Danger's 1984 Ironhead Roadster XLS

danger

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got new valve and valve guide (hopefully) coming for the front cylinder. Few scores in the bore so got them off to drop to reconditioners to see if he reckons they need bored or if I can get away with a hone and new rings. Gonna get the heads and cylinders sandblasted while they're off. I'll paint them black and slap it back together with new head bolts and brass rocker cover bolts etc and polish rocker boxes.

Really don't wanna split the cases on this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fark, polished the rocker boxes and was putting it back together and thought I'll just whip the lifter blocks out and clean/fit new O rings. Did so and the rear intake one has been damaged. So I've now opened the cam chest to check for cam damage too, May need new cam bushes by the looks of things and I may as well trim the cam cover while I'm in there..

More overnight parts from murica..

Both but front was worse. Pretty sure compression drop was a a valve sealing issue though on the front exhaust.

Started looking into cam cover bushings. It seems they need to be line bored with a reamer which means splitting the cases.

Fuck it all.

Yeah I got drunk and trimmed cam cover. 

Had a better look at the bushings and gonna just run them. They look ugly as shit due to the cam cover being busted at some point (outside the area I chopped) and been welded up and chromed with the bushings in place? anyway theres copper in the brass/bronze bushing but fuck it. I dont care if it chews the cams over time, I wanna swap them out for PB+'s anyway cause its got bullshit emission friendly ones.

• Like 1

I got the impression PB+ was a better all-around cam but I may be wrong. Still pushing shit up hill a bit with an old sporty but would be good if it had a bit more bite.

By the time I do cams, exhaust and tune the mikuni it should move ok.