toyota ae1xx engine upgrades

azzurro

hi,

i love my daily driver wagon, but the trusty 4A-FE is getting pretty tired, now that its just clocked over 250km,

As received:

hrek.jpg

Doing the do:

if5d.jpg

Still starts first time every time, and sips the gas, uses no coolant and no oil leaks but burning heaps of oil (yerp, valve stem seals are fairly nominal at this point!)

nsldd.jpg

Apart from the winder windows, the only thing that i dont like about it (coming from a J18A powered Suzuki Baleno GTX wagon) is the engine. Plently of low range 'pep' for pootling along but no real top end.

I want to get a engine/box and ECU etc all together as a known runner ready to bolt in over a weekend (+/- a clutch and engine mount or two) - im thinking front cut.

I understand that any AE1XX front end will pretty much bolt in (higher spec wagons have 4AGE of various iterations fitted factory)

Car already has 1600 EFI (4AFE) and various Trueno bits and pieces eg rear IRS/Discs, strut mount, lowering springs etc , and im not interested in certing so keeping it sensible.

I also want to keep the good parts about the 4AFE (ie economy) and fix the bad (ie oil burning and a bit meh), and the body is super clean and tidy, and i like the colour otherwise i woudnt bother.

So, given CBF spending $400 on new stem seals and gaskets, and i dont know about the cam belt, so tell me about NA 4A-GE engine swaps!

Like:

Im currently pondering Blacktop and a 6 speed, but only becase more hgears is more 2F2F, and IDK more than that

How much to pay? (i see engines/long blocks going for like $100 bucks?) Obv all the bits will be more...but how much?

Reccomeded wreckers?

What engine/box combo or car model to look for/avoid?

Why do 20v engines love to sludge?

Why are Black tops better than Silver tops?

I also need a few suspension bushes, but fucked if I can find a good place that sells them.

Andddddd go!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

duuudes,

i had not considered those fine engines, mainly as they will not bolt in, nor be a 4A-GE, 7A-FE or cheap but mintly low milage 4AFE of some sort.

But glad you got them on the list, and please proceed

(no, do not want a proceeeed engine neiver)

2ZZ vs 4A

v7cio.jpg

that^  is the PO's new car, he got the same colour and as close to the same specs as possible, and was annoyed that he couldnt get front winder windows (only rear ones). He still asks me about his old car.

you  will need a cert for any engine swap regardless if its bolt in or came factory in any other model etc...  for an upgrade that you could  possibly getting away no cert cause they look almost identical , all I can think of is a 5afe /7afe so a little more "cc's" . it will look the same and have a little more power but its no 4age.

any "afe " you chose will probably have high kms and will have the same valve guide seals gone hard. so all in all I think your best option is to give your engine a bit of love. I also had this exact same wagon for almost 8 years, it went to 380 000 before I sold it and its still driving around now. the guides can be done in place with a home made crank locking tool and a air compressor to fill the cylinder with air (hold the valves in place whilst you change the guide). if you are handy with tools its not hard job to do.

suspension bush's cant look past "sas" in manakau . they will have everything and I don't think you wil find cheaper any where else. they also do fitting if you cant get access to a press .  

I also need a few suspension bushes, but fucked if I can find a good place that sells them.

SAS. We have a branch here in new plymouth and they are really good service wise. Can always get what you need. Dunno where other branches are.

Edit/ beaten by ta63

my reading of the rules is that  4AFE to 4AGE + 6 speed and LSD is borderline okish, depnding on the care facotr of your wof dude

www.lvvta.org.nz%2Fdocuments%2Fstandards%2FLVVTA_STD_Engine_%26_Drive-train_Conversions.pdf

4.2 Engine modifications that do not require certification
A vehicle is not required to be certified to the Low Volume Vehicle Code,
provided that the safe performance of the vehicle is not compromised,
where the only modifications to the vehicle are those to the engine
originally fitted to the vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer, that result in an
increase of no more than 20% in engine power output from the original
vehicle manufacturer’s specifications.

4.3 Engine conversions that do not require certification
A vehicle is not required to be certified to the Low Volume Vehicle Code,
provided that the safe performance of the vehicle is not compromised,
where the only modification to the vehicle is the fitting of an engine other
than that fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, and that the engine: