2tgeu start and run for a few seconds then die

hillman1

Hey guys after a little bit of advice of where to start trouble shoting have just droped a new 2tgeu Into my hunter and wireded it up according to wiring diagram the trouble is when I crank the starter it will fire up but only run for a few seconds then back fire threw intake not a timing issue its a fuel issue I think I'm pretty Shure the injectors are not pulsing runs with ether sprayed down Intake dose same ring with afm plugged in or not starting to get harased by the Inlaws for it being in there shead was only ment to be there over Easter weekend lol it has spark good fuel pressure and I'm stumped is there anyone in the know with 2tgs wiring any help would be much apreciated

• Like 1

Yea Shure will will also keep runing alltho like an over fueling pos if I earth out injectors and pulse manually have tried replacing all engine/batter/ecu earths tried 3 diffrent Ecus 3 diffrent injector resistors brand new coil as ecu only controls fuel and dizzy / coil supply engine speed ect to ecu is good power at ecu plugs coils read 12v on both sides of plug also tried 3 diffrent sets of injectors all been back flushed/cleaned and tested to open and not leak

Tps needs the correct values sent 5 v in and then ones an earth that and the third is the one sending values back... If its got 4 wires ones an idle sense. Multimeter and feeler gauges to set resistance at particular stages of its rev cycle... is throttle body and tps all Og?

• 1 month later...

does sound like afm.  I had this happen and can't remember what caused it.  helpfull aye.  was over a decade ago so meh.  possibly split the intake hose.  I could rev it up if i pushed the afm flap in to match the revs it was doing.

You double sure you have no leaks between the afm and engine?  check the afm plug has all the pins in the plug and in the afm.  can be possible for a pin to drop out or bend.

check the afm flap moves smoothly.  You can test the tps using an ohmeter on the plug pins.  I don't have the specs in front of me sorry.  

Could possibly be dodgy wiring on the ecu pins for afm too.

You could check the afm is working by running it at idle, then push a rod thru the afm flap slowly.  the more you push the flap, the more it richens the fuel mix untill it bogs out and sputters.   if you push the flap in and nothing happens then ecu is not getting any afm signal.

The engine will still run with the tps unplugged.  a wavy idle can be due to the tps not engaging the idle switch.  The tps is a basic idle + full throttle switch.  not the variable resistance tps as explained by 77magnum.  You can pull the black cover off (unclip tab at top and bottom then swing the case out from the side) and see if one of the switches engages at idle.   If it doesn't engage, it just means the ecu will be adjusting a/f mixture using the oxy sensor (like it does whilst cruising).   But at idle it doesn't react fast enough and the idle speed can fluctuate.  It's not uncommon for the plastic knob thing on the throttle shaft to wear out from vibration.   If it's seriously worn then jam a piece of icecream container lid around it.   The tps are common to other early 80's efi toyota's if you need to replace it.

hmm yea the fuel pressure reg are common to split the diaphragm with age.  can check just by removing the vacuum hose from it with engine running.   it'll piss fuel out of the vacuum connection if it's fubar.

can you take a pic of the engine and in particular the hoses on the intake plenum?  i may be able to spot anything out of place.

Yea can slowly move afm flap with trottel and it will rev a bit more fuel pressure reg is allgood but dose fluctuate at idle th wiring is dodgy as fuck but every thing is geting back to ecu if you get what I mean will have a look at the tps and see if it is worn I have tryed a spare tps but there was no difference at all realy do t have that much time to play with it every thing is half done but I want to get it runing properly before I tidy everything up

sounds like afm is working.  any hissing around the intake pipes or intake plenum with engine running?

fuel pump going in correct direction?  if you pull the return hose off (firewall end with regulator) and put the pipe in a glass jar to collect fuel.  turn pump on and make sure it's pumping through from the rail.