Rx2 Coupe by Gaz

Gaz

Test colour applied and confirmed this be the colour Im going to go with. No clear on as its just 1k and will be stripped back off for epoxy and proper 2k in the coming months.

rc0cut.jpg

So I said before it was pretty rust free, it does have rust but not out of control.. touch wood (dustless blasting may/will reveal more!).

Both drivers and passenger floors need some part replacing... easy, a bit on drivers side lower A pillar and above gutter, I think Ill pay for these two areas as bit above my welding skills/time.

It also needed a small patch infront of rear wheel as seen below which is now all done and also small pinholes above gutter on passenger side which is also 90% done. Apart from this its rust free,, not bad going I say!

2ez5zwl.jpg

• Like 3

One for the OG OSers (see back screen)

96aucy.jpg

What else has gone on....

The car came complete minus a few things.. i.e not complete!

It was missing the front seats and a radiator. So onto Ebay where I brought a new alloy 3 core rad and had it shipped over, Havnt installed but its for an Rx2 so should be all G.

Rx2 coupe seats being rare as fuck I opted for a set of refurbished Rx4 coupe seats which have had a lil bit extra padding installed around the bolsters. They feel much better and still keep that period look/fuck buckies! I guess I can find a pic of those later.

I also opted for a new engine as the donk sitting since 96 was in fuck knows what condition, I decided Ill buy a runner and then rebuild the old one if it was ok.... As normal I got carried away and ended up with a fresh build 13b bridge from Lawton Motorsports running rx8 rotors and a 55mm side draft, whoops! I then brought all new coils, leads, alternator etc etc and a MSD ignition. Dunno if this was the right choice or not but itll get me running at the very least.

Since then I have pulled down the 13b that came with the car and its not too bad but not mint either. Just a std engine, was clean inside apart from one housing with a bit of wear on edge of housing.. bout 2mm prob still usable but Im not keen.

6pqgat.jpg

Now that I had engine (and rebuilt S2 7 5 speed which I forgot to mention) I needed clucth, pplate and flywheel setup.

Greenbros ended up selling my the 10lb flywheel and I also got a sump baffle plate.

For the clutch I went and saw the GCs at MP Auto Parts in Upper hutt. These guys are awesome and invited me out one morning with all my clucthes and plates I had to test clamping pressures. All of them were pretty avg and could be rebuild to HD but not to as high spec as I wanted.

So in the end I opted with a new HD PPlate 2500 and a new full faced organic sprung center clutch. This should work and be alot more streetable than a POS puck clutch. Still need counter weight.

5zqhk3.jpg

• Like 7

Running gear:

Figured since Ive had a Hilux diff sitting around for a few cars now I better use it! So its going in the coupe. At the mo the axles are in at the engineers getting the centre turned down a bit and re-studded to fit some new s14 sylvia discs I brought.

Chris had some spare rear brake brackets from when he did his so thats set the disc and now im on the lookout for FXGT calipers to complete the rear end disk setup. I also threw some new wheel bearings at it same time as this made sense... hilux rear wheel bearings $90 each!! rip!

Once its back then I can setup the disks and then measure up for shortening the sucker for max rim width (another story)

I also brought some adjustable link bars for it with new bushes so now all I need is the panhard rod to be modded to adjustable also and rear end will be set.

Now upgrading the rear disks meant I had larger disks on the rear than the front, not going to work! I searched around the net for an upgrade to the front and all I can find is S4+ rx7 discs whch slip over the front hub, these dont suit as they wont fit 14" rims so I ditched that idea and headed into the local parts store to fuck around for hours with their DBA manual. Anyways I found some disks in the end which should fit a 14 and are vented and close to fitting. Currently they are in the engineers being machined a bit to fit. Since Id have to make up new caliper brackets I decided to upgrade the calipers same time. Looking online it seems a set of shitty second hand 4pots from a Rx7 or similar are going to cost me 300 with shitty pads.. I decided to piss on that option and shopped around a bit netting a brand new set of Wilwood Dynalites with pads for just under 5spot. Seems like the right option to me.. Oh yeah also chucked new wheel bearings at it jus cause.

edit, pic for post:

Silly rotarys run one big nut on flywheel...

6rkjsk.jpg

• Like 2

What else would you like to know?

Back to paint maybe;

So car is sitting in garage now stripped right down minus diff and struts. Am current in discussions with blasters and am looking at shipping the car of this month to be media blasted outside, inside, underneath.. the lot. They will then epoxy the shell and if no rust underside underseal it.

From here we can go to the panel shop and start the panel and paint. As much as I would love to paint it myself I just don't have the time.. and patience this time around! While the car is away I can get all the chrome paneled & replated and then when car is back it is just a game of peiceing the car back together and rewiring... love how easy things can be made to sound online.

Rims?

Just brought some 14x7.5 Starsharks from Ebay, coming over with Moonlight Racings next container so some time off... no hurry. Once here they can be parted and widened, hopefully Pine Engineering will setup and running by then.

Looking for 9s or maybe 9.5s pushing it.

Tyres looking to be 225 40 14 Toyo T1Rs, speced to fit a 9" rim so no issues with WOF here.

I also decided I didn't like the standard orange tail lights as they look shit. Most people in NZ just install two sets of the inner lights to get rid of the orange but I wanted to go with the full red US spec lights. Instead of importing some I opted to have the original orange ones doctored. I took them down to Graleys Plastics where they cut the face off the old lens and then glued on a new red lens + diffuser and then stuck a reflective sticker on the inside... Looks ok, not 100% convinced but 95%.

Standard

2duf43m.jpg

New

2ppgh78.jpg

Reflect

14nek61.jpg

Gaz

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi its me again. Car is off to blasters in two +- weeks so have been stripping her down a bit, just slowly. Interior almost done just deciding if I pull dash wiring out or just cover it up.

Dash has been recovered at some stage, not pro as but also not too bad, it will do.

All the interior plastic is grey so I need to spray it but first some plastic welding required to fix small cracks in interior parts; while car is off Ill drop them in to get fixed up.

116tau1.jpg

I've dropped the front end out, all bushes so far are nolothanes and in good condition so that's one less thing to do. Bushes are 50/50 but I think Ill roll em to start and replace them at VIN time if need be.. (prob just keep an eye on TM for new)

axci8i.jpg

Cross member looks funny/modded and im not sure if I want to use it or find a std one that fits a 13b to an Rx2... I know nothing about what std crossmember is required... anyone know?

Thinking of powdercoating all this shit also.

2w35c76.jpg

Fitting up rear bumper to make sure mounts all good before sending to painters.. All seems ok and bumper a bit straighter than I thought it was. Still needs small bit of panel beating and rechrome but that was always the plan. Love how the bumpers wrap around so much but I can imagin fitting after fresh paint to be a cernt.

2603ipl.jpg

Wilwoods also turned up today, cheers Myles. Dynalites weigh a bit more than I had expected but still less than a Rx7 or similar 4 pot. I had/have a set of JFZ 4pots which are lighter but I cant find em for the life of me!

6q8700.jpg

Struts are not actually too bad, the coilover conversion has been done pretty well with roller bearing top hats and machined parts hanging out up top. One problem is I need to get 4 more inchs of low out of it. To do this I was hoping I could just get new springs; I forgot to measure where spring/shock sat when weight was on car to work out travel... FAIL.

Anyone know if these are Rx2 or Rx7 struts?

257hic0.jpg

Gaz

Got few hours in garage this arvo and managed to strip down all front suspension and also pull gbox and handbrake out. Balljoints wouldn't separate out of car so made a lil tool to apply pressure and pop them straight out, worked well.

dcre5f.jpg

Gbox removed, shifter is in a diff place to that of the S3 box I have... I had thought they were both S3 boxes but must be wrong, anyone identify?

2j4vprp.jpg

I got these too which I forgot about.

And an MSD ignition unit.

5cnjh4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out ya cant just swap tail section of Gbox over as the selector part on the box doesnt match... was worth a try.

Picked up Hilux axles from Engineers today tho.

New Bearings

4x114.3 restud

and machine to fit S14 discs

Chur

2wgakcj.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't quite get engine running this weekend but got close. Heaps of stupid shit slowed progress right down like Mazdas silly sized tiny water temp sender in block, sidedraft manifold fouling on emission block off plate, no faster shops open so endless sifting through bolt/nut collection for shit to make work. Also why does Repco have no listings for rad hoses, had to buy some other ones and cut which is no biggie just annoying!

Very last two things to do before startup/troubleshooting are:

1. Hook up vacuum from inlet manifold to dizzy (needs an adaptor made as manifold vacuum oulet is hooge)

2. Suss out coil/dizzy wiring setup

Any-ways enough excuses,. here is where the week of working on engine stand/engine has ended me:

PS. making hoses using AN fittings & braided line is pretty damn easy and fun. My recommended new way of doing lines.

post-5561-0-64502100-1405853610_thumb.jpg

post-5561-0-85051700-1405853742_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Does anyone have this same dipstick stem as this? (Without the extra stem) if so can I get some measurements off it please.

1. From empty mark to seal inblock

2. From full mark to seal

3. From tip to seal

Cheers

Gaz

• 1 month later...

Toyo t1r 225 40 14s ordered.

Parts at powdercoaters due for pickup next week.

Car been bare metal n epoxied. . Panel beater starting next week.

S5 rx7 alt purchased.

Chrome for sills on way from aus.

Rear Mazda badge on way from aus.

Slightly better bumper brought in Auckland.

Gaz

• Like 2