Nominal's 1964 Mercury

Nominal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The one I used initially had a 1" bore (IIRC), so for a particular amount of pedal pressure, the hydraulic line pressure wasn't good enough to really get the discs working. You could stomp on the pedal, but it took a while to stop (car is 2 tonnes). Going to a smaller diameter master gets more line pressure for the same pedal pressure so the brakes work better. The trade off is greater travel at the pedal. There are ways to calculate all this, but I find it hard to approach without some sort of starting point.

Andy Smith reckoned at 20mm (13/16) M/C would be best, but I found the Corolla one first so decided to try that out. I might hunt down some better front brake pads too. Right now it has C-Plus pads from BNT. Surely there is something a bit more 'grabby' out there?

The actual test is stopping from 100kmh within 4.4 seconds, which it does do (just), and repeating this 3 (or is it 5) times within a certain period to check for fade.

and those are some beefy as fuck arms for your link setup.

is that the smallest you can use according to the hand book?

As I read it, yeah. There is a table in the book, and since this is a full size, heavy car, the 1" Sch 80 is the spec.  Next size down is 7/8 sch 80. Makes me worry what the links GBRC made for my Minor are. I wonder if the spec has changed over time.

They turn out heavy duty, that's for sure. Like stockcar-spec strong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've got narrow whitewalls from the supremes, but keeping them white was such a pain, that the white part is going on the inside this time.

Best thing I've found for keeping whitewalls or White lettering clean is a product called liquid buffer by Tip Top. It's a solvent but designed for use on tyres. Its intended use is for cleaning the inner liner of a tyre when doing a puncture repair.

I always feel like a useless cunt when you post.

But then, I also learn shit tonnes because you solve the problems I have and I can follow your path, and that makes my life easier, so cheers for that, it's awesome.

Heh, you don't know how long it takes to get these things done. Also note that my real project (the Minor) hasn't been updated for ages.

• 2 months later...

There's no regulator in the stock system AFAIK - the mechanical pump has enough grunt to spray petrol everywhere when worked by hand off the car :)

Now running the carter electrical pump straight to the carb - I haven't noticed any problems. There is a filter between the tank and pump.