Harveys 1975 Mazda b1600 - Restore w/Engine swap *Discussion*

Discussion thread for - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43713-harveys-1975-mazda-b1600-restore-wengine-swap/

Basically needing help deciding what engine to chuck in it?

Also not wanting to spent my right leg on the swap, although i understand replacing

diff, brakes, drivetrain, trans, engine mounts etc etc AND ENGINE..

is not going to be cheap.

But so far the terms "1uzfe" and "3sge Beams" have popped up..

Thoughts anyone? Cheers :)

Buy an engine designed for lugging shit around, i.e. not a 3SGE or SR20 or whatever. Having to be at 6000rpm to shift your half tonne of produce will suck balls. 1UZ would be ok but thirsty, but then again, any petrol engine that has to haul around that much weight will be. 

Other than that it's fricken sweet. I considered taking up plumbing or electrical just so I could have some sort of unusual promo/work van.

Buick 3.8 V6.

No joke.

Cheap, reliable, simple, rugged, ample torque (for what you have in mind) and parts are easily obtainable.

If you were happy with a four-speed automatic then it would be the cheapest conversion.

But the best suggestion so far has been the 1KZ diesel Toyota motor.

If going down the diesel route, I'd choose an Isuzu 4JG2 3.1 turbodiesel. Because they're extremely easy (and cheap) to rebuild and you can buy an entire donor vehicle with a blown headgasket or cracked head or similar for less than a grand. Take the engine/trans/wiring etc and sell the remaining parts and your total outlay will be very minimal. Most commonly found in Isuzu Bighorns.

Big Job? BigHorn.

• Like 2

Even a 2l ma motor could do?

Bolt in fit ad usually come with a 5 speed. Commonly found in rwd 626's.

Surely running a business you dont want the ute to be out of commission for yonks, andfor the 2l MA its a weekend job

• Like 1