VG's Gross Hilux SR5 (+15)

Vintage Grumble

Hi there, i'm having a bit of a problem with this heinous pick up, so thought i'd run my ideas past you lot. Surprisingly Hilux fuel tanks don't seem to be built for decent acceleration, the tanks shaped like this:

$_1.JPG 

Its mounted in a north south configuration, and has absolutely no baffling, so with any decent acceleration all the fuel just heads south. I've found I have to have more than a 3rd of a tank of gas or it cuts out under boost.

My options would be to either install a surge tank, which means I would have to buy another tank and fuel pump, OR make a drop box sort of thing and weld it to the bottom rear of the tank, for the current pump to live in, thus having a low point in the area the fuel would head too.

I would prefer the drop box idea, as then I don't have to have another pump/more plumbing/more wiring and another tank. I'm just not sure what the rules are about modifying a fuel tank?

Ideas and suggestions would be more than welcome.

xoxox 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Vintage Grumble said:

Hi there, i'm having a bit of a problem with this heinous pick up, so thought i'd run my ideas past you lot. Surprisingly Hilux fuel tanks don't seem to be built for decent acceleration, the tanks shaped like this:

$_1.JPG 

Its mounted in a north south configuration, and has absolutely no baffling, so with any decent acceleration all the fuel just heads south. I've found I have to have more than a 3rd of a tank of gas or it cuts out under boost.

My options would be to either install a surge tank, which means I would have to buy another tank and fuel pump, OR make a drop box sort of thing and weld it to the bottom rear of the tank, for the current pump to live in, thus having a low point in the area the fuel would head too.

I would prefer the drop box idea, as then I don't have to have another pump/more plumbing/more wiring and another tank. I'm just not sure what the rules are about modifying a fuel tank?

Ideas and suggestions would be more than welcome.

xoxox 

I have a surge tank in my hoard you can have for cheap. Has screw on things though

2 hours ago, AllTorque said:

Someone else showed me them things, but they are rapeishly expensive I believe. Would be easy to install though, hmmmmmmmmmm.

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

I have a surge tank in my hoard you can have for cheap. Has screw on things though

1 hour ago, Raizer said:

And I've got a new low pressure pick up pump to fill it...

Thanx guyz, but i'm not real keen on the idea due to all the extra crap involved, want to keep things as simple as possible, hence leaning towards different pick up or pump location/sump spec box thing.

1 hour ago, HighLUX said:

I have a fuel tank from an EFI hilux you can have for a box o beers.

Has baffles and all that stz

Interesting, I may have to come have a gork at this. where's the pump located in the factory ones?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighLUX said:

Its off a 3RZ lux so intank pump with lil bowl and baffles. It bolted up to my lux so should go on yours too. Its a bit shit hence price but ballin on a budget is name of the game

Ha, whats wrong with it? Is it from fire lux? Interesting that it bolts up to old lux's.

2 hours ago, datlow said:

My old fuel cell just had heaps of black foam type stuff? No idea how good it is but easy & cheap

google fuel tank foam baffle

http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-yellow-buffle-fuel-foam-p-838.html

That stuffs not so great in std tanks, fuel sender wont get along with it, plus the opening in the tank is only about 100mm round, so hard to jam a big brick of it in there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

nice work, welding on the tank looks great, did you consider a couple of worm style hose clamps rather than your array of cable ties for pump mounting?

You know what, I didn't even think about hose clamps for that, haha. I have no idea how long the cable ties will last. The last ones have been in there for 2 years and were still fine, so assume gas doesn't bother them too much.

While you're here, what sort of electric fans do you use on your creations? 

• Like 1

Fan wise i have never done anything outrageous, i'm a fan (pun intended) of nailing the liquid side of the system be it upsized thermostat opening area as was the case with the MX5 or additional passes /  baffle in the radiator like the starlet got. 

The POS racecivc got almost nothing other than the rubbish aftermarket fan which was cable tied to the core replaced with an OEM fan and a fine foam strip between the rad and shroud to prevent drawing air from anywhere but through the core.

I believe if the wet side is top notch and you don't have a burnout only spec machine the fan should only be kicking in momentarily until you are back up to road speed. I had no fan on my evo for a couple of years and did track days with it with no issues, admittedly i have since put a fan on which comes on occasionally whilst in traffic.

Long story short some OEM fan with a decent metal shroud you can easily modify is the type of fan i try to use unless space is at an absolute premium, aftermarket plastic case fans can GTFO.

I wouldn't bother with 2 speed unless you are concerned with noise, although could always just run it on fast if it does in fact blow hard for what it is.

• Like 1

To be fair, cooling is not a problem, it has the factory hilux radiator in it still, with the SR20's engine driven fan, and it never gets hot. The main reason for wanting to change is power gain, and i'm hoping it will warm up a little faster from cold. I have an electric fan from an AE101, but its a few inch's smaller than the standard SR fan, so think it may not be up to the job.