Kicker's RD400

kicker

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UJ registers his interest in this particular build, and hopes to gain sweet tips of parts sources (etc.) in the coming months.

Also: Going wire wheel was the best move ever IMO.

A good local site is www.plenternz.com, some stuff is cheap some isn't

ebay of course has lots of new old stock available

The funny thing is the '76 RD400 (which is the model I have) was the first production motorcycle to have cast wheels so they should be cool but they aren't, also maybe due to Yamaha being overly cautious using cast wheels for the first time they are actually quite a lot heavier than the wire wheels, the later models finally got lighter ones but they still ugly.

Here's my spendy rear wheel, could have gotten a cheaper drum brake one but this lets me keep the disc brake which was also fancy for the time, these wheels only appeared in the European market as an option which wasn't very popular from what I can tell.  

%2524_12.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update, have acquired a few more parts like some nice Dyna coils. Cylinders have been bored and are ready to go, will probably sort the engine in a couple weeks once work quietens down.

Have been playing with the frame a bit, cutting some stuff off like the centrestand mounts and sidepanel lugs (haven't got any panels anyway haha)

Spent ages thinking how I wanted to do the tail unit, fab one out of steel or fibreglass, buy an off the shelf unit blah blah.

Eventually I found a GS550 tail unit which had the shape I wanted, height and length are good, just need to section the middle a bit to thin it down

20140911_165906.jpg

It's not sitting as far back as I want here, just mocking up the lines

20140911_165819.jpg

Bit too wide but pretty close

20140911_165857.jpg

• Like 8

Jesus! RD400 Coffin Tank.

I had a miss spent couple of months with one of these in my youth, freeking awesome bike, but truly death on a stick. handling and braking I seem to remember were optional, but performance was exceptional. mine used to foul the plugs in town and you'd have to rev them clean, resulting in funny looks followed by monster wheelies :)

Jesus! RD400 Coffin Tank.

I had a miss spent couple of months with one of these in my youth, freeking awesome bike, but truly death on a stick. handling and braking I seem to remember were optional, but performance was exceptional. mine used to foul the plugs in town and you'd have to rev them clean, resulting in funny looks followed by monster wheelies :)

Haha awesome, that's exactly the experience I'm hoping for

thats looking good man, that rear tail section fits in pretty sweet. Ready for Gentlemans ride then?

If I got a few solid days it might be possible, just a lot of little jobs which will add up, making brackets, spacers etc

Will probably jump on my C90 for it.

On the subject of brakes, I have these on the way

600x450-2014090605980.jpg

600x450-2014082800035.jpg

A 1/2" master off a CBR400 and some 4 pot calipers off a TZR250, the early TZR's have the same 83mm mount spacing as the RD. I'm only using one caliper and have matched the master to it accordingly, this site here has some good info  http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

My ratio is about 23:1 so will give a firm lever like all your mums amirite

• Like 3