Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Its become very popular as a swap not only in the UK but also the US where many (2.3) Duratecs have been sold. Plus all the Mazda engines available which are even better.   Main reasons are that the engine has a very well designed head which flows well without any mods needed plus the bottom end is very rigid and all in a very lightweight compact package. So many of them about over there that they are a cheap way of decent modern power. A stock engine is 145bhp and throw a set of itbs on with an aftermarket ecu and you have 200plus straight away. Add some decent cams, better rods and pistons and you can have a very reliable 250-300.

The Zetec is quite different. Iron block for starters, head doesnt flow as well, timing belt, earlier engines dont have the solid lifters that the Duratecs have.

Viva stuff!!!  Yeah I am after some bits! I'm looking for a dash top in good condition- after all the work Hannah did in fixing this one up its cracked again in the sun :-(  Luckily there isn't really anything else I need except possibly a chevette/Viva HC 1256cc engine but I'm better off sourcing one down here eh -  getting stuff down from Auckland and all that....

Yeah I'd love one of those boxes and had one lined up in the UK when I was there in November..$260 but couldnt sort out decent freight in time (hence I had started that freight thread a while back)

Problem is the boxes are so bloody expensive here (well in Alex terms they are..) @ around a grand or more. So this is why I was going to do an adaptor plate again.

I can ask about a dash but I know there are a cople of engines. there is a mint set of front doors for a 2 door.

Are yes my mondeo had a cam chain,  I think parts were stupidly expensive and I understand the wiring insulation was designed to brake down for ease of recycling, I wont go into a rave     

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, grant76 said:

What about a datsun a12 or a15 with a turbo?? Small, cheap and take a turbo on a standard bottom end around 120-130 horse power?? And aren’t they close to bolting in??

Apparently they do almost slot in with only slight mods to the sump.  But if I'm to spend monies on a cert I'd rather do a more modern engine.  I just love the look of twinks.  But I do like datsun engines and Bart would forever be my friend. He might even say nice things about my English car (like "shitty car..but nice motor Alex") 

1 hour ago, Valiant said:

Once the freight is added on it starts escalating quickly from my budget. 

Fuck God damn I wish I'd clicked 'buy now' on the auction listing for the complete setup from your anglia the fella bought off you. $500 for everything!!!  Bugger. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Adoom said:

Did you try petrol for the brown tape? It's the only thing that worked for me on duct tape.

Good idea. I'll give it a go. Hopefully it wont mark the flawless paint beneath....

12 minutes ago, Threeonthetree said:

I think running the 'All purpose' potting mix may have adversely affected the handling characteristics of this fine automobile.
Perhaps the Sports or High Performance potting mix may be of benefit in future scientific tests.

Or at least some sort of adjustable potting mix. 

• 2 weeks later...

^ well at least your Bimmer is a nice classic brown colour. Looks quite lightweight too.

I remember the cold afternoons washing down my Rx3 well.... I can almost hear the rust process now.  Even worse was the cold day I decided I'd better get some waxoyl into the sills etc to protect it. I had to keep the container in a bucket of hot water so it would flow. Damn it was a messy horrid job.31012009354.jpg.b7d1ddb5890d8b1126a21b9c5013feb0.jpg

But at least it was then protected.

Here's a frosty road covered in salty scum, waiting for a little bit of water to turn it into an old car attacking solution ....

01012009274.jpg.f150a88acbf6e734652d40f501b16086.jpg

• Like 1