Does anyone know where to get these 'shank' wheel bolts?

clown_dog

Plz polish them until theyre gleaming when you do eventually put them on. Also ask your tyre guy to put the weights inside the rim.

Ohhh yeaaah tridents.

Haha that's the plan.

I know I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put the weights there. Sigh.. Will get that fixed when the tyres go on.

wards or tidents?

Honestly, not sure. Look like ward atlas... but no real name markings.

Heres a pic on a rough test fit. Fiat panda FTW.

698EEDDC-615E-4113-A4C3-D57CDAB0F4C5_zps

BE068330-DFE1-4277-ADE3-CA3C15FFEA19_zps

F83EFD44-965A-4236-8528-458B1205A52D_zps

I know I know. Poke and stretch. 

I'm a bad person.

• Like 3

I'm more worried about the fiat panda you sicko lol

/keen for a panda van tbh they are awesome haha

Haha yeah they are! Pretty sure it's just a different boot that you attach to turn it into a van.

Wish mine was a 4x4 though :(

At least it has the 5speed and twin sunnies!

^ bad idea, as even 'proper' bolt-to-stud conversions are shit, but to make it less bad i would locktight/molten metal the allthread into the shank nut (to make a shank bolt) as there is way more thread to catch (20mm on a nut vs about 12mm for the hubs)

Also they are Ward Atlas, so will polish up real nice.

Good to see some photos of the Panda,  Mr C Dog!

Gonna put some flares on that and ddrop it?

^ bad idea, as even 'proper' bolt-to-stud conversions are shit, but to make it less bad i would locktight/molten metal the allthread into the shank nut (to make a shank bolt) as there is way more thread to catch (20mm on a nut vs about 12mm for the hubs)

Agreed. I want it safe. Not dodgy. The place recommended above are already in contact with me so hopefully find the right stuff soon!

Yeah was thinking flares and some PI springs for a 40mm drop.. Will need to buy overseas. Would love coilovers like my other car but there's nothing off the shelf available and I don't want to have to cert it.

For reference. I stretched 135/70/r13 onto a 6j wide wheel.

This is what it looks like.

IMG_3169_zpsf1300dae.jpg

It was my spare tire. Thought it was a 155 which is what I'll go with as then I can just swap my current tyres.

This is hopefully what I'll end up with

PandawhereIwanttogo_zps5361a1c2.png

• Like 1

Just buy a set of shank nuts and then some threaded rod and locktite the rod into the nuts.

HOLY FUCK NO

DO NOT USE ALLTHREAD/THREADED ROD

jesus guys, that stuff is made of monkey metal. of all things that need to be made of proper decent high tensile and high fatigue life steel wheel bolts and studs are number one!  if you can buy the proper shank bolts do that. otherwise use proper studs that are made for the purpose with a unthreaded section that bottoms out into the hub + high strength loctite.

HOLY FUCK NO

DO NOT USE ALLTHREAD/THREADED ROD

jesus guys, that stuff is made of monkey metal. of all things that need to be made of proper decent high tensile and high fatigue life steel wheel bolts and studs are number one!  if you can buy the proper shank bolts do that. otherwise use proper studs that are made for the purpose with a unthreaded section that bottoms out into the hub + high strength loctite.

So I got a reply from Davie Motors.

"Hello

Well we have something, the closest one we have is:

Part# TM441 (chrome finish)

Hex Head Length  22mm

Shank Length       18mm

Thread Length       25mm

Wrench Size         21mm

This bit you may not like, the threaded part is actually separate and can

be unscrewed, can supply a longer threaded part which would give you

44mm of thread. (obviously these would need to be threadlocked in!)

"

That last bit. Is it still safe?

Here is the Catalogue... http://www.davie.co.nz/?id=202

the problem with threaded rod is that most of the stuff you get is rubbish (i.e most people would think galv rubbish from bunnings) and I would be a little dubious even on the high tensile stuff as often while it has a high UTS/yield it is not good in fatigue because of how the strength has been acheived (kind of alloying elements or type of heat treament) and how the threads were formed cold rolled/hot rolled.

something used to hold a wheel on needs to have a good fatigue life because of the cyclic loading. hence just use the right thing/its not hard to get the right thing.

cleardot.gif
  • Like 1