Jordon's 1980 rg620 datsun

So i was offered a Datsun 620 ute about a week ago for a price i had to seriously consider, now my corolla is far from finished but decided i had to get this while i could so now im the proud owner of an awesome Datsun!!!

Its running its original sd22, 2.2 diesel, with only 55,000 kms on the clock, interior is pretty good bar the carpet, body needs some attention with dents and rust, chassis looks pretty rust free, deck is a wooden flat deck that will be reconditioned, brakes are pretty poor and its as bouncy as a boat

Plan is simple, fix brakes, service, wof, drive! Chip away at body and deck. 

Discuss: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44320-jordons-1980-rg620-datsun/

so replaced all front brake cylinders and adjusted + bled them. The mrs (Annika) found a good rug for the seats, suits it really well Removed and flushed water lines and radiator,replaced hoses as they were rock solid and cracking. The radiator was full of lime stone and crap, stained all the concrete at work, oops. all good now and got all the bits for engine service. need to find a thermostat housing or make one as the one on there is stuffed. oh also cut some under lay up and got Annika to sew it on the weekend.

m4kzv.jpg

gjk7.jpg

qvuu.jpg

cbko.jpg

• Like 6

Finished off the underlay and test fitted before gluing down, fitted really well so will get some adhesive spray and finish it off then work on some vinyl flooring. Got the radiator back in along with heater and radiator hoses, just waiting on a thermostat housing inlet which it looks like brdflu can sorce me one, then take her for a wof!

• Like 3

Purchased some new vinyl for the flooring, Annika cut it up and is about to start sewing it. Its good having a personal upholsterer!! Also got a new head unit and some 4"Speakers to fit up under the dash, tried making some brackets today but the lathe tailstock was jammed so spent the morning fixing that. Couldn't be bothered making the brackets after that so started stripping the wood off of the deck to see the condition. Needs sanding down and staining, think i'll go a lighter colour. Also thought with t his project i should keep it to a list so nothing goes over the top so found the good old whiteboard and put thought up a list. Main thing is to get it on the rd so once a thermostat housing arrives ill take it for a wof, that gives me 3 weeks to get the carpet and deck done and sounds hooked up and mounted.

Photos to come once i get imageshack sorted again

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up some stainless steel fasteners for the deck, started stripping the deck as well. While the deck dries I've started on the rust. There's a bit there, and in the usual places. Front guards and doors need a bit of work. Also saw some in the cab which sucks. Oh also got one of the speakers mounted under the dash but can't find much space for another one.

• 4 months later...

Haven't had much to do with this recently, had to fix some rust for a wof which was a pain, right up under the dash so had to remove pedal box and bits under there and steering column. got it done and was in a rush and while putting steering back together broke the steering box. after getting over the lack of motivation i managed to remove the pedal box with a bit of heat, FBH and a bearing puller. cleaned all the bits up but couldn't do much more as i need a manual for re installing bits correctly and new seals and bearings for the box...i thought i might as well give the wheels a clean while i had them off and got a bit carried away. ended up giving them a paint and polish.

what else.. fixed some rust in the guards and under sealed some of the chassis and inside of the wheel wells. i also need some new front guards and as mine got damaged by a truck at work  :x still trying to work some thing out with photos. untill thenhttp://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6573&p=73003#p73003

• 2 months later...

Finally got a bearing for the steering box. Reassembled and installed it. Only got so far though so hopefully get all the steering parts greased and put back together this week. Also been doing more painting on the chassis to tidy up the surface rust. Once the steering is all done I'll finish cab rust so there aren't any leak. Meaning the carpet can be finished and put in :)

Today got some rust fixed in the sill, what a pain in the ass welding a new piece of steel in. Turned out ok though. Removed all the crap in there and primed it. Also sanded the sill panel and primed that and the drivers side floor, both look really good.

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44320-jordons-1980-rg620-datsun/

• 4 weeks later...

Shifter assembly was quite sticky so stripped it out and gave it a birthday. Full of old grease and hair. All buffed, painted and lubed up.. Working like new. Ah also gave some interior bits a clean and paint while they were off. Steering wheel all done.

• 3 months later...

So progress is still slow, even slower after just having hip surgery. Been a bit slack on getting this wof'd so that's going to be a big goal for the next month or 2. Have found a well side overseas, it's a new replica item and is a pretty good price $1250 shipped into Auckland. Usually there's a bit of a fitment/condition issue with the older replica stuff but it's better than none at all or a rusted piece of shit I guess. So will look at getting that in the next few months once this is back on the road.

After removing rust on drivers door Ive started removing the dash to get at some more rust on n the cab, only things left for wof is rust in cab and balance the brakes. Probably be worth looking at the exhaust to as that's starting to fall apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get quite a few small things done on this, mainly reassembling the interior and test driving, had to make a new shim for the adjusting bolt in the steering box. also the retaining clip that holds the shifting assembly in place was stuffed so that's been replaced. Painted some engine bits as they were starting to corrode. sorted some new guards and got them to welly thanks to cazza from here, dropped them to the acid dippers today. Looks like the well side should be here next month along with tail lights and new valance. 

• Like 2

Tried getting some more done on this last night. 

Got some rust cut out but discover more which i guess isn't a bad thing. Got one of the guys at work to  make a patch while a couple of us bled the brakes and tried to balance them.

Tr5SjK.jpg

HtMvYp.jpg

It still pulls to the right so will adjust once more then investigate a bit more if that doesn't fix the problem.

replaced castle nuts and split pins on the steering linkages. 

6Q87QW.jpg

Cut and replaced tail pipe as it was next to non-existent. yet to chop it to length

WeukiV.jpg

• Like 1

So i have been in contact with the supplier the for well side and he has sent me some photos as they have made changed to the design.

What are peoples opinion on the position of the tail lights and wheel arches/pumped guards?

Need to make a decision asap so please discuss  :compress:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44320-jordons-1980-rg620-datsun/

9WnEXK.jpg

W0Jr4G.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dropped this off for a wof today... find out how it went tomorrow. 

Had to strip the indicator switch assembly and clean it out as it was cover in hair, grease and whose knows what. 

Got the rust patches done and smoothed out. and everything back together. 

Also took it for a wheel alignment which got the brakes better and it actually steers straight now. 

Also looking at different fuel options so looking for a spare engine and something kind of local, watch this space...

EDIT: Meant to say looking for a diesel engine!! Preferably an SD series

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So these are bizzo's, and he thinks they might look ok, I tend to agree 

O1BsIA.jpg

Wait for it

DUvPvC.jpg

Lets find out out..

vDU5JY.jpg

i6gdVP.jpg

Well needless to say he was right. Shank nuts,tyres and LOW required. He's not selling these so if anyone has a set they are willing to part with let me know!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...