Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha very cool.

Note 7 which also relates to note 1 i think?

Great reassurance of never finding a speeding ticket in the mail hahaha.

Nothing like cruising an old gutless 4cyl (or 3.5 lol)

It reminds you you're alive (and quite possibly not for long on certain roads hahaha)

Kinda hard to imagine that back in the day some of these cars were desribed as

'Sporty'

Or

'Powerful'.....

I think they'd have a heart attack in todays cars.

• Like 1

I say chap,

I'm unfamiliar with the configuration of the vacuum line to the brake servo off your intake manifold,

but I've seen a few vehicles which have suffered a lung go to sleep when the booster diaphram has given up the ghost?

I'm quite likely wrong, but when you spoke of these two things in the same post alarm bells began ringing in my head like a level crossing.

• Like 1

Yes good point fellas. I will remove line from servo and plug it. This will then confirm that the servo aint working plus may well help the idle.

I pulled the plugs out too. Number three was oily and smelt of petrol.. which relates well to the number three stud in the cap being the most worn of the lot.

Waiting on prices for a cap from somewhere other than ripco who want $60+ at trade!!! Might be getting some treats from a friend tommorrow who has a rotary powered HA. He has a spare dizzy plus what looks to be a datto carb!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit inspired today.

Peeled off all the covers from the HB (after i dusted about 1" of dust fron the top lol)

Hooked up a battery and cranked it over for a bit to prime fuel pump (this also pumps some oil uo and around engine before firing. Start ya bastard doesn't allow oil pressure priming). Then covered the carby intake a bit (i pissed the choke off ages ago) and cranked again for about 4secs til she coughed.

Then half throttle flicked the key and away she purred.

Been almost a year since i fired it up last...

If i can get her out the driveway later i may go for a spin. ...

• Like 1

Got a bit inspired today.

Peeled off all the covers from the HB (after i dusted about 1" of dust fron the top lol)

Hooked up a battery and cranked it over for a bit to prime fuel pump (this also pumps some oil uo and around engine before firing. Start ya bastard doesn't allow oil pressure priming). Then covered the carby intake a bit (i pissed the choke off ages ago) and cranked again for about 4secs til she coughed.

Then half throttle flicked the key and away she purred.

Been almost a year since i fired it up last...

If i can get her out the driveway later i may go for a spin. ...

Quality British engineering right there.

• Like 1

You reminded me.

Found my Acuspark ignition conversion for mine yesterday. 

So fitting it now.

Note of reference. Unless yours is different. 

Get some longer mounting screws. The points ones are too short for the exciter mount......

Everything but that size atm all the way upto 1.5" thread... lol.

May have to raid one of my rc cars.... lol

** if you got the ignition coil with it be careful. The stud ontop is just a hollow weak thread.

Young fella next door was assisting and it snapped off while being tightened with a 1/4" set.

Wasn't over tightened either as he ain't that strong. Being only 7 lol.

Best cars to learn on are old cars.

He cant do squat on his mums Kia lol.

• Like 2

Yeah hollow thread with a wire attatched inside. 

Don't ask how good or bad it is cos i only drove it once and popped a rear wheel cylinder......

Then noticed a few other issues....

Hmmmm need to replace those engine mounts.......

F#ck it only few more bolts..... out ya come ya lil b#stard!!!

So now a Big Block sits awaiting to grace the chassis rails soon and scare all the neighborhood kiddies.... haha.

Hmmm while im at it that steering coupling........... lol

Do you think the stock engine mounts are a little 'squishy'?  My engine rocks all over the place which is part due to it running on three around idle, which I have yet to fix (car has been sat on the hoist with great intentions to do some fettling on it but xmas and all that food eating happened instead)

My mounts seem pretty soft but not obviously deteriorated. Possibly just the way they are from factory?

Yeah they look pretty crap. Motor bounces around like its attatched to a couple of rubber bands instead of mounts.

There's little splits etc in them and the rubber looks a bit deformed. So ill chuck a couple new ones at it with the big block.