Guypies Donkey Velobike

Guypie

Well anythingspoked seems to be well and truly defunct so I figured I would move this over to here.

Hi all

I have been keen to do one of these for a while so I got cracking during the holidays.

Unfortunately i was too damn lazy to take photos through the build so im just going to show you the finished product

Muffler is a home made slip on jobbie to avoid irritating the neighbours. stuffed it with newspaper cause i didnt have any fibreglass. Has worked fine so far, dont know how long til it disintergrates tho

Photo0307_zpsee329f1c.jpg

Build came in at under $100!

Its made from:
2x 20" bmx bikes from the dump shop
1x 2 or 3hp (unsure which) donkey engine. I think its 127cc .Has a centrifugal clutch.
Bits of steel from the dump shop
Couple of vee belts
Pulleys came from work - fan belt tensioners etc
Tank came off a Honda ct125 apparently. and carb is from a nifty fifty. could do with a bigger one though

Currently have not tested top speed cause I only just put not-perished tyres on it but I have had it to 50km/h and its just getting started. i think it will do 70 with its current gear ratio (8.6:1) I have made another pulley to gear it up a bit for better take off.

If anyone has any bright ideas on giving it a bit more grunt let me know!

Chur
Guy 

More early pics

Photo0310_zps2e18ce24.jpg

Photo0316_zps569c65a3.jpg

• Like 3

Ok so at dromeageddon 2 I got this thing to 74kmh, and have not broken that since. I really need to make progress as my local competition (mr boswell) is only a gear ratio change away from blowing me away, he has 50cc more and is topping out at the same speed, but with more accelleration.

So I have devised a 3 step plan as follows:
step 1:
IMG_1101_zpsac875b5f.jpg
I paid a visit to a friend and had the head skimmed buy 1mm. its quite a bit, but the valves dont hit the head so its all good.

step 2:
remove the forced air cooling system, after all the bike is moving and the fan is taking precious horsepower!
IMG_1092_zpsb762d63c.jpg
This is the new fan shroud, i have not gotten around to machining the flywheel yet so hopefully if i make sure this is relativley well sealed the fan on the flywheel will just "cavitate" and not pull and air in.

there was a plate in the casting at the front of the motor that would stop all airflow from the front, so i removed that, here is a picture compared to an unmodified engine:
IMG_1094_zps0e33ab35.jpg

Note the front air vent had been blanked out:
IMG_1093_zpsdd57dea3.jpg

Step 3 still to come...

and heres some other pics of the bike:

at the Kawhia:
IMG_0874_zps917ff0e4.jpg

and in B&W:
IMG_0821_zps71b7ebd2.jpg

• Like 1

Ok so here is what I got done before last weekend.

Step 3 Phase 1:

Goodbye tiny carburettorIMG_1167_zps8f5ace34.jpg

Hello Bigger carb and new manifold:
IMG_1170_zps4ddf5d5c.jpg
IMG_1169_zpsb6afb640.jpg
IMG_1168_zpse2492117.jpg

And Step 3 Phase 2:

IMG_1171_zpsddfd90ee.jpg

This was going fine until my pullstart started seizing up, and ripped the pullcord after screeching like a banshee, hence no go at the drome sad.png

also, the flywheel came loose at munched up its key, so i had to replace that too.
anywho its currently running a bit lean at main on 66%meth 34%petrol on a 120 jet size. Im thinking 140 at 100% methanol will be about right, apparently the tuning window is quite large on methanol so rich is good.

anywho as usual any advice on tuning or ideas let me know! 

• Like 4

So jetting is currently at 140 main and it sounds good at high rpm on methanol, but the idle circuit doesnt flow anywhere near rich enough so i need to try boring out the idle jet/ replacing with a larger item. Idles mint on petrol but wont revv as its way too rich for petrol on main.

Awesome. a bike that wont run correctly on either! hahaha

edit:

added pics beacause pics.

DSCF0442_zps0bbf87fb.jpg

and one with a megaphone exhaust

DSCF0432_zps6d39658a.jpg

• Like 5

Cool bike man! I would say even on the main with that carb its still too lean. max power is like 4 or 5:1 haha

I might try what governorsam said and take the jet out altogether, what could go wrong?! *queue burning valves and thrown rods*

chur bike cuz

just put two carbs on. magic

/get a big dirty old amal or an SU for lols

edit: also i'm 2kmph faster than you so shame.

kind of on topic but not realy....whats the smallest su crab I can get off a car at picklepart etc?

• 1 month later...

yo that is sweet, if its not idleing properly change the emulsion tube out?

Emulsion tube is the bit behind the main jet like a perforated tube right? I have never thought about the effect it has on the bike before, i didnt think it was used to correct fueling. What do you change about it? Number of holes and hole diameters i guess? And what effect does it have on the fueling?

Flip guy!! This thing is sweet!!

Thanks mikey, you will have to come over and take it for a ride next time you are in town