• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well then... the idea of fitting this engine has ground to a halt for now :-( It was raining yuck outside this afternoon so Hannah stripped the head off and removed the valves.

P1110570.jpg

P1110571.jpg

While removing the head a couple of valve springs were noted as being quite loose. Loose enough to spin freely by hand. Hmmmm. Bugger.

P1110573.jpg

Number two valve removed, an exhaust valve, had a broken spring.

P1110580.jpg

Two of the exhaust seats have deep recession and the other two are on their way. You can see how pitted the seat is on the one with the broken spring. Note the amount of recession (probably also had much lapping of valves through out its life by some old Barry owner)  Note how bad the surface is on the valve head too.

P1110579.jpg

P1110578.jpg

The inlet valves are quite thin having been lapped in a fair bit by the previous owner who rebuilt this engine.. obviously a fair few miles back going by the amount of slop in the guides. With the valve heads pulled out to max lift most of the valves have upwards of 2-3mm of sideways play at the head.

Also noted is a repaired crack. This doesn't worry me as usually once fixed they wont do it again. But its not the smoothest repair. Plus there are some bloody hefty scrape marks from some heavy handed gasket removal evident.

P1110581.jpg

The block has been bored out .030" with new pistons but has worn enough to have a decent lip. Not so bad its not usable but noted anyway.

P1110582.jpg

So suffice to say I am very happy we decided to strip the head off for a look and found these faults now,  rather than having fitted the engine only to discover after doing so that its a dud. Saved quite a bit of grief.  I have stashed away all the bits and will now re-think the game plan. Considering the engine currently fitted is purring along nicely with its only gripe being a bit slow on the steep hills (I suspect about standard level of slow to be expected though) and that it likes to leave a little mark from its leaky rear main seal, I think I will just happily putt along with that engine for now.

The other Viva is advertised and one day it may well sell. Then I can look at re-powers. Between now and then I'll keep my eyes open for another cylinder head in better condition than this one. I'm not sure if the 1256 heads fit straight on?   Any ideas/info welcome.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...