Dangers 66 Pontiac Parisienne hearse

Mr.Mk1

I don't look out for hearses, they find me. It started with a black XE, continued with a Ranger and has landed me here with this..

I loved my VJ ranger, but found myself getting bored with it. I did all I wanted with it and got to a point where I didn't want to sink more money into a car when it wasn't what I really wanted.

I offered it up for sale or trades and got a message for a guy in greymouth asking if I was interested in a pontiac hearse.

Yes.

029E2C2E-64E1-41C6-976F-1E110DBC6864_zps

698E773D-BE12-4270-8CC1-9FE1D46F2BB7_zps

He worked weird hours and was a bit techtarded but I was keen. In 1995 it had been certified for an LD28 turbo, kingswood disc brakes and a dandy custom front.

I could see the potential and he said he had collected all the bits to put the front back on but his mate had sold his property so there was nowhere to store it or work on it. I needed to know that the original front was complete enough for me to swap it back to original. This was the deal breaker.

It had been parked for 1.5 yrs as he failed a wof on rust in the roof and stuffed rear shocks.

I tidied up my val as best I could, loaded up all my spares and set of steel wheels and drive over to the coast to check it out.

It was rougher than it looked in the pics and the electric tailgate motor wasn't working so I couldn't check out that area or pull out the parts inside, so went over it all the best I could. Needed love but I had love to give and needed a fresh auto to play with.

Went to test drive but the battery was shagged.

Got it going, went down his huge gravel road and all was well k's did a u-turn and stalled it...

He ran back to grab a car to jump it and we went back to his to swap the wheels over and head off.

Discussion Thread //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44193-mrmk1s-66-pontiac-parisienne-hearse/

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Torana hoses look to be a goer, they are longer too. Have also found some f100 hoses that are longer still so they will arrive 2moro and I'll assess the situation.. One on each side and move the hub up and down/ turn it, see what looks best.

Pulled the calipers off tonight to discover that the bottom sides have been rubbing on the discs and ground off about 3mm, thus putting a lip on the inside preventing the pads from moving in and out freely.

Filed them up and they are cool now. Pistons were very firm to remove so put them in and took them out half a dozen times to make sure the rubber was seated sweet and moving happier.

I think what's happened is that the pads have a spring clip that goes inside the piston and it may have moved enough/not gone square and bound up the sliders.

• Like 3

The F100 hoses were perfect.

All back together and bled.

One side still a bit hard to spin so will check the stub nut.

Have tidied up and painted below rear windows and some other wee scabs.

Fiddled with the handbrake and got some more adjustment out of it but not really good enough,

So have new drums coming tomorrow and new shoes just put in. This should help a lot.

The other cylinder I hadn't replaced, was just replaced... Rusted solid. How the fuck this thing stopped I do not know.

Broke an E-clip putting back together so bit shame it isn't finished but it's a 30 second fix when I get one from work 2moro.

I also got a roll of duct tape and taped up the holes in the seat then bombed them with paint a similar blue as the seat, a blind man would be impressed!

• Like 8

110551B3-5B97-492A-9329-CC3BA4457281_zps

Bit fucked.

728B2449-F819-4CB8-A01F-60B51D399DF3_zps

Not fucked

Then failed to bring home brake fluid so can't quite finish it.

Got really quiet at work this afternoon so tidied up showroom and found these dandy spanners that do metric, imperial and star. Purchased!

Wish I knew they existed 10 years ago when I started pissing around with cars..currently use budget bunnings spanners and freebies I've acquired so looking forward to trying them out and moving the old ones into the in-car toolkit.

• Like 2

70756F52-8211-4ACF-A06E-A3B31A3355BB_zps

E7740C21-97F2-47B6-B2C5-724B36581802_zps

555BD11D-DE04-4F9F-BCFA-87D0255F84D8_zps

64C69F88-4D68-4EEB-858B-666FE120B0E2_zps

4461E020-1760-4CCB-AD62-B693BA8858EB_zps

Few rando pictures from after I washed it this evening.

Got everything in the wof sheet sorted, then it wouldn't start.

Checked everything and jiggled wires etc.

Pulled the starter out and pulled apart, cleaned and greased it up and strummed straight back to life.

I have the head unit out awaiting the new one to arrive early next week.

• Like 9

Eagle eyes may notice I ditched the gay plastic chrome mirrors, have some chrome ones on the watch list just deciding between Maltese cross or skeleton hand.

Nah they are cheap period rectangular door mounts.

I also added my Wagoneers plaque, it took a hiding on the valiant as it scraped on every driveway so I had it screwed to the sub box on display. This bus doesn't seem as prone to that so I hung it on the towbar.

Also, john van beek the gc gave me some nylon and I hashed together a shifter bush.i Made it a bit short so there is some up/ down movement but otherwise worlds ahead of the insulation tape I had wrapped around it previously.

Toying with the idea of making some blue-dots for the lights in the rear bumper. They are corroded to shit so I'll have to murder the housings and add new bulb bezels and seal up nicely.

I think they were probably reverse lights?no word from wof guy so sails away I say

• Like 3

Failed the recheck on handbrake and front right wheel not spinning freely enough.

I'm thinking wheel bearings now.

And the handbrake, well I can stall the car while trying to take off with it on but the wof guy tests it on an incline and said it was better but not gonna hold up.

So I'll throw away the wacky home made stainless bracket that joins the cables and make my own, with scope for much more adjustment.

Good weekend of small jobs all done.

-Lowered the back a bit,

-put some rubber spacers in the front and lifted it heaps- not as cool but no guard rub and will finalise when I find a set of steelies.

-Cleaned up and straightened the scuff plates

Bolted sub box down

-More polishing inside and wiped down inside door jambs + paint where needed,

-Finished installing 6x9s and tidied + hid wiring,

-Got the glovebox lid sitting more flush

-Steering wheel off to clean the indicator contacts and investigate slop.. There's a bearing in there that's rooted and might be missing a spring to stop in/out movement. The indicator wasn't returning on left turns but the dash stopped flashing so wasn't worried. Until I realised that it was continuing to flash. Must have looked like a tard until now. Made worse by the fact that the indicators are red, start off flashing slow and speed up. I have ordered a new relay in the hopes of fixing that.

- moved exhaust up higher on the rear as the leading diff arm was hitting the pipe on decent bumps

- thinners'd off more overspray

- took the rear chrome arch trim off rusty side to investigate, not much to see so wire wheeled the scabs and zinc + painted.

- made stops for the seat belt buckles so they don't need to be fished up off the floor

- stashed my spare key in case of emergency

- organised jack n wheel brace positioning

- while I had the kick panels off for wiring I noticed that the air vent pull cable was gone. Found it amongst the spares so oiled it and freed it up, whacked it back in. Pretty cluttered in that corner with the handbrake release, heater switch and vent knob.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

ACC685DB-7EAC-4D67-9338-5FB5E88431DD_zps

I fucked off the bogan wheels and got some 56 belair steels with spider caps and brand new dress rings.

Now it looks like this

EB858B51-534F-439B-83E8-16E8BE727708_zps

The rings are ultra hard to get on and I don't trust them not to fly off, the caps need screwed on and there's not enough space to get a screw home. Also snow tyres ( sticky 195 60 15 Bridgestone blizzaks) another top purchase on my behalf (sarcasm)

Brand new nuts from work look nice.

Will try for blue walls next week but real understaffed at work so might be a push to get time (rage).

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Blue walls will be a bit darker than id hoped so staying white for now, guys coming to do them this weekend and touch up the lady's datsun ones.

Bullet caps won't work as there's not enough space between hub and rim.. Ultra shithouse but will come up with something adequate.

31E96CCF-274B-42FA-AB8A-5E5BC22C0527_zps

The profile of the rim is not conducive to happy placement of trim rings. My only option is to glue them on or hold out for different rims.

I got sick of the sun bleached gumbo door card carpets so gave them a dose

3F5450EC-6820-45A8-B68C-B3961276BB79_zps

578AB599-ECF7-432F-A27C-07EF7303E019_zps

Still average but will look good for 6 months.

Also took rear number plate off and cleaned up the mess

Behind it, cleaned up the plate, bent to suit bumper and blew it back on. It always sat hammy because it's only bolted at the bottom so the top sat outward.

Dane the king-status GC has given me the filler panel between the bumper and grille, yet to

Get inspired enough to tear the bumper off and put it on. Also need to repair 1x under light splash guard and replicate another from scratch for the other side.. To fit at the same time.

Broke off my Wagoneers plaque, that was depressing.

Threw a new thermostat in just incase it wasn't 100%.

The shifter was always loose, even with a new bush. Hated it. I found a piece of copper pipe that had the same ID as my slightly-too-small bush, gave it a wee linnish and threw it in, shifts wonderfully now!

Took it on a decent run, about 6hr round trip and slept in it, went great and returned good mileage, even though it was revving hard and fully maxing at 90.

Rapt.

Really staring to pine the old girl now, the search for comfort mods and chrome bits is intensifying.

Have priced up new bailey channel and door rubbers, not bad. Carpet higher on the list than rubbers though.

Looking to find a good piece of lace to pattern the roof to match the red wheels, also

Make Some Curtains for the rear windows.

Probably ditch the alloy slats under the roof racks for a cleaner look

• Like 7

4231A961-2457-4858-9B11-9E5A4363CDB6_zps

Got the lady's whitewalls re-done and mine applied today!

FF53384E-7F2D-4650-B8E8-0431C82E4550_zps

Then I took the skids off under the roof rack as it was a bit cluttered.

1E8917DE-3FE0-4110-A0C5-615A24D9C62A_zps

Then i took everything off!

Looks quite sweet.

32342716-9DB9-4F0A-8FF4-1FD280133E6A_zps

E5565BB0-CFD1-46DA-885D-A449BBB41871_zps

DBF89C7D-D962-4A6E-8F8E-8DD2826C2F5F_zps

0BC61B9E-EE34-4494-A584-49BD2877D351_zps

90A51F42-5D21-4223-8CE3-A336E895C69A_zps

I knew this was a possibility, had some big ole bubbles around the foot of the roof rack.

2503B307-177B-471F-A3F3-ED55CF67A160_zps

About palm sized. Gone! And no hood lining fires!

I then had to take all the holes back to steel to get any crustyness off. Then zinc sprayed.

I also hit all the bubbly bits of which there were a few dozen. Almost all came up good, couple of pinholes.

Since I'm so bloody indecisive, I've just bogged the skid plate screw holes because I'll more than likely put everything back on again one day and fuck re-drilling them.

Will put a dob of black sealer in the foot holes so I can screw straight back through and they will be water tight.

• Like 2

Made some radiator support panel bushes from some freebie non stocked urethane at work.

Has changed the front a fair bit. I'll have to re-align the grille to suit.. But that can wait till I finish the filler panels and install. Now the bumper dosent rub on the guard!

Also put the old thermostat back in, for some reason the tridon one made it run a bit warmer, and especially so in hot weather. So will keep that one for winter :-)