KPR's 84 chromelux discussion

Stu

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does pretty well against safaris and the likes in the mud/dirt. but not really night and day difference like in the sand.      The lower tyre pressure, power and less weight combo  makes it work on the sand.  sits on the top and arab spec it on the limiter.    plus can just send it over any bumps with the coilovers and hydro bumps

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, kpr said:

It does pretty well against safaris and the likes in the mud/dirt. but not really night and day difference like in the sand.      The lower tyre pressure, power and less weight combo  makes it work on the sand.  sits on the top and arab spec it on the limiter.    plus can just send it over any bumps with the coilovers and hydro bumps

Yeah, have to admit when you told me you were building this (ie 4age turbs) I bit my tongue as didn't think it was gonna work, I suppose if rock crawling or other technical stuff the slow torquey trucks would win but sure owns the mud/sand/rev it terrain

its got 4.7 crawler gears in the transfer case, so does the slow stuff all good.  most of the stuff in that vid i was in 1st high range.   5th in low range is about same as 1st high range.   something between 1st and 2nd high would be good

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

The lack of bounce landing off those dunes is really impressive!

Whats the ride like in the cab?

when its in the middle ground it works sweet.   shocks valved pretty hard with light spring rates.  so over the little stuff like washboards on a gravel road its pretty bumpy.   the harder you drive it the smoother it gets, until run out of suspension travel.       Its really limited by bad front /rear weight balance,  nose dives and makes tuning the rear suspension a pain.    Not bottoming out but close to no travel left on those jumps. landing still feels ok in cab. much more would be a bad day.

How do you think it would crawling through a rock field, do you have the throttle control to keep it in its powerband and still under control at very low speed? This is where I'd expect it could get tricky compared to a low revving big flywheel 8 for eg. I imagine the 4-links would carve up the rocks tho

just hit it  at speed.     its super horrible at low revs at the moment, due to the big plenum and cam timing im running. stalls out real easy.   but have a fix planned when makes it to the top of the list...  its not as bad as it sounds, since what little low rev torque it has is multiplied so many times.  but yep something diesel  would destroy it with same gearing.

Not really that interested in rock crawling. so happy with the compromise

As far as usable powerband goes its actually better than most engines.   since goes to 9 can get wheel speed up without changing gears.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UTERUS said:

This thing is dope for what terrain we have, mud and sand. 

Because of this ^. It seems to own all other trucks everywhere so wondering how it'd go in the rocks. 

Not that I've seen/done much of it but rock crawling is pretty fun, something about an adrenaline rush at 2kmh...

• Like 2

I think offroad regardless of terrain is weight and ratios.

you have all seen how slow my old thing is, dunes and not so mudy bush tracks it keeps up with anything.

just needs a fucking good run up for sand hills cause it’s go no torque once momentum is lost, nothing more power can’t fix

but it weighs 1400kg. Mates 07 rodeo with steps and bullbar is 2100, and safs get over 3t easily.

thats a lot of weight pushing tires down into mud, or trying to lift the front wheel over a rock.

a lot of those top crawlers are pretty much tube frame chassis, couldn’t imagine many would be over a ton

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really like what you've done with the trumpets on the itbs. How are you sealing/fixing them to the inlet of the throttle body? I've been thinking about welding a modified off the shelf trumpets to some heavy wall ally tube with a shoulder machined into it and running with an o-ring to make them snap into place but I'm curious to hear about how you went about it.