98cc's Ordinary Bicycle Build

98cc

I am flying down to chch tonight, and then going to Oamaru tomorrow morning and spending the rest of the week making the rims, backbones, spokes and tyres. I will try to take as many pics as possible

• Like 5

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup they are a solid piece of rubber with a wire through the center. You first cut the rubber slightly larger than the circumference of the wheel, you then lay the rubber around the rim and using a special tool tension the wire until the rubber is tight on the rim and then braze the ends of the wire together.

• Like 3

Thanks born looser and rot808. If you ever want to do one bl, get in touch with Grahame Simpson in Oamaru. He is extremely helpful.

Yeah it should be a good thing for leadfoot and roycroft events Amy!

Rustisize, Grahame gets the engineering company in oamaru to do it. They have a big press and the just swage the taper into it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have got the rear forks all finished and welded on now. The hubs i got from the guy in Oamaru, they are just steel front hubs off a normal bike. The rims are all drilled and ready for painting so hopefully that will happen this weekend.

DSCF9126_zpsgv32zssd.jpg

DSCF9128_zpsxuteqp4h.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Thanks born loser, the bits for my bike have cost about $700. The long spokes are $4 each and the tyre rubber is $40 a meter so these were the main costs. I wont need to buy anything else apart for some paint to do the forks and frame from this point though

• Like 1

Thanks BVB, I need to get them finished for the ride I'm doing in October. It's quite good knowing you need to get something done by a certain date or else you won't be able to do the event that you have already paid for haha.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tortron, no i dont think i will do any lug detail, the ride is only a month away now and i still need to get both of the bikes painted and do all the final details. A good replica penny will generally sell for between $2-3000 even up to $4000 and originals are well into the 7-15k range. I got my bike welded up on the weekend so i will do a big update sometime this week.