Post war British hard tail goodness

Flauski

Royal Enfield owners are quite lucky, there is a place called Hitchcocks in the UK that bought up all the old dealer stock and remanufactures heaps of new parts. They have full part number oem diagrams for all Enfield models. They make stuff out of British steel too for those that have new Enfields from India that use muck metal.

I looked at listing for primary chain but all it says in 74 pitches and the oem part no.

I can still get almost any part for my bike though pound to NZD still sucks.

I got some more photos of the old owner and his mate looking like a couple of tough c's but I'm not going to put them on net. Wish I knew where or when the b&w photo was taken.

Have you got a thread for your ariel? Keen to have a look.

• Like 1

oh cool man, glad you can get new stz, wallet thickness dependent haha. think the saddle on the ariel was a royale enefieldo repro. must have been built for two people side by side, and has long since been repurposed.  yeah a well outdated ariel thread, i gave up a while back and too scared to look at it now!  lookin forward to getting the box back whenever that happens.

a couple hours ago i yarned with/got yarned at by a geezer, he was pretty sure i want a 428 chain which i think looks right. told me about the GCs in welly area who can help with these things. i had to back out of the store mid conversation haha

are you going to bother with jazzing up the motor or roll as-is?

Roll as is, not much I can do to jazz up.

There is a whole lot of knowledge out there however people that house it don't generally use the internet and I have only met a few. I seem to be in the wrong demographic for this age of bike too at 34.

Forgot to say on here that the Enfield club in England hold all the old ledgers for all sales of their bikes. I contacted them to find some history. Several photos later and after discovery of a hidden out of sight engine no. I found out this particular bike has matching engine cases, matching engine and frame no.

Each side of engine case stamped with unique no.

Engine then stamped with a hidden no.

Engine then stamped when put in a frame.

Original ledger lists all these numbers.

I also found out its actually a 1949 model, it was ordered on 11th August 1949 by Australian distributor E. C. A in Sydney and shipped out completed on 28th August same year.

Where in nz are you? Please start a thread for your ariel.

• Like 1

New battery arrived. I fixed a couple of earth connections (the only two the bike has) and re-did the tappet timing.

20150430_104225.jpg

20150430_104212.jpg

20150430_104156.jpg

First two photos are blurry because my coffee this morning actually gave me the shakes! 

Bottom picture shows the 'easy to adjust' tappet timing. Nuts on bottom of pushrods as seen raises/lowers pushrod to adjust tappet gap.

Swivel thing on exhaust/right pushrod is connected to the decompression lever.

When decompression lever on handlebars is pulled it lifts the exhaust valve to decompress the cylinder. It is also used as the factory means of stopping the engine from running as unlike modern bikes, there is no off switch!

• Like 2

Shortened up my accelerator cable and choke cable to suit the newer 626 carb and fitted fuel lines.

Kicked it in the guts, then kicked it again and again and again and again... oh and again. So much that I got sweaty and pulled a groin muscle I never knew I had.

Messed with the magneto retard lever a lot, have no idea how much to retard... full retard or mild retarded? tried all 150 degrees of retard.

Got desperate and squirted some engine starter in, got it running for 0.5 seconds.

Fixed fuel bowl tickler not working , tried again. Nothing but now making a squeaky sucking noise coming from carb as I kick it. Think its leaking at the flange where carb meets spacer. Stupid Amal muck metal. Sooooo I'm gonna replace the gasket with what it should have, a thin rubber o-ring that should seal better.

Veteran cycle lyfe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its alive!!! (and that means its time to sell, haha!)

Tweaked the retard/choke about 1000 more times, still had good spark and fuel. Problem solved and lashed out  buying a new $6 spark plug , it fired up almost straight away! Its always something simple damn it!

It smoked me out in the garage due to wet sumping (dry sump normally but they wet sump when sitting.)

So I wheeled it out and made this;

• Like 3