RX3 PP's Rx3 Coupe

RX3 PP

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they have fender mirrors? Sounds interesting, according to RXSUMO there was only one shipment of RX3s into NZ. //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/32841-old-mazda-rotary-pics/page-2#entry873426

Did the other NZ new cars that didn't have a savanna badge on them have the same interior colour combo? Personally I prefer the dogbone style lights but thats just personal preference.

Just spoke to Brian regarding tail lights, dash etc, the NZ new 75 savanna was basically the last of the models sold to NZ, 9 came into NZ identical to my interior, just tried to jazz them up a little, by going to the tan interior with black dash etc, keeping with the square gauges of the earlier super deluxe and also keeping the round tail light configuration, they moved the fuel pump to under the passengers rear guard like the rx2 series 1. Which I also have the original box and mounts out of it that Brian gave me. So I guess it's different from the black, but more important I guess it's even rearer, but only if you like the tan, I myself prefer black. So one day I may die it, will see how it goes . So it seems like a last ditch attempt to get rid of them into the market before oil crisis appeared. I guess at the end of the day it's what each prefer all black and black/tan. You know my thoughts :)

• Like 1

Just spoke to Brian regarding tail lights, dash etc, the NZ new 75 savanna was basically the last of the models sold to NZ, 9 came into NZ identical to my interior, just tried to jazz them up a little, by going to the tan interior with black dash etc, keeping with the square gauges of the earlier super deluxe and also keeping the round tail light configuration, they moved the fuel pump to under the passengers rear guard like the rx2 series 1. Which I also have the original box and mounts out of it that Brian gave me. So I guess it's different from the black, but more important I guess it's even rearer, but only if you like the tan, I myself prefer black. So one day I may die it, will see how it goes . So it seems like a last ditch attempt to get rid of them into the market before oil crisis appeared. I guess at the end of the day it's what each prefer all black and black/tan. You know my thoughts :)

Well that explains a crap load about my car,its a 75 ,it has tan hoodlining and door panels that have been sprayed black also the fuel pump is under the l/r guard with original mounts,also has a savanna front bar.it also had the holes for the fender mirrors in the front guards.

Dont dye the brown i will quite happily buy it off you or do a deal with my interior.

Wonder what happened to the other 8 Savannas?

There's one in Dunedin, from what Brian told me, and another one up wellington way is owned by some guy who's in the army, And 75rx3 appears to have one also. I wonder if his car is a NZ new one.

No they have been retrimed black damit, im currently stripping the black vinyl spray off the door panels what a shit of a job.

Maybe some thing will turn up one day or I may try get them retrimmed in something similar to the photos you have put up.

Yeah all very similar stuff and colours, and I guess being all mazda a lot of stuff could well be generic across some cars, front seats look very close, trims and back seat look different but similar, never had anything to do with 323. I become a rotor head at age of 20, to many years ago to remember it all, I do miss my old rx2 sedan tho

• 2 weeks later...

Brian knows of someone else with a savanna coupe, but there wasn't many that came here, he thought about 9 in total, either way I guess it's a rear thing with the brown, he gave me the chassis number that was cut out of the firewall so could possibly track its history.

Are any of these NZ new Savanna coupes registered as Savannas at all as I did a rego check on one and it comes up 1975 RX3, did they have the Series 3 12a grilles and Savanna front lower lips at all? The brown interiors were found mainly in later model Aus spec RX3's and 808's so I'am not really sure why these so called NZ new Savanna coupes make them a Savanna if only Savanna rear 1/4 badges were applied.