Wylde's '84 Holden Statesman DeVille series II

KKtrips

Ditch the pollution spec EGR port heads and run either standard red heads which have no EGR ports or 304 injected heads which bolt on with no modifications required, bar changing one head bolt to a female hex head.

Standard red heads flow poorly but will be better than yours, plus they're dirt cheap.

Later VL 308 heads have larger valves and better flow.

Standard injected heads flow as much as a heavily ported early head.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditch the pollution spec EGR port heads and run either standard red heads which have no EGR ports or 304 injected heads which bolt on with no modifications required, bar changing one head bolt to a female hex head.

Standard red heads flow poorly but will be better than yours, plus they're dirt cheap.

Later VL 308 heads have larger valves and better flow.

Standard injected heads flow as much as a heavily ported early head.

FYI - injected heads have different pot configuration so you need a special inlet manifold to run a carb and if you want to run headers then you need to get specific injected head exhaust headers.

Saw a guy selling a decent 308 motor with injected heads, injected to carb manifold, the right exhausts and roller rockers in aussie for $1800.  I would totally buy it and ditch the block but send the rest if freight to NZ wasn't an issue.  

Testament is right really..

There's fuck all point upgrading and rebuilding the old 308 if you can buy something better for the same money. Even a fresh 350 could be found cheaper than what your bill might end up...tho obviously this depends on work needed.

Fuck... Deals come up on TM sometimes for ls1 shortblocks.. Just add holley carb manifold kit and it'd be Lucius (might cost ya twice as much but be ten times more awesome)

even regular SBC 283/327/350/400 has potential to be more powerful for cheaper

but then again it wont sound like a holden/ a good 308 does sound pretty cool with their different firing order.

and despite costs and whatnot stuff bolting back in as it was is worth alot of time. and time is very precious.

Ok Lads do the words mean original and numbers matching mean something to you. Not trying to be a dick but yeah its survived this long in this condition tho most its going to see is a new and better breathing cam that and I'm doing the assembly side of things to keep costs down.

you ALL raise fair points though  these will be noted!

• Like 2

Ok Lads do the words mean original and numbers matching mean something to you. Not trying to be a dick but yeah its survived this long in this condition tho most its going to see is a new and better breathing cam that and I'm doing the assembly side of things to keep costs down.

you ALL raise fair points though  these will be noted!

Good man - they're just jealous that Peter Brock hasn't dripped his blood into their engine block paint...

:D

• Like 1

FYI - injected heads have different pot configuration so you need a special inlet manifold to run a carb and if you want to run headers then you need to get specific injected head exhaust headers.

Saw a guy selling a decent 308 motor with injected heads, injected to carb manifold, the right exhausts and roller rockers in aussie for $1800.  I would totally buy it and ditch the block but send the rest if freight to NZ wasn't an issue.  

Yes Haha, I was on my phone on a roof so couldn't elaborate further.

Essentially doing a 304 top end conversion will allow the stock bottom end to be run but opens up possibilities for better induction, breathing and exhaust.

You're correct about the port spacings, 304s are equidistant whereas 308s have the centre two ports hard up against eachother.

I dig the matching numbers and originality, good on you Joe Dirt (deer-tay) for keeping it a Holden.

Rebuild it with a better cam and a few other new bits and it'll run beeeeeeeaaauuutifully Mayte.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...