sintered bronze element fuel filter - ethanol

sentra

Does anyone know why the aeroflow catalog specifically says not to use their 30 micron filter with ethanol or alcohol?

They say you need to use the 150 micron element.

They are both made from the same material otherwise, the little bronze thumbcap things.

-DJ

Likewise

The young guy behind the counter started going on about it, I told him it would be fine and brought it regardless, however my curiousity was aroused.

Other forums suggest down to 10 micron at the rail is fine for e85 (I cant see why it matters what fuel), and these was a little hint that may shed some light on it, is "Dont run finer than 75 if your running it prepump"

-DJ

Well you see David,

In early test trials, ethanol was put into older vehicles with fuel systems that had become varnished during normal use with gasoline. Varnish generally only accumulates in fuel systems or containers which see little or no use. Ethanol removes this varnish from the tanks, fuel lines, and carburetors which is then captured by the fuel filter. Once the fuel system was clean and the filter replaced, this issue was resolved. Today’s gasolines contain detergents which help keep fuel systems cleaner and, in most cases, when ethanol fuel is added to a clean fuel system, there is little (if any) varnish in the fuel system and filters are less likely to become clogged.

Regards,

-JC

• Like 2