flyingbrick

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flyingbrick

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had a few mates come over and look at the ute. The further we dug the worse it got.. Multiple layers of bog all cracked through and rusting under. Such a bastard.

Most people were like MAN UP....until they saw it in person and were like

:-o

One of those guys suggested I pop to his uncle's place for a look at his hz oneton.

I got all dreamy as I realised this tonner had a FAR more honest body and a deal was done.

20150913_144338.jpg

(I didn't get the wheels)

From now on I'll refer to both vehicles by their respective colours.

Yellow was stripped completely bare and its body lifted out of the shed (I didn't consider getting it out when I pulled it to bits) then its chassis.

• Like 7

Red had two areas of concern. One above the passenger side drip rail. This proved to just be cracked bog over a previous repair (nicely welded in but not prepped nicely before bog) and the second was along the seam where the plenum top, plenum bottom and firewall all joined.

20150913_170953.jpg

20150917_132505.jpg

Very coincidentally this was virtually the ONLY good panel on yellow so the pieces were cut out of each vehicle.

By FAR the largest piece of rust repair I have ever taken on.

I did have some question as to why red rusted out in this area. Once again BAD PREP was the culpret. Once I cut the panel out there were previous repairs visible in the plenum bottom (nicely patched!)-they took no time to rust proof the seam when they rejoined the panels so obviously water got in there and rooted things quickly.

edited_20151001_171947.jpg

• Like 2

Before I forget.. Red even has factory steel under and around the windscreen!

Here is a lovely photo of the firewall welded to the plenum bottom. I needed to join the two skins together before welding yellows panel on top.

20151016_132705.jpg

Because the front lip was fucked on red, I decided to remove it and use yellows (with the seam intact). The final weld between firewall and yellows panel will happen UNDER the lip..nice and hidden.

20150906_150939.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting better at this rust stuff.

20151121_165821.jpg

20151121_180802.jpg

Tried to listen to everyone's advice here so have cut/sanded off any rust and then painted on rustkill (just incase) and now its all sitting in the shed with a heater to dry out...

Tomorrow I will sand it all down thoroughly and slosh a coat of durepox primer alllllll over the front and get it all up in there.. THEN I CAN WELD THE TOP BACK ON..THEN ITS RUST FREE kinda. Yessssssss.

20151121_180813.jpg

Got these cool headlight guard things.

20151112_131540.jpg

And swept up this pule of rust

20151121_180819.jpg

And dnt let anyone ever tell you that Geminis aren't extremely useful

As scrap steel

20151121_165810.jpg

• Like 4

That photo above makes it look like one of my patches has no curves. its an illusion given by the white stuffs straight brush strokes. Looks much better in black.

It's had a few coats of durepox where needed and I'm finally starting to get a bit more comfortable with mig welding panel steel.

IM SO EXCITED

20151122_105735.jpg

20151122_202244.jpg

• Like 1

Have been spending way too much time in the shed without adequate ventilation.

This is all welded up and done. Spent a heap of time heating and scraping out seam sealer and making sure nothing nasty was left hiding in that area. I made a few mistakes along the way (like forgetting to wipe an area with wax and grease remover prior to sanding and painting) so hopefully it sticks and lasts.

20151130_175959.jpg

Also have spent way too long on this guard as it has a few shallow dents in the top surface. Durepox goes on surprisingly nice with a foam roller.

20151125_155034.jpg

Hardest part is going to be getting the 3 vent slots even and straight.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So this year has been gayballs as little time for this thing until recently.

Made a clevis and mounting plate and got my later model commodore booster mounted.

Then I traced a heater box flange onto some aluminium and made a blanking plate. Today I glued it into place and will remove the few screws once it's well and truly cured.

20160306_141723.jpg

20160306_141720.jpg

I need more damn mix gas

• Like 5

I have to pull out the brake pedal to remove the old HZ clevis pin and to fit a pedal more suitable for an auto (this was manual)

Before and after blasting. I mad the welding much deeper than original to add grip (I believe it's a requirement)

Hopefuy I don't need to pour rubber into it as iv made the base out of mild and used a 309 wire..the base should rust and the weld shouldn't...I hope.

20160311_134231.jpglol

20160311_135841.jpg

• Like 5

Had more spare time so getting lots of little things done :-D

Drilled out old clevis pin and made a new one out of high tensile steel, painted brake parts (clear coated the new pedal itself) and reassembled it all.

I had my good radiator support panel sand blasted which has shown it's not really as good as first thought. I'm not sure how long it will last but I'll patch the big holes and try soak any enclosed parts in rust kill and then fish oil..

Also finished my final version of the Audi seat rails. They aren't adjustable but the cabin is so small it doesn't matter anyway.

I had to strip all of the height and tilt stuff off the seats and then pickup on the remaining mounts which is why they are odd looking.

This body is way easier than the last one as the factory seat mount locations are still intact, yay!

20160315_131541.jpg

20160314_125541.jpg

Trying to decide if I should ditch the inner guards......hmmm

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had a birthday so got to buy a few bits a pieces.

A friend of mine (who most of you probably know) was putting an LS into his Kingswood wagon but changed his mind- so I got a bloody great price on his nearly completed full twin 3" exhaust system. Way overkill for my 350 but YOLO...I couldn't have built ANYTHING using new parts for what this cost.

Also hammered Ali and got lots of random bits like these

IMG_20160327_143037_825834086.jpg

Also stripped the non factory sound proofing out of the floors. It's been patched previously in a couple of spots and they didn't do the worst job- just a shame they made lap joints everywhere and its started rusting in-between the metals.

Holy shit- can't wait to get this rust free and off to Greg for carpets.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the zorst bits. Flow master mufflers etc so very happy. Then bought 4 sets of mild steel vband flanges from DSR (great blokes to deal with and great pricing) and got some flexis from STA. Had 15 minutes spare at work today so zzzzzt. Bloody love doing exhausts for some reason.

20160418_163553.jpg

20160420_160240.jpg

• Like 4