RXSUMO's Indian

rxsumo

Intention at this stage is to keep the bike red - had thought about the whole Khaki thing - but the bike was probably built out of parts after the war - and appears to have been always red (apart from the rear fame).

So probably red - except for the lights and rims - which I like black - go Stainless Spokes - unpainted as well - so a little bit of shiny stuff

Thats so cool 741b, Good job on getting the orinagle saddle, do you have the oil bath oil filter and the rest of the read guard? 

Someone I know bought an Indian 741 for $7.00 and sold it for $10.00 and that was a good deal back in the day,  you would pay $14.000 to $19,000 for one in going unrestored condition now

The bike is a complete runner - so yes the rear guard is complete - I suspect that one of the jobs "in progress" on the bike was to remove the ultra low rear gear (so it would hill climb around the farm), and chain - so I assume the guard was dismantled to remove the rear wheel. 

The bike - like most of the civilianised Indians at the time never had an air filter fitted - probably to squeeze every possible HP out of the engine :-).

I do have an oil bath air filter for the bike - one of my earlier purchases.

Not too sure on the money estimates for the 741B - world-wide they are starting to get good coin - but because NZ was flooded with the bikes in 1941 - I suspect the purchase price is a little lower here. I've seen them not selling on TradeMe for $12Kish for restored bikes.

The club valuation on my bike was $8500 as seen in the pictures.

Master plan for this year is to get the bike fired up - but not really do any restoration activities done as yet.

So ......

Get the exhaust mocked up - and then have the headers HPC coated

Fit the Saddle - so new frame mount (mounting plate and U-bolts) is required to complete

Get a new wiring loom and battery

Fit the lights

Have the wheels rebuilt - painted - new tyres

and then.....hopefully fire the engine up

oh and then I need to learn to ride the beast :-)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Time for an update - I had intended getting the Indian fired up last year - but other things took priority with my money.

So time to place an order to Ziggys

A new wiring loom - apparently the best repro loom available - funny being clothe covered.....

SAM_0198_zpscxyqvlvz.jpg

And a seat lower bracket - so I could finally convert this....

CIMG2342.jpg

To the correct setup.....

SAM_0200_zpstokzrfgp.jpg

And the new front pipe fits nicely too....

SAM_0199_zpso5hdxodo.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Update time.

Got the new loom mainly in - found the ignition/light switch is missing half of it switching gear - so all the light functions wont work

Added the correct blackout lights

Added the oil bath air filter

Opened up the wiring clamp holes in the guards that had been brazed up.

New ignition switch is on its way from the States.

Just need a battery and the old gal might be ready to try firing up.

20150711_1133251_zpssmyzexsg.jpg

20150711_1133001_zps0w0ftcej.jpg

20150711_1132441_zpsbbr7qpl2.jpg

• Like 5