Brad's 1987 Toyota Carina

brad

Hey man cool car!  I'd love to own another Carina sometime in the future.  Though it'd have to be pre-face lift as I am particuar :P.

BC Red's (for AE86) went pretty low on my old Carina, though not sure what the availability is like these days. 

I never ran the rear seat/sleve because they didn't sit right on the rear lower arms.  In the end I got rid of the rear BC red springs because they were too soft/saggy and put in some Mk5 Cortina ones and cut down to height.  Worked a treat!

dscf1810.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Brennan, will do. I've read your thread on making ae/ke coilovers with these so i'l be following your post ! Will take 'emto my local certifier once they show up and see who he recommends. 

Hey Glancn cheers bud ! how do you mean they didn't sit right? I'm guessing yours was a IRS rear though?

Yeah IRS.  I didn't realise yours was solid rear.  Just the perch/buldge on the bottom arm was a larger diamater than the sleeve/seat which comes with the rear springs.  They're made for an AE86 which must have a smaller diamater perch.  I was afraid that it was going to slip out or not sit centre so just didn't use it.  Maybe it'll work sweet on yours.

Also I remember now.  I actually tried GX71 rear springs first and they were also too soft for my liking. 

And correction, I ended up using rear springs from a Sierra wagon, not Cortina (it was a few years ago now!).

Yeah man.  Miss those days. 

I sold it to some guy around Taranaki ways (Fielding?).  He owns a lot of old Toyotas and stores them in a shed.  Reckons he tidied it up lots and hooks up 3rd doing burnouts no sweat haha.

I only got to drive it once at Hamptons with the bigger turbo and it went pretty well.  Before the driveshaft poo poo'd itself and the fuel/brake lines.

To be fair that car was a POS but I loved it so much.

• Like 1