Ben's 1987 Dirty30 VL Royale

f100_dreamin

So about a year ago I went crazy and bought a brand new dirtbike which meant I had to sell my 65 Coon wagon, sad days....

however I've missed having an old cruiser to play with and go cruising in, so I've recently bought myself another toy, not quite as old as the last one, and somewhat much more bogan, 

its a 1987 VL commodore Royale with a dirty rb30e and auto, previous owners have put a Calais front on it, a Group A front bumper, bonnet scoop and rear spoiler, 18's, lowered it and fitted an adjustable panhard rod 

VL2_zps014da638.jpg

VL1_zps3b6f7084.jpg

VL4_zps62ab96b3.jpg

VL3_zpsd9317829.jpg

Sorry for crappy Iphone pics,

so my mates have been putting the pressure on  the slap a turbo on and do skids, however the bogan inside has been saying it needs a V8, so still got a bit of a decision in that dept, if i go V8 I want to go for an injected 304 and t5 manual,  

I Currently have been getting the parts required to convert to manual, so far I have pedal box, d/shaft, clutch fork, shifter, manual x-member, have a gearbox lined up as my mate is currently going to an RB25det box in his VL, so I'm gonna get his old 30e manual box,

progress isn't going to be the fastest as wifey is somewhat pregnant, so baby stuff is main priority at the moment, and before I worry about making it faster i want to look at upgrading a few other things,

anyone who had driven a VL will know how awesome the brakes aren't, so plans are for some 290mm front rotors, and FC RX7 4 pots, rears at this point in time will just get some new shoes and cylinders.

I also want to upgrade the suspension bushes as there is a fair amount of slop in the rear end (you can feel the arse end steer with the throttle) 

Any way thanks for reading this novel, feel free to give any input/criticism/ideas etc

Cheers 

Ben

• Like 4

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the feedback,

Yeah if I go turbo I'll stick to a single cam setup, not chasing huge power just enough to do some "sweet skids bro" however I'm leaning more towards a dirty v8

I think at the end of the day if I was chasing big power then an LS1 would be the way to go, but like I said I'm not chasing huge power, and I think a 304 with a nice cam will fit my needs/budget (plus later on if I feel the need for more oomph I can stroke it to 355cui)

Plus in my personal opinion a 304 is a way better sounding engine,

Sweet vl, for my 2 cents worth I would say stay away from a 304 (unless you are a diehard holden fan). I have been down this road myself, I had a 87 vl Calais with an rb30T with all the biz but wanted that "v8 rumble". After buying a few 304 blocks and cranks you quickly start to realise how average a engine they are. Also once you stroke them and up the compression you are looking at an outlay of around $4500-$5000 including machining of block to fit crank and boring of block to fit new pistons/rods. Also it is recommended by most holden guys that you need to run 4 bolt mains. After you start adding this up you realise that an ls1 in the long run will be cheaper and you are able to coax more power out of them easier and safer.

But I agree 304s do sound pretty nice. I have a block minus main caps and a set of reconditioned heads sitting in the garage if you decide to roll holden 4lyfe.

So true.

Stroking them is hideously expensive. Makes an LS look cheap in comparison.

I'd only go down that route if I was running a race car and the rules stipulated that I run a Holden engine in a Holden car.

Carburetted 308s can be had for much cheaper. Not a lot of power but much cheaper than a 304, which is no powerhouse.

Simpler conversion too and becuase all 304 Holden V8 blocks have a turbo-hydramatic (Chev) pattern bellhousing stud layout, gearbox options for 304s are more expensive.

Earlier 253/308s came in Trimatic pattern and you can pick up an old fashioned australian Muncie four speed or an aftermarket bellhousing to adapt to a better five speed (Toyota W5*) for good prices.

Don't let that put you off a 304 though.

My preference would be to either under bonnet supercharge or turbo/twinturbo the 304 later on down the track rather than stroke it.

Leaning more towards a supercharger as things get tight in those early commodore engine bays when you start having to make turbo manifolds etc etc.

Or run a filthy twinturbo 253 setup like me. Early carburetted motor, spin exhaust manifold around so outlet faces up, weld flange, mount turbo, oil feed/return, blow through carb and 5-6 psi puuhuhuhu

Also, this is one of my favourite cars on the forum.

I was about to be the first person to post a comment on the day you started the thread. But I spent so loooong gazing at the car in admiration that I forgot.

Love how the Calais front really works with the Group A bumper and spoiler.

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the info/suggestions and comments

I'm not a die hard Holden fan (I just love all cars)

As for stroking a 304, it's not necessarily what I intend to do, mearly in idea, I'm mechanic by trade so have hookups with machining etc,

Turbo'ing it is also something I've considered, however main goal will be getting one in an going first.

A 308 hasn't been completely ruled out but it's really at the bottom of the list

A 1uz is an awesome engine but it's not for this car,

• Like 2

id keep with the rb30, they are pretty solid engines,

a cam change/grind can be done for quite cheap, and makes quite a bit of difference,

up the compression etc and your at around 250-260 hp, is that enough??

twin cam head will def get you more though :D

This is true, and to be honest I change my mind every 5 minutes, I think either way, turbo 6 or v8 I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this car.

For now it's mainly parts collecting, at least until after baby has come along an wifey is back at work earning some $$