Terminal220's 1982 VH SL/E sedan

Terminal220

OK, so this is my first ever project. Fair one, its not a massive job but I dont know much past general maintainance. So its gunna be a steep learning curve for me. I have a pretty mint stock SL/X with a mighty starfire in her. and a VH SL/E donor car with carbureted black 202 in it.

My plan is to remove the starfire from my SL/X and install the 202, power steering, brakes, suspension, trans, driveshaft, diff and tacho from the SL/E into my SL/X. The only thing more limited than my car knowledge is my budget, hence me not slapping a V8 or RB30 in it.

Have started a project discussion for when my mates cant help and I need advice........might be quite often. Dont get me wrong, i am mechanicly minded and have riden and worked on motorcycles for the past 16 years so im not a complete tard.... but have done very little to cars.

Boom, let the show begin.

Pics are in the buid thread.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44628-terminal220s-1982-vh-sle-sedan/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, your Vh looks immaculate. That donor car doesnt look to bad either!

moar interior pics/Starfire pics please.

Plus i really like those door decals. Chuck a close up of them up to please!

and do i see a disc brake rear end in the donor?

Lush start to a project.

oh and WELCOME TO OLDSCHOOL

twqu22c4.udk.jpg

You must be the only person who wants starfire pics put up hahaha. Ill get some tomorrow. I like that decal too, it has a very 80's vibe about it. Cheers for the offer of help guys. Its always good to have access to people who have done it opposed to people that rekon it will be done in a weekend!

I have already read both of your project threads. Thats how I found this site. Im pretty much just pulling shit off at the moe and labeling it . Have a couple of manuals too. What could possibly go wrong?

Sitrep: One week in.

Have removed the following:

rear fender and fender extensions
Tail lights,  tail light extensions and loom
Headlights
Front grill
Radiator, radiator shroud, and all hoses inc heater
Alternator.

Picked up the following:

350 Holley double barrel carb  from the swap meet at Manfield
Redline free flow manifold to suit 12 port black 202 and Holley carbs $53 on trademe ......WIN!
Full gasket kit
Engine and transmition mounts
Trans service kit (filter and gaskets)
POR15

Have been spending ages polishing up the Holley....half way there. Will put up before and afters. I'm also selling parts from my donor that I don't need. Its surprising how much demand there is for bits and bobs for these we beauties. It has taken a heap of time just removing the parts I have sold, But its for a good cause and I suppose it cant last for ever. Have almost raised enough for some new extractors though.....yeah boi! broom broom ...

Why did I think that SL/E only came out V8?

You are correct. This Black 202 is from a VK. bonus triva: the VH's vame out with 1.9L starfire powerhouse, 2.85,3.3,4.2 and 5.0 litre engines. The starfire had 72Hp fresh from factory and the black non injected 202 (VK) had 115Hp.....so if I can squeeze 30 more Hp with intake,exhaust and cam, Im looking at a 100% increase in power....woot!!! (although no too difficult when you are starting with a starfire) but a 100% increase in HP still has a nice zing to it!

OK, first question.

Is my 4Cyl radiator the same as the the 6's? It is the same dimentions and the trans lines bolt up the same. I have been told that the 6's had 3 core radiators......but I have no idea what my 4cyl has.

Main reason being, my one is mint and I trust it. The donor cars one did runny poos all over my driveway. I flushed it for ages to get the water running clear,  but would prefer to keep my 4cyl one if I can.

Thanks in advance for any wee gems.

I ran my 4 cylinder one no problems. I doubt they are any different truth be known. The 8 cylinder ones are very different however.

Keen on some good condition front seats in light brown if you have them?

The seats are mint....but unfortunately they are burgundy. If you are after any other bits and bobs feel free to let me know

The soon to be evicted starfire

r4r0zhq0.jqw.jpg

Fuel tank is out and painted. All new lines and breathers. Alternator is all painted too.

Orderd an adapter for my 2 barrel Holley to bolt onto the redline free flow inlet manifold.

Purchased some wheels on trademe and they are on root.

Should hopefully get the 202 out next weekend for a clean, paint, re gastketing and to bolt the new shit on. 

Here is a question though. The Exhast system looks pretty good. She is 2'' all the way through and im not too sure how much extractors and 2 1/4 system will really achieve. It sounds ok at the moe...... I know it will give some benift, but just want to make sure im spending my money in the best areas. Exhaust can be done anytime is all.

• Like 2