KPR's 84 chromelux discussion

Stu

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@kpr It's amazing to see how much can be gained with some NA style tuning adjustments. 
Wonder if that dual entry design caused heaps of turbulence perhaps. 
Or maybe tipped trumpets are just that little bit better maybe.
Or a little bit of both.
Looking forward to seeing what happens at 13psi!

• Like 1

Yup highlights pretty well whats left on the table,  with the usual short runner intakes that are used on most turbo stuff.    Is a bit more complex making it all work nicely though. Not even possible in some cases

I'm kinda sold on the idea, that the the bellmouths were too close to the roof of the plenum, on the dual setup.    The dual setup had bigger slots into the main plenum, area wise than the original stainless single throttle dual setup. but made less power.   It really started to brick wall  around the 200kw mark, more boost didn't add power as it should. Hence why i done all this testing at lower power level.      The starlet also hated it  soon as the plenum roof was stuck in place, even with taper tubes removed and a big open hole in the side.
speaking of starlet,, will try the new intake on it when its on the dyno next, see how it performs compared to the open trumpets

Also i'm sure a lot of people will be disgusted  at how big the runners and plenum are on this thing.

• Like 2

From memory around 40mm to the roof, from the face of bellmouth. There was quite a bit of room  from the edge of bellmouth to the plenum wall .    

New one air  can basically  go straight down the runner rather than  all the air having to come over the edge of the bellmouth 

• 3 weeks later...

More i think about it. probably should  pull engines down for an inspection every now and then.   thats 8 years of near 9000rpm at double factory power, shits probably gonna wear out quicker.  not like its had the easy life

Just a valve yeah.  but different shape valve.  turbosmart is a flat valve,   Tial is a curved valve.   other than that dunno, some kinda wizardry i guess. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More rebound dampening i assume you mean,  so the rear drops out slower.  I think it is a touch fast yeah.   from memory last time i slowed it down, was too much and it sucked.  will have to look and see what shims i got in there 

Since you've got a whole heap of wheel and tyre, do you think that while you're in the air, gunning it or backing off the throttle might change your angle a little bit?

Like on motorbikes dont they hit the brakes if they want to tip forward more.

Although not sure if that only works because its only on back tyre of a bike. 

In any case, Jumps. Fuck yes. 

6 hours ago, kpr said:

More rebound dampening i assume you mean,  so the rear drops out slower.

Same same

You're launching under suspension compression, but once the front ejects off the ramp the rear wants to do the same due to weight transfer (coz front is now weightless) but if more rebound dampening sucks, build a ramp where the suspension can relax before launch so it doesn't kick you out.

I dunno if there's a way to solve it suspension-wise, but I love your work so I am keen to see it!

• Like 2