Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just out the front and a suzuki carry all?? Tray back thing cruises past. (Pretty sure they were 2 stroke originally? ?)

Some silly fucker has dropped what sounds like a Harley engine in it. Lol

Actually didn't seem to go too bad either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8ball said:

The original 1159cc is only about 80kg all up i think.

Thats turn key all accessories  (no box)

Yep. Tiny and light. Picked this one up and lifted it on to the bench easily. 

Maybe modify the shit out of the soon to be spare engine!?  Three bearing crank for minimum resistance and max economy... 

Edit: then add turbo.

• Like 1

I don't know how heavy they are or how big?

But the GM ecotec 4cyl engine may be something to look at.

Pretty sure the late model Camaro has a 2L turbo alloy 4cyl. 205kw or something like that.

Should punt the HB along pretty well. Lol

my 2300 has the ol' o'ring as valve stem seal dealio.

Cant see them doing anything much tbh, but cant hurt either. The 'solution' is to swap valves and guides for later 1500 (same engine, 2 less cylinders used up till the 1980s in poland) ones that have a modern style valve stem seal (which is basically a stationary o-ring...). I assume there is a similar workaround for the Viva.

Its a fair faff and cost for the sake of a wee bit of blue smoke on overrun and some mucky vales, but while you're in there...

My two cents,

Those O rings really only work so long as the guidethis.e nice and snug. Once your guide develops "bonus tolerance" it works less well.  Maybe you could use some umbrella type seals from something else?

And regarding lapping in the valves, I would advise against doing this. Ive seen two engines where a nice tight valve seal led to lots of blue smoke.   The poor old rings couldn't cope with the extra vacuum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

My two cents,

Those O rings really only work so long as the guidethis.e nice and snug. Once your guide develops "bonus tolerance" it works less well.  Maybe you could use some umbrella type seals from something else?

And regarding lapping in the valves, I would advise against doing this. Ive seen two engines where a nice tight valve seal led to lots of blue smoke.   The poor old rings couldn't cope with the extra vacuum.

Boost will keep the oil in

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I'm guessing they were not made to fine engineering standards of Britain though? :-)

But I'm interested in your experiences. I reckon if an engine starts to smoke because  the valves have been made to seal again then it was probably due for a rebuild anyway?  We can always have a quick check with some blue to see what they are like before we grind but with all the crap sitting there I cant leave it alone. I certainly don't want to risk a valve burning out due to some carbon getting smacked into the seat.

I'll look through my little stash of valve stem seals Ive collected and see if there is something that might work. Considering my current fitted engine is a the same setup without seals and its doesnt blow excessive smoke on start up or overrun I'm not that worried anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The heads are interchangeable I think but not sure about combustion chamber shape and overlap - e.g. smaller bore may have a problem on the 1256cc head.

There used to be a thing where you could do something like mismatch 1256cc and 1159cc parts and make high compression or low compression depending on turbo or non turbo.  I figured it all out a decade or more ago and have now forgotten all of it, including what benefits it offers.

Pleasingly, I have lost some knowledge of Vauxhall OHV engines.

Shit yarn!

• Like 3

Yeah- Ive filtered through some of the Barry stuff out there on the webs and something about comp ratios being changed via head gasket thickness too.

I'll keep a look out for a head otherwise I can just find a decent usable 1256 and have all the power!  Oh man... the big block. Plus all the added benefits of the later stronger rockers, head studs etc.

The ports are actually not too bad in shape, well at least it appears that way to my uninformed eyes. Or am I being dreamy ?

Three bearing crank for max efficiency.....

That's space efficiency right there. Only one of 2 or 3 is going down and drawing in air at any one time. Same goes for exhaust. Why make extra ports?   Oh and petrol is heavy so having downwards facing ports is good because gravity. 

You silly man.  

Just wait... all the other manufacturers will eventually catch up.

• Like 3