Low'n'slows Vauxhall Chevette 10 second car

Easist way to check if the resister wire is still in the loom and hasnt been removed or bypassed etc is to grab a multimeter flick the ignition ON and measure the voltage.

I had the same issue many years ago with a torana. Turned out someone had replaced the wire with a normal piece of wire (may have been damaged? So thought they were doing right thing??)

So instead of the 9volts? (I think its meant to be?) It was recieving the full battery voltage. 12-14volts so coils and condensers etc were only lasting a week to a few days of driving.

It did make the job of installing an electronic dizzy setup easier tho lol.

Can still run electric dizzy on a ballast resistor coil setup. I do on my 13b.. two coils tho.

Ā 

A ballast resistor system is designed so that the coil does not have 12v sitting on it when your sitting with engine not running but car on ACC. It basically drops the voltage to 6-9vs but when you flick the key to start it boosts you back up to 12v+.

Ā 

Ā 

As above, pull feed to coil off. Jamb multimeter into it and if it reads less than 12v when you just have the car sitting with stereo on then you have the ballast resistor in-line. If its reading 12v then get a normal style coil.

Ā 

Gaz

• 1 month later...

Yeah the ballest resistor is hidden in the loom. It's a single strand wire , yellow iirc, that runs up one loom near the wing and back again to the coil.

Took me a while to work that one out too when I rotorised our chevette in blighty.

Ā 

Look something like this? Can't find a conventional ceramic surrounded looking resistor but this matches the inner guard location you mentioned.

Ā 

Still going thru dizzy condensor :SĀ 

Ā 

DSCN9609.jpg

• 1 year later...

Pretty sure it's an age related thing rather than being applicable to all black plate trailers. One of mine (older than I am) came factory with a two pin plug for the lights cable. Single stop/tail and number plate light combo as above. My '71 Wolseley had a two pin trailer plug when I got it too. What year is that trailer? My old eyes can't quite make out the text on the rego label.

• Like 1