toyota ae1xx engine upgrades

azzurro

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so

tell me about how the fugly carib shape is invisible when you are sitting inside it listening to glorious induction noise from the factory throttle bodies

8000rpm doorts to work is pretty much the highlight of my day.

Well that and cranking tokie konez.

If you buy one soon, you can bring it to the next round of the dual sprints at taupo and we can wag race.

Plan?

Plan!

Trouble with a 20v swap is they're all getting old and fucked now, and there are 20 valve stem seals to replace...

Blacktop is way better, less reciprocating weight, more compression, bigger throttles, better flowing head. The only downside is that it has a gas tensioner set up instead of the spring loaded one, so cambelts are trickier to do :lol:

nah, i want my car but better.

Or a similar car but better.

A 4AFE Carib is same car, but slightly uglier, especially if its blue/silver two tone.

4AGE on the other hand, i could learn to love that ugly face, and they look ok in white.

yep, trademe ones are probably toast, and i want it to come with all the bits, and just go, and if it doesnt be able to go back and get another, without dealing with muppets (asssuming the front cut/engine importers guys are not)

I pretty much want to make mine into a BZ-T but with base model exterior

Sounds like way less work to just buy a bz.

The general populous are just like lol another corolla wag, peep dat audi/merc/bmw over there. 

Only the toyota foamers are going to notice a bz over a base model corolla.

Not to be a prat but this would absolutely need a cert and your list indicates option (f) same design of cylinder head and.cylinder block. as what gets you.

That list is just over analytical way of saying that you need.to swap like for like. 4afe for 4afe.

Remember its how LVV and NZTA interpret the rules that matters.

just rebuild the 4afe. i would bet money you can still see hone marks in the bore at 250km . valve stem seals dont usually give too many issues with these its more likely a ring issue. seen a few that dont get serviced enough / short running etc and the rings get all gummed up. got a few customers with these with well over 4-500km on the clock . well serviced they literally go forever.

well serviced they literally go forever.

agree. I bet mine will continue to run like a top till the sun cools.

have to say im not angry, just dissapointed with the well considered, thoughtful responses and sensible advice i have had in this thread so far, that boils down to:

DONT 4AGE IT BRO

0j2d6.jpg

i was hoping for a sympathetic echo chamber to justify my foolish and ill founded ponderings :(

this thread is ironic as fuck, . it was last year about this time I had the same issue as you and I had all this same shit going through my head about engine swaps etc . . but it turns out that the corolla wagons are still worth good money. I sold my old wagon same as yours with 380 000 kms for just shy of 3 grand !!!

I then got a Carib black top 6 speed . . . 5 star alarm, lowered, 16 inch  mags, tints, fully serviced and extensive service history,  cam belt with all trimming ie water pump seals coolant etc etc. 190kms on the clock, tow bar, sun roof ,hands free kit, mean sounds with new components,  monsoon shields everything you can think of for a spiffing price of  4800 .

I had to look for about a month to find this gem, but they are out there . much easier then mucking around with engine swaps and all that shit, just buy it get in it and drive ,

I test drove about ten of them and this was the last one i came across no one even bid on the auction so i bartend them down 500 or so and took it away the following weekend  : )

best car decision i have ever made, well its the only one of my cars that is going and has a wof .

• Like 1