98cc's Ordinary Bicycle Build

98cc

Well i have been wanting to build one of these wonderful machines for a few years now, i have just finished my engineering project at school (steam engine and boiler) and i needed something to fill in the rest of the year and this seemed like a good idea! 

About a month ago i got in touch with the guy in Oamaru who builds them down there and he kindly sent me his plans to use. Since then i have made a few parts for it but on friday he was up in Auckland and brought me the saddle, fork tubes and cranks with peddles so now i have enough pictures to start a build thread. Check out the Oamaru Ordinary Cycle club on facebook if you want to have a look at pictures to do with Penny Farthings.  

Each year the club does a four day long ride around the back roads of the south island on penny farthings , i will of missed out for this year as it is in november but hopefully it will be on for next year.

Anyway here are some pictures 

This is the pile of goodies I got, leather saddle handmade by the local Oamaru saddler, seat spring, and the 1850s replica peddles and cranks, notice the 3 speed gears!

pennyfarthing001_zpsf6f5f3c0.jpg

Here are two of the parts i have made so far, they are welded up into the bottom of the fork tubes which are round tubes that have been squashed flat and the front axle bearing carriers are bolted to them. They took awhile to make because i could only take light cuts with the worlds bluntest endmill  (high school abuse hahaha)

pennyfarthing004_zps70067151.jpg

I am planning to make the front hub at school and them go down to Oamaru to make the rim,spokes and assemble the front wheel and also bring back a backbone.  

This is exactly what i am building, taken off the oamaru ordinary cycle club website

pennyinsp_zps535ddb78.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks flyingbrick and BigValveBuddy, yeah the sandblasting does make the parts look a whole lot better. I dont know about riding it like a unicycle though, it feels dodgy enough riding them normally although you can give it a go sometime if you want to!

My wheel is going to be a 52 inch i think valiant, is that the street race in oamaru? 

• Like 1

I have been making some more parts, I am making 2 bikes now so double everything.

I made these today, they are the handle bar clamps, just mocked up with a bit of 5/8th tube at the moment 

pennyfarthing009_zps57f54fc0.jpg

Here we have the neck and neck to back bone adapter and the bottom half of the fork pivot assembly. The tapered holes are where the pivot runs, i need to get the holes case hardened if anyone can help me with that or else i will have to send them down to oamaru for the guy to do. In the bottom left are just blocks for head tube adjustment 

pennyfarthing007_zpsd0050c31.jpg

And these bits are parts for the seat mounts, they still need the holes drilled in them but after that i can assemble up the seat  

pennyfarthing008_zpsfd495d3d.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Born Loser and Seedy Al, the oamaru ordinary cycle club do a penny farthing and vintage bicycle ride in october, its 4 days long and this year it is going from mt Sommers to Akaroa 180km so the goal it to get the bikes finished before then. Do you know what that program/doco is called? Would love to watch it

• 2 weeks later...

I got some steel ordered for my front hubs the other day 

penny%20farthing%20013_zpsmfkobfet.jpg

And i have now made the axles, the next job is making the flanges an welding them on. I am also planning on getting the hubs nickel plated when they finished.

penny%20farthing%20015_zpspnzvd1r7.jpg

penny%20farthing%20016_zpsebkmwjl1.jpg

And assembled up with the bearing carriers and cranks.

penny%20farthing%20017_zpsbnq3vmeu.jpg

• Like 3