itjlggfv.1ca.jpg

nmfxccem.tcr.jpg

emrxa224.dss.jpg

clldpdil.prt.jpg

3wdxvqhl.und.jpg

mwgb4puz.3sr.jpg

4lcowea5.quj.jpg

Been pretty busy.

Made a start on doors, drivers side was worse, cut whole bottom off and remade it.  Need to start on passengers door now, which only has a couple of spots and not as much bog inside the rust.  These are my spare doors, the ones that came on the car (as opposed to these ones inside) have all the mechanicals in glass in them, so that will all need to be swapped over once i get to that stage.  

Hung the repaired doors and made 1st attempt to fit the Taiwan spec front guards and began to find the quality, which is average but usable.  

Been working towards painting the underside and interior for a few weeks, and finally happy with the rust repairs and priming with Brunox.  Paint went on nice, but i could have done with a little more, so may do a 2nd coat yet.  

Havent done engine bay at this stage as i will prob do that in body color. 

Was some discussion about keeping cars like this the factory original color, but i just dont know if i can deal with the factory green.

15829.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another busy day. 

Got a new rain drip rail for the left rear window, very happy with how it turned out. Was going to cost 180 to get one made by APC in Aussie and get it shipped over. This one was folded by me at a mates metal shop, then trimmed and bent to shape. 

I've finished the rust repairs on both doors and hung them and got them as square as i can given the play in the hinges (any sources in NZ for new ones?)

Fitted guards and started to move them around to get them lined up, and then fitted the front valance and started to square it up and make it look pretty.

343xbj52.kem.jpg
x2u5fcnp.5bb.jpg
xl4xyqz5.pc3.jpg
uilzzs4z.1rw.jpg

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43814-darryls-3rd-1200-coupe-discuss/

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Been a while since a update, but been working away on the car

Now has basically no paint on it, and no nearly no bog or other fillers.

vt1nrtgy.klv.jpg

5kd2qqjz.5ev.jpg

ajfdlmhw.1z4.jpg

xnh2n0a5.0fw.jpg

0tvezcr4.gt0.jpg

jbka1w1n.vuk.jpg

Ive got 4 litre of Durapox to spray on, will mask it up this weekend, hit some bits with brunox and then work on some sort of spray booth or heaps of drop cloths so i dont spray my whole garage too.

Ive managed to remove a lot of filler and panel beat the dents out to a more reasonable level, some im pretty sure will be all but invisible.  

Doors are on the bench getting the insides and window frames stripped of old paint atm, then final cleanup on boot lid and hood.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
pbion5ve.1zp.jpeg

2ctrfkf3.xrq.jpeg

Picked up some boot trim today, its the little things that feel good for fit and finish.

Car is nearly ready for paint, hopefully spray some primer this weekend, and have the top coat sitting ready to go.

Working all the time on missing parts, and getting some stuff together for intake for engine.  Im going to run 4age throttle bodies and a modified nissan ecu, running map sensor/tps.  A nissan distributor will be modified to suit as a trigger for ecu, and is internal coil so nice and tidy.

My workshop is covered in sanding dust atm, cant wait to get some paint on and begin to bolt stuff to the car again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Big day today, after a lot of prep and sanding, finally got some 2k primer on the car.

Made a spray booth up out of a $149 Mitre 10 party tent, and a big fan in window with a duct at back of tent to keep fumes down.

Used Durapox 2k.  Ordered grey as the car will be white, took can out of box and its Black!  Argh.  Panic.  What the hell, its Waitangi day, but worth the phone call, and put dude was there, told me to come over and swapped for light grey, whew!

Brand new gun performed like a champ, but learnt that filtering the paint is a must, got a few splatters in a few places.  

Big thanks to James for running the gun, was a team effort to keep the paint mixed when required and move things aorund

ohe4diuh.gw0.jpg
i5a5eecx.duq.jpg
ty3vuovj.3nw.jpg
tiyvdosd.so2.jpg
5xdd3pss.eqz.jpg
1zuj5tp0.oag.jpg
x5adnszf.wox.jpg
zogr4b0r.p0b.jpg
b0dttwlw.zcu.jpg
0onyh5sp.5a5.jpg
3avv3iab.ogg.jpg
35rrdhjz.vty.jpg
uuk2yhib.4eb.jpg
gs23fpfj.dzu.jpg
qreil43z.dyi.jpg
ldoaon4j.vqn.jpg
t1x00ygw.xqy.jpg
wzh0kyjz.x2m.jpg
qtciwp3e.lqc.jpg
qrnezuc3.uow.jpg
enc5crzo.tnv.jpg
5ew3qork.f2j.jpg
resllz5e.nwl.jpg
r0lixjjt.kwc.jpg

Come a long way!

tu0kgi2e.huh.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
Well ive been pretty busy.  Blocked all the primer back, fixed a few bits i wasnt happy with, and then laid another coat of 2k primer on again last weekend.

No point posting pics, as it looks same as last time.

But ive mixed the color, so close to it.

p32avj3f.iz4.jpg

The large patch is what it is atm, i might add a little more tint to it as its maybe a little lighter than No2 atm. No3 is way too dark, its almost got a green tinge which is too much, prob want it to be close to No1 sample.

Next step is to fire some color on the jambs, engine bay and inside all the panels, then i can do a fine blocking of the primer and sand off any over spray, then fit all the panels for final color coat.

• Like 1

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43814-darryls-3rd-1200-coupe-discuss/

Thoughts on the color? It looks a bit cream atm, but then the sample taken outside looks more like what i wanted.

Next step is to sand the overspray and block the primer with maybe 400 grit, then i can put all the doors and panels on and get them lined up ready for top coat paint over the rest of the body

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Before

qtq3wgnl.gdn.jpg

After

kehy5b5u.ktm.jpg

mn4njstw.mkt.jpg
r2gsjixp.1fb.jpg

This has been a long drawn out job, only in my spare time.  Will be loosing this workshop soon so needed to get the paint on it before winter.  

Bought a Iwata gun for the final coat, instead of the $150 gun i used for the primer. Just didnt want the risk of it going on bad, glad i did, but prob could have done ok with the cheap gun too.  

Now it turns into a assembly job, which is going to be prob as much work as the panel and paint, in that its never really been assembled before, so its going to be like a jigsaw puzzle, without the box, and grey side up!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The strut brace seems to have really tightened up the front end of the car.  Pt Chev on ramp, long circular curve, holds a constant and clean line.

Thanks to NzDatsunParts for supply.  Just wish a LSD was as easy to get. And cheaper.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Did an autocross at Mt Smart yesterday with Sports car club.  Hard to find venues for this type of event now, so was 140 entry per car.  30 car max.  Got 6 runs, 2 lap flying start and finish.  I was middle of field, most fast cars were running semi slicks or race tires.  Car needs more power, and some castor and camber, and maybe a rear roll bar.

• Like 7