Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the same setup the hb toranas have.

Lift and push up next to 1st.

Almost take the windscreen out when the stick lets go lol.

Luckily never had a passenger when it did hahaha. Id probably be done for some sort of domestic violence and assualt with a deadly car part haha.

Never understood why a gearstick needed a rubber insulator in the stick???

Is there any real difference between HB Torana and HB Viva apart from the badges?

Not much.

The grille and headlights are round on a Torana, rectangular on a Viva.  Torana had opening rear windows, most Vivas were fixed.  Badges.  The Torana had a certain amount of local content so some bits may be a little different.  Underlying car is the same.

In fact some bits from the LC/LJ Torana are backward compatible and can be put on HBs.

Yeah pretty much that. I think maybe different gauges too?  I used to like the idea of the round torana headlights but the rectangular Viva ones suit the front well so I'll stick with them.

Cant be many HB toranas out there eh. Bugger all Vivas now either.

Nah bugger all HB's most got turned into spare rust repairs for lc/lj or dirt circuit or drag cars.

Cant recall exactly but i think there were only ever 30,000 or so made over the 3 year period.

And 4 door HB's the rarer as only made very late '68 to '69.

I think it was something like 10,000 or so built from import fron uk and about 20,000 actually made from scratch in Aust.

I guess you get used to what you have grown up with.

I prefer the round headlights. As the square remind me to much of the later UC (Ugly Car lol)

So is the little 'goon getting a paint job or is it being left missmatched?

You could do a full on "fake" patina paint job. Seen a few of them. Some look rubbish and some look pretty awesome.

I saw a few pics of a car that had a fake patina paint job. Had a different colour door that was neant to have been from an old sales rep type car etc. And even a few panel shop paint blend /repairs added for effect. And some fake surface rust stains etc.

He even had repo bumpers made and then patina'd them. A tad over board but it did look really cool.

And knowing there's no rust at all underneath is a good thing.

Can't beat the look of a real unrestored survivor. Seen a few getting around here in the South. Examples that come to mind are a one owner '60 Fairlane 500 with 300,000 miles on the clock and it looked like it, and a '27 Dodge Brothers 4 that was sold new in Balclutha and lives in Milton so still localish and a bit rough so the old geezer just drives it dodgy. Good to see the progress you're making Alex. You're a wizard mate.

• Like 2

I'm going to leave it as is on the outside. But not going to add any 'fake' patina. I like it just how it is. The idea that it has been pulled from a shed after years of neglect (which actually it has) and had the bare minimum amount of work to make it solid and pass a Wof (which it hasn't... I got a bit carried away again..). The bonnet is faded red and brighter red underneath. I am torn now about leaving it. With it popped open it will look terrible against the engine bay. Might throw some paint at it.

The doors are on, windows in and tailgate hung. Its looking sweet. The height has come down with the added weight and its about spot on for a daily hack. I must get some pics and do an update.

Struggling to tune it without my timing light (blown bulb that I cant get locally) and I cant set the timing statically as its now got electronic ignition with a hall sensor pickup. The O ring I replaced in the carb has certainly stopped it leaking....its now swollen up so much I can barely move the jet. So as it is I cant get it to idle smoothly much lower than 1100. Engine sounds fine when I rev it but at low speed almost has a miss. The dizzy cap needs replacing too I reckon. Anyone got a really good spare?

• Like 1

Thanks! Hopefully it actually makes it over the hill without turning into a mobile kettle. I am not sure how the state of tune is so I'll be taking it easy!

Hey can a moderator person change the title to '1969 Viva HB wagon of patina- first drive!'

Cheers

sleep time!!!