller on the fan unit itself. 

Factory fan before removal:

oJdAlLT.jpg 

Big as merc fan as it came from PAP:

4hDxUfk.jpg

After I cut off all the shit I didn't need (thickness/space was an issue) and simply mounted it to the radiator with two strips of flat bar:

9Xz1Hnn.jpg

And installed:

hlACxdv.jpg

Then I purchased a temp switch, machined up a bung, had a mate weld it to the funny water fitting SR's have, and then my bro-in-law helped me wire it up using the factory relay/wiring box thing, so it looks less hory, because aesthetics are obviously important on this build ....

XI4FHgy.jpg

Next on the list was to change the AFM from the very restrictive looking factory unit, to a big ass Z32 one. When I last had it tuned, the tuner remarked that this was a good upgrade, and should net (along with a bigger throttle body, which it turns out to have already had) up to 30kw. He said he couldn't up the boost as the charge was getting too hot, and blamed the AFM. After seeing the area difference, I thought it had to make a decent difference to the power output. The SR one has a 76mm opening, but is down sized to 45mm with a flat face, and then tapers out to 63mm. The Z32 one is 76mm the whole way through.

RBMX8mY.jpg

oCgZHsR.jpg

I also had to get a new intake joiner, as the old one was 63 - 76, and now its 76 all the way into the turbo.

zNrGGn6.jpg

So we wired that bad boy in, and took it to the tuners. A week later the guy rings and says the utes done and ready to be picked up, but it didn't make any more power :( I was a little disheartened, but at the same time not, as its quite a small turbo, and really I just wanted to know the set up I had (turbo/injectors etc) were doing the best they could/not being held back by anything. When I went to collect it, the tuner said he believed the the turbo was at the end of its efficiency which is fine, but it pissed me off a bit when he said he wouldn't have recommended using the Z32 AFM, because he literally did recommend using it. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I was going to do that, until I realized what a beast that fan is. I assume the merc had a controller that limited the voltage to it, cos at 12v that son of a bitch could suck start a Harley/I powered it up on the bench and it hovered a few inches in the air/you can feel air being sucked through the front grill form a foot away/its hard cone.

Cooling has not been a problem to be fair. The idea behind changing it was to have less drag on the engine, but when that sucker comes on, i'm pretty sure its sucking way more power than the original ever did, puhuhuhuhu. 

It does warm up quicker now, so that's good.

Sooooooooooooo anyone keen to purchase this fine sports utility?

9 minutes ago, johnnyfive said:

Damn son. High demand vehicle

Yeh, I just mentioned to the old owner he should buy it back as a joke, turns out hes in the market for a ute.

4 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Old man lexus time then?

Mebbe, gonna ring a dealer soon and talk turkey, and possibly other assorted poultry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, johnnyfive said:

You'll make the rubber band spring it's last sproing

Probably, it's just so I can tow the cute little camper, that thing is super light, so shouldn't sproing the whatsit.

30 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

Keep the ute and do a 2UR conversion.

12 minutes ago, Firetruck said:

Buy a Supra and put a 2UR in it.

And a real computer.

Too late, deal has been done on 2ur powered Camry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I sold this thing.

Drove to Tauranga to meet the guy (hes from Auckland) he had a quick look at it, and says he thinks its his mates stolen one. I poop my pants a little. He then tells me his mate sold one, and it was stolen later on. His misses shows me a pic of said ute on her phone, sure enough its the same model, same gross pink colour as my ones guards/doors, same mags and even has an SR20DET in it with the same pink valve cover. SO seems very likely the guy I got it off, knowingly or not, received a lot of parts from a stolen car, and stuck it all in/on his legit ute/Kawerau lyfe.

Anyways, guy takes it for a drive, is happy with it. Pays me and buggers off in it. 

Three hours later, I get a text that simply says "3rd gear shat out"

I explain that this sucks, but that I have had no control over how he is driving it. I've not heard back yet, but will be interesting to see if hes a dick about it.

Regards, VG.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1