Taistorm

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taistorm

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is a story all about hoooow, my life got switched turned upside down...

Anyway so this is finally in my hands now. Well was for a few days...

Stumbled across this gem when one of my customers called me up to try and get a value on it as the son of the guy building the house next to hers was keen. Talked shit about the condition and history of it then grabbed her details and called her after work to get some further info on the car. Got me some pics then threw in and offer and it is now mine.

It has been in the same family since new. Her father brought it new, drove the shit out of it then gave it to his son. The son then drove the shit out of it then the 1300 went to their cousin and eventually came back to the daughter who had since had til last week. It was originally from Adelaide but then brought over to southern Western Australia, the previous owner was going to eventually restore it with her husband who unfortunately got ill and passed away, because of this she didn't believe she could bring it back to it's former glory so rather than taking it back to Adelaide with her she decided to sell it. So this is how it ended up in my hands. I have the original dealership papers and a whole bunch of servicing docs that date back to 80's and 90's as well as about 3 different workshop manuals. The previous owners must have absolutely loved the thing when it was in its prime.

Rough is a good way to describe it but it's straight and pretty O.G. Engine drives beautifully and is surprisngly quick for the little 1300, almost feels like it's got a mild cam in it. Has an exhaust leak which makes it sound grunty as fuck haha.

Shows 56,000miles on the clock but i'd say it has probably gone around the clock atleast once. Rust is pretty minimal, there's the obvious that i've posted pics of but with a bit of digging im sure there will be more lurking.

Interior has seen better days. After removing the 2 sets of seat covers, the bottom of both front seats and rear all need upholstery work which was expected. Hoodlining needs some repairs and carpet needs replacement. The dash apparently has heaps of cracks but has had carpet fitted to cover it up for the mean time so looks OK at the moment.

• Like 1

So yeah pretty sure that this has had a combo of resprayed sections and hand painted sections as there are signs of over spray and also heaps of brush strokes. I think it makes it look badass and weathered, will give it a polish back and see if goes from oxidized pink to the O.G red it once was. 

It has has heaps of hori fixes including modifying a halogen bulb in a far for the boot light, house carpet stuck on car mats tek screwed to the original fucked carpet. no.8 wire used all over the show and this lol fix on the broken muffler..

mgw4.jpg

The brakes are also almost oblivious and clutch is gone. made fun times driving it to the workshop this morning.

Anyway I've got some big plans for this which are literally happening. Yes i've been talking a shit out my previous cars including my KP61 and GZ10 however this is actually happening as I have funds available now. I've dropped it off at Hugh at Tyrepro whom is a local Rotary guru (there's only a handful of workshops around here that specialize in rotaries and have only heard good things about what this guy gets up to so should be good). I put together a list with Hugh today about a full engine conversion that will be taking place over the next few months.

The list includes:

-13b bp (unsure if going to go ID fuel injection setup or IDA carby).
-s4/5 transmission
-Hilux diff in rear
-Brake upgrade (unsure at this stage maybe s4/5 4pots in front and hilux rear brakes).
-Fuel system upgrades including lift pump and surge tank.
-New brake lines and fuel lines (braided)
-Oil cooler and alloy rad with thermo fan.
-Chromoly flywheel and uprated clutch.
-New leaf springs with torsion bar and panhard rod.
-Might go coilover setup in front.
-Nolathane bushes.
-Gussetting and stitch-welding in the engine bay.
-Probably going full stainless exhaust system.
-Convert stud pattern to 4x114

Plus all the other crap to get it legit, do it once do it right ay.

The body wont be getting a hellovalot of attention at this stage.

What I have in mind is..

-Patch up the obvious rust.
-Those kind of round Datsun Z style fender mirrors (black with the chrome lip).
-I'm undecided on blacked out bolt on flares (I love the shape of the 1300s but I reckon it would make it look so staunch but will be a mission on the rear guards).
-Black ducktail spoiler or black/carbonfibre hakosuka style spoiler.
-Maybe a black chin lip.
-Period style racing stripe w/stencil or decal towards rear quarter or door.

I love the retro japanese racer look and I reckon this could pull of pretty swell. Will tidy up the bumpers and give them a polish. I'm thinking about plasti dipping the grill a flat black and also might convert the tailights and rear garnish to r100/rx2 but will see how money goes.

My friend reckons he has a set of original Hayashi Yayoi Sakura wheels that he will sell me so waiting on him getting them up from lockup and if they're legit i'll be buying them :):):D:D.

So yeah that's pretty much it.

Let me know what you think.

Chur,

Tai.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

910e03.jpg
ecda99.jpgd2de96.jpg

How she's sitting as of last Saturday. Hugh's been sorting out measurements for the drive shaft, were trying to get a hold of an early Hilux one but tis a bit of a mission so just going to shorten/balance a later model one. Also have a Hilux diff on the way, once arrived will measure up then sent off to have the axles shortened.

The engines also getting built up this week so hopefully next time I check it out, it will be mocked up and dummied up in the huge engine bay.

So much excite! 

Chur,

Tai.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so it's been awhile and there hasn't been a huge amount of progress but thinks are coming along... Parts have been ordered and things are getting stripped.

Was hoping that the engine would be built by now but we ended up getting some one piece seals in from the US. Hilux diff has been shortened so fitment will be in the mix shortly. Also have a PWR alloy radiator on the way.

The engine bay has now been fully cleared and is being stripped, gusseted and strengthened up for the new powerplant (and hopefully will be painted up shortly). Some of you will probably hate the colour i've gone with for the engine bay but i couldn't care less haha so I wont give anything away yet.

Will get some pictures up when more progress is had.

Chur,

Tai.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably about time for an update...

Haven't been able to get any proper pics but things have been happening. The engine bay has been sand blasted back and some gussets have been welded in. We have removed the factory heater unit and will be welding it up and replacing with an aftermarket demister unit.

The engine has been built  :-)  :-) !!! Have no pictures yet but i'm over the moon. Have gone for an IP bridgeport, so pretty much just under a J-port. Have had the rotors lightened, engine balanced, chamfered E-Shaft, 3mm ceramic 1pc Apex seals which has been dummy fitted. Also have a 20b cushioned button clutch with a lightened chromoly flywheel, 50mm Injection Perfection twin ITB setup and all the other engine ancillaries. Have also got a Gilmer pulley kit for wank factor (don't judge) which will be anodised black.

Other bits to be fitted..

Cusco AE86 front coilovers, new leaves to drop it about 50mm in the rear (may also run blocks if not slammed enough but needs to be able to get up my killer driveway), torsion rod, willwood dynalite front brakes, fd rear calipers.

I think that's the gist of it so far, spent the last hour or so polishing up the front bumper, not as straight as I thought it was but will do for now.

10305948_10154694398775459_2335303419172

Have also ordered some wheels :).

matudazh-img600x450-1406508856zj6moc2665

14x7-1 and 14x7.5-6 weeeeooow.

That is all for now.

Chur,

Tai.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so more progress on the mighty Mazda.

Progress has been slow over the last few weeks, still no pictures of the engine setup but you can be patient. Anyway a few purchases have arrive at my door which include the following...

post-7603-0-95714900-1415875213_thumb.jpg

And

post-7603-0-94138000-1415875230_thumb.jpg

You may be thinking.. "Oooosh! They don't look like XR4 Longchamps??". Apparently the Longchamps were already sold before I purchased them so that fell through. Managed to score these from the homeland through the legends of Pine Engineering in ChCh, specs are 14x7 -2. Not as aggressive as I was hoping for but may look at widening in the future. For the meantime will polish them up and paint the centers (thinking red or gold with the raised spokes polished or maybe even copper coat).

The mirrors are repro 70's ra/ta Celica mirrors. Paid far more than I should have but I was sick of trawling yahoo japan and ebay.

Also received an ECU but the order was mucked so getting the right one tomorrow. Will be running a Haltech Sprint RE, not sure on the ignition setup yet but will get to that when we need to.

Another pair of wheels should be here next week as well so stay tuned.

Chur,

Tai

• Like 2

Cusco AE86 struts, shortened axles and diff center. Ended up going Hilux 4 pinion open center rather than LSD, was talked out of using a Hilux LSD due to strength so going to save up and upgrade to an after market LSD at some point.

post-7603-0-54042900-1416026433_thumb.jpgpost-7603-0-15240600-1416026442_thumb.jpg

Other bits and pieces including Willwood Dynalites and the Alloy rad in the box.

post-7603-0-97651400-1416026473_thumb.jpg

Will be dummyfitting the engine again this weekend and be working on the suspension setup next week. Will hopefully have it on all 4s for the first time in 5 months :)

Opinions and shit talk always appreciated //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44085-tai-scamps-mazda-1300/?hl=%2Bmazda+%2B1300

Cheers for looking,

Tai

• Like 6

More wheels arrived!!

Hayashi TRV's 14x6.5 +9

post-7603-0-73255400-1416395412_thumb.jpg

Also got the right ECU this time around.

post-7603-0-93721600-1416395426_thumb.jpg

So turns out there's a lot more rust than I was hoping for but ah well. I have ordered a replacement front floor pan as it's cheap enough and easier than patching up, coming from Phil's Rotaries which I have heard pretty mixed feedback about so fingers crossed.

There's also rust in the boot/around the spare wheel well that requires attention so will need to get that sorted. Ahhh more money I don't have to spend >.<.

Cheers,

Tai.

• Like 3

Wing mirrors are now 'Savannah GT' spec, but really just plasti-dipped them. Plasti dip is pretty awesome to work with I must say!

post-7603-0-83555000-1417433677_thumb.jpg

Also had a go at polishing the SSR's..

Before
post-7603-0-12769200-1417433843_thumb.jpg

After
post-7603-0-24692800-1417433863_thumb.jpg

I don't have the patience to get out all the pitting and I'm no Simon when it comes to polishing/mirror steeze but I'm happy with the outcome.

That is all for now.

Chur

• Like 3

More pics of the wheels :)

post-7603-0-40628000-1417753253_thumb.jpg

Wasn't able to polish up the Jilbas too well close to the bolts but i'm very stoked with how it's all turned out anyway. Gave them another once over polish before I dropped them off. Now time to work out tires and sizing, any suggestions on what to go for, i'm pretty clueless when it comes to tires but have heard Bridgestone Potenzas are the tits for street.

And a bit of progress on the engine..

Intake setup mounted up, will check clearances with bonnet to see if we can get any taller trumpets for extra dort then I can sus out the airfilter (probably going ITG or Pipercross).

post-7603-0-28812900-1417753265_thumb.jpg

Also the oil cooler mocked up...

post-7603-0-04371100-1417753273_thumb.jpg

Will be hiding it behind the bumper but may run lines out the front and curl back in for mild boso.

Today the oil cooler and radiator should be mounted also the rx4 crossmember shortened and redrilled. The engine will probably come forward a little, clearance will be tight between the e-shaft pulley and radiator (maybe about 20mm) so will be putting a electric radiator fan on the front. 

Chur

• Like 3