Vintage Grumble

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this.

when we cert an engine swap we have to check the emission side of things

if its efi, it has to have all the things it had when it was in the factory application, ie check light, oxy sensor, TPS, etc etc

aftermarket ecu just has to have whatever its designed to have

carb just has to run right

wait what????

so i need these fandangled gizmos in the impala with a ls???? eg check engine, oxy sensor etc.....

wait what????

so i need these fandangled gizmos in the impala with a ls???? eg check engine, oxy sensor etc.....

If you are running a factory LS ECU then yes you do, as they had all those from factory and are required to function correctly. If you have an aftermarket ECU that doesn't require an O2 sensor, TPS etc then you're fine. 

farrkkk..

iv had the factory ecu reprogrammed so no o2 sensor and few other bits i didnt need and the loom all stripped and excess shit taken out........

Factory ecu doesnt need o2 sensor along with a few others with the right software

Not having a dig, but curious as to why you wouldnt you want to run the oxy sensor?

Helps you use less gas? (and pass the cert emissions test)

They pay for themselves pretty quickly haha.

If the tune is good you dont need an oxy sensor, to the point were people who pay for tunes and dont do it themselves would have exactly 0 benefit of having one.

Yip,

I don't run an o2 sensor on my evo, its just a restriction in the exhaust I don't need. I had to take it deactivate it and remive to fit the wideband for road tuning then jammed a bung in there when tuning was complete. Should still be able to drive a CEL without the closed loop running.

Did I see this booking past the oyster farm?

Nah wasn't me, 1 in 20 people in the eastern bay have hiluxs though/I shudder to think theres another with the same paint scheme.

ALSO, managed to fix this. We couldn't find any other problems so put it down to dodgy fuse holder, coupled with oxy sensor wiring gently shorting out on the body of the sensor. Put a new fuse holder in, and it seems to be sweet. It's going in to get chassis number shit sorted on Tuesday also.

Also, this seems to be running correctly now, and not doing the weird cruising fade out/power loss thing that it was doing. So assume the O2 sensor was telling the ECU lies when it was shorting out, causing it to lose power. When you got to 3/4 throttle it would suddenly have power back again, which I guess is when the ECU would flick back to its pre programmed map/stop listening to the sensor. So i'll just leave that shit unplugged until I find another sensor.

Also, utes at VTNZ today, can't wait to see how badly they fuck up the simple task they have to do today.