Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

Just now, yoeddynz said:

Update time on Viva two....  Lesson learned. Don't leave Vivas parked up for two months on damp ground. I went to move it the other day and the clutch is stuck ! :-(  I have tried all the usual things to fix it and no luck. Its now sitting out there with a stick holding the clutch pedal down.  Funny thing is that I have only recently worked on a mates Viva HC and it had come in with the same problem, which meant we had to remove the box and free up a very corroded clutch.

Jack the back up. Start the engine with it in gear. Do a bunch of revs. Push down the clutch pedal, then stab the brakes.

Yeh??

• Like 1

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A common problem in the UK with cars left standing.  This is the recommended approach from the Marina forum :-

"My favourite way is jacking the back end up, get it nice and warm, then start in third gear, get up to 50-60mph, then keeping your foot on the throttle slam the brakes on, dip the clutch and pull the handbrake. Hasn't let me down yet..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

I thought that this had been sold? I must have missed something...

nah. I did post it up for sale but didn't really push it because well... its kind of grown on me. Much like the moss on the window.  Its just so damn handy having a wagon with a rough as paint job that I don't need to stress about.  Except for speed it does everything the other one does and more. Wagons rule.  So if a Viva has to go in the future its likely to be the V6 one. If that happens then this one will get a more modern engine but something that is still really thrifty. Keen on an all alloy Nissan Micra engine maybe with a turbo.

Edit: I've just been doing some googling and the CG13 engines I had been toying with the idea of using appear to not have any substantial mounting points on the block for RWD mounting. Plus they have an annoying rear mounted thermostat etc.

My search continues for an all alloy small 4 cylinder that can be easily RWD mounted. Needs to be light as.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Gotta love when your missus goes on holiday and brings back car parts.. mine doesn't..

I had been searching for a electric powersteering column for Hannah to bring back but none of the sellers I had contacted could be bothered to weigh one. Hannah only had 10kg allowance left so I decided on just little bits. Essential little bits. Bags of Bassets licorice allsorts and classic car magazines...

Just now, yoeddynz said:

nah. I did post it up for sale but didn't really push it because well... its kind of grown on me. Much like the moss on the window.  Its just so damn handy having a wagon with a rough as paint job that I don't need to stress about.  Except for speed it does everything the other one does and more. Wagons rule.  So if a Viva has to go in the future its likely to be the V6 one. If that happens then this one will get a more modern engine but something that is still really thrifty. Keen on an all alloy Nissan Micra engine maybe with a turbo.

Edit: I've just been doing some googling and the CG13 engines I had been toying with the idea of using appear to not have any substantial mounting points on the block for RWD mounting. Plus they have an annoying rear mounted thermostat etc.

My search continues for an all alloy small 4 cylinder that can be easily RWD mounted. Needs to be light as.

Suzuki Jimny and Carry van used 8v variant of the 100bhp G13B from the Swift GTi, until it was replaced by 8v variant of the 140bhp M16 from the Swift Sport.  Light (G13B about 80kg) and factory 5-speed. http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm

2 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

Suzuki Jimny and Carry van used 8v variant of the 100bhp G13B from the Swift GTi, until it was replaced by 8v variant of the 140bhp M16 from the Swift Sport.  Light (G13B about 80kg) and factory 5-speed. http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm

Oh yeah- I've swooned over those old swift engines for many years. So neat. So rare now. so pricey.

I've read about some rare version of the Nissan SR16 engine that is meant to be a real screamer and pretty lightweight. I think a real high comp ratio etc  (which ain't a great thing really if it means one has to source 98 and then pay for it! )

23 minutes ago, kyteler said:

Ecoboost from a Mustang/Falcon.

Problem solved.

I love the idea of those little 3 cylinder ecoboost engines. Very interested in them when they came out. I think the L4 engines are the same as Mazda skyactivs? I've priced them up and they are still pretty damn expensive here in NZ.  However- if I sold the V6 Viva I'd have some coin to realistically import some bits and bobs from the UK, where these engines are plentiful and cheap!

I'd love to do a GM Saab L4 engine from a 9.5 which bolts straight up to a 4 cylinder commy box among others. Great engines, understressed, awesome power potential. Amazing what power the Saab guys are getting from them overseas on the stock bottom end. But they are sadly a heavy engine.

• Like 1

Yeah it was from Shane.

Yep- the MX5 engine that was being sold out of Petes anglia, on trademe for $500 with gearbox.. I almost bid on it and I wish I did. Even just as a setup for a rainy day.

But they are still heavy engines. The b6 engine is heavier than my V6, hence why the V6 is becoming a popular swap for Mx5s. I imagine the 4AGEs are a similar weight? Plus spendy with all that scene tax....never mind finding a cheap box to suit.