Dangers 66 Pontiac Parisienne hearse

Mr.Mk1

image.jpg1_zpsrb2oudxz.jpg

Went to the dump, recorded Daily weight, lol.

Also put the new turbo on this afternoon.

SUCCESS!

I'm getting 6lb boost under acceleration and 2 cruising. I discovered the feed pipe wasn't sealed in properly too so will get a proper reading tomorrow if any different.

Turbo is nice and spooly, oil restrictor is working well and very little excess smoke.

I think the turbo I was borrowing was just flooded with oil and may have also had a dicky actuator. It never registered any boost.

I tested the flow of the unrestricted feed and filled a spray can lid in 10seconds.

The dump pipe and tailpipe are laden with nasty oily deposits.

• Like 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got paranoid with the mrs driving it so opened up the restrictor a bit more. Since I added a new, twice as thick walled turbo drain pipe at least if there's too much it will drain well. The old one may have kinked with heat..

Will return to this trial phase once I can swap cars back with her!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still rollin coal like a Swiss watch.

Since I lent it to the mrs for a month or two while I fixed and finished her car, she wiped all the while walls off on kerbs and stuff. Easy done. The tyres were blizzak snow tyres that came with the rims and I couldn't afford to change them.

So when I needed to put new walls on I decided it was pointless putting them on those shitters so bit the bullet and got new 195/60s.

The paint on the rims was pretty wasted too so I sandblasted them to get rid of any chance of solvent top (got lots previously)

I sprayed two black to see how it looked but made it look rough as.

Stole some Datsun red, tinted it dark with black. Sprayed rims black to help darken the end result, taped up and sprayed them this morning.

Will whitewall on Tuesday. Looks soooo shit without them.

Also painted the back blue again

image.jpg1_zpszqof65jl.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of fresh wheel setup.

I knew new tyres leeched into white walls, but wow, quick!

Looks nice and aged, not phased!

image.jpg1_zpszdcw35h0.jpg

Took the same pic on Tuesday and thought.. Shit that looks gay! Turns out the coil had popped out of perch and it was about 3in higher than usual!

Rectified.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm still missing some front panels it tends to shake around a bit. Aced a few sealed beams in the time it's been alive.

I was out a low and a hi when I got the Wof so he gave me the benefit of the doubt knowing I had a pile at work.

So I converted to semi sealed dealies.

I decided to cut costs, I'd do hibeams in semi and re-use the sealed.

Then discovered the semis are a flat glass, mine were curved.

So I used semis.

Then a hi and an opposing low wouldn't locate into the buckets.

So I delved into the parts box and found another 5 to choose from, wit associate chrome rings to suit as it all are the same... managed to sort it but running out of daylight. And one light had to sit 90 degree clocked to actually locate because the bucket was for the other side and I don't have time to mod it with hanmer cruise tomorrow.

Adjusted them quickly against door and reassembled.

Much more light so far.

Also took my OLD pcv valve from catch can pipe and replaced with one from brake booster, and put a new one into fresh booster. Noticed the car was smoking a bit and hadn't before I did the initial swap around.

Backed the brake pedal off too, as it seemed slower than usual (haha!) but more so between gears and I noticed the rotors were hotter than should be.

Here's a dumb picture from stock so I don't get flack for picture less updates!

image.jpg1_zps3r9annew.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

image_zpsess2ub5b.jpeg

Suckle upon a picture of the car since I added the filler panel between the bumper and grille and splash guards under the headlights. Dane the good cunt hooked me up these, but only one splash guard and it was rusty. I made another one from scratch and got it fairly close.

Dick job but got it together just before the rain fell and daylight ran out.

Shows how bent the bumper is and still won't bring the grille into spec because it's pot metal, cracked both sides and never going to be right but fuck it.. Front much more stable and a lot less gappy now.

Been too rainy since to paint in anything but black zinc.

Mint16 scored me a steering bearing from eBay cause I'm too scared to online purchase.

It will eradicate the 360 deg Inch of slop I have with the wheel inside the column. Will be ultra lush.

Bridflu has all shifter bushes on order so to make it magical feeling. I've made my own bushes but they fuck out fairly regularly because home made.

Hoping to give it a QUICK flick of black before my wedding in a month but require my flatmate (not a mate, he's a scourge) to move out this week to free up space.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's always shuddered on takeoff and since turbo went on it slips a bit when hard up it, so gave it a clutch kit this week..

Pulled it apart on Thursday so I could get the flywheel machined on Friday.

Turns out its got a bloody Toyota box in it! A Steel case W5-something.

It says Nissan 5-speed on the very plate but I suppose it dosent worry the cert guy a shit what it is.

So I had to buy another clutch kit because the Toyota plate is obsolete.

Goes again now

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Chased a diesel leak for a while. Thought it was the hose clamp, tweaked it, got worse, new clamp and worse again, replaced rubbers off tank, leaked, turns out a steel line had chaffed through on the chassis.

Also slogged out the bonnet hinge holes to try get one side sitting down better, gave all the rivets a beating and tightened it up great. Not nice but it's better! Front gaps are fairly large. Gave it a big degrease and clean under the hood.

Had to whip out a front shock as the bottom bush had walked out and the shock was rubbing on arm. Easy fix.

Then got a new decent Fram air-hog air cleaner and moved it out into the open with two 90 degree joiners and 10in of down pipe.

I liked how tucked away and tidy it used to be but ultimately not ideal.

Has made a noticeable difference in pickup and pull around town.

image_zpsxshifhg5.jpeg

image_zpsu0wvwpfn.jpeg

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Wow, 10 pages deep into the thread, sorry about the lack of, anything.

Do wee bits and pieces but never really worth posting about.

I fed it some new radius rod bushes after noticing it dive under brakes and it cured it wicked.

Bit of a dick job with the intercooler pipes in the way of the nut.

There were intermittent issues with the headlights so I replaced the cheap Indian ones with good hella ones and got the plug nice and snug in the back of the bulbs.

But there was still something happening and a few fuses went up in smoke. Ended up finding an identical relay box in the system at work so chucked that in, replaced the terminals and tidied up the wires while there. Was a good sense of achievement. Can see how ugly it was in the picture above.

Went to insert picture and it's gone for now..

Have a new leak coming from the tank but been watching it for 2 days and haven't pinpointed it yet...

And need to replace a 90degree hose from oil cooler to block, easy.

And figured nobody has ever done valve stem seals, not like you'd notice it being any more smokey...

Was awkward, crawling round the engine, kneeling on things you shouldn't, laying on my stomach, slipping and punching the cam, flicking collets into the abyss. The usual.

Started out using compressed air to hold valves, ended up moving to TDC and made a wee Spring compressor from some thick stainless plate I had spare. Glad it's done now.

Also, this!

image_zpsshn9zoem.jpeg

Oooooh

image_zpso3n8acep.jpeg

Yaaaaay

50 years old but brand new!

I'm fairly broke but bored so looking for wee projects.

Sent an old turbo outlet gasket to my brother so he can make me a steel flange and I'll make a new mandrel dump pipe. Any flanges I found were stainless so flag that.

The factory down pipe is cast, ugly as all fuckery and made of 90 degree bends so must be balls for flow. Also the pipe from that is smaller than the rest of the system so will have 2.5in all the way.

Also have had a Nissan fuel primer and filter unit sitting round so must be due for a new filter, will swap this in at the same time.

I've only needed to bleed the system once but it was painful without a hand pump!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Blitzed another warrant today, celebrated by getting new shifter bushes for socket and ball.

Replaced those water hoses and whipped off oil cooler and re-sealed that, new oil filter.

Leaked oil much much worse than before so re-did it but left it for ages before filling and cranking up.

Sealed up, but now pushes oil out between sump and block, so got a gasket (was just RTV) not looking forward to that at all, cause it's been chopped to suit the x-member, it's really close and it's a big wide x-member so you can't get to a few bolts without painstakingly slow 1/8th turns with a Uni adapter. Last time I did have it off it was a huge job, and it got Hooked up on the pickup when it was close to coming out hahaha. There was such rage.

• Like 4

I got some stuff done.

Shifter bushes showed up from NZAD so threw them in but discovered there is a copper bush in the shifter lever,and mine was internally worn into a rugby ball shape so bottom nylon bush was too small.

image_zpselig4m8f.jpeg

So the next day at work I found some brass truck air fittings that were freebies and took one home that was a few mm off being right for the application...

image_zpssakcdsbt.jpeg

image_zpshl1sw39b.jpeg

Just happened to have a a dremel stone that was fairly close to 20mm so honed out the inside of the brass fitting.

image_zpsub884ipn.jpeg

Rummage around til you find something the right O.D

image_zpsy1xuaw6i.jpeg

Hand File and test

image_zpsgjl2euqo.jpeg

Then chopped off the bulk of the fitting, showing the rooted copper one.

image_zpsbscbhoqh.jpeg

Then knocked that bitch in with a socket on an extension.

image_zpsuk1qqh6j.jpeg

I put it all back together and it was sweet, but now that it's actually tight I came across an unforeseen issue.

The shifter has a rounded washer that's spring loaded against a rounded bolt on top cover and that had flogged out and worn a lip on the top cover.

So when I went for reverse the rounded washer got stuck against the cover and that was that.

I filed it as best I could being that it's dosent come apart and was in place, and saw that one side had worn worse than the other so rotated top plate 180 and put it back together.

Win!

Also, the fit of the brass bush was so perfect that I can't actually pull the fucking shifter out!

After a week or so of use it should free up.

That was Thursday, in the mean time I had received my laser cut turbo outlet flange, was fucking perfect. Just used an old gasket for a template.

I ran a drill through the bolt holes and it dropped straight onto my parts turbo. And it was lasery and smooth.

image_zpsxlzzwgps.jpeg

Went to local Pitstop that I do lots of parts for at work and they hooked me up 300mm of straight 2.5in and a U section the same size.

Here's the ugly cast Nissan dump pipe.

image_zpshpgyhpdj.jpeg

image_zpsxewyxvsj.jpeg

image_zpsgmg4w8j6.jpeg

Armed with a pizza box I traced the old setup and firewall clearance, then copied the U section pipe to card and cut templates, mocked it up and made some cuts.

Tested, tacked, tweaked, Jimmied and came up with this..

image_zpsj1rayxz7.jpeg

image_zpsiexeenh8.jpeg

I lobbed off all the 2*1/4 exhaust and now have 2.5 all the way through.

image_zps1joucgrq.jpeg

image_zpsegtj9ysk.jpeg

Sorry about the ugly welds, I don't have a working helmet. I did tweak the welder and it's going better than ever though, so it's not gonna fall apart. I heated the flange up before welding and let it cool completely.

It not as ugly as it was so I'm calling it a success

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thrilling update, with pictures even!

Gearbox output seal was rock solid and just started to leak so whipped another in and greased the UJs.

All went pretty easily, stoked.

Included the part number if anyone wants to re-do their W55/56/57/58 Toyota box.

image_zpsn1fmxe99.jpeg

image_zpsqyainknp.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...