Who in CHCH does asbestos testing?

RUNAMUCK

I think there is a large amount of hype surrounding asbestos, to the point where some people treat it like a poisonous snake. Realistically, its airborne fibers that do the damage and its not like its one hit and your out sort of thing.. If i think I'm dealing with asbestos I either wet the shit before breaking/cutting it or wear a good mask.. Its no worse than microsilica and that shit is everywhere especially concrete.

BUT FROM WHAT I'VE READ IT CAN BE ONE HIT = ASBESTOSIS THATS WHY ITS MORE NUTSCONE THAN OTHER DUSTY STUFF

in saying that maybe I've only been reading propaganda.

its real hard to know if what you're reading is legit or an advertisement for some asbestos related company

Yeah I heard it only takes one fiber lodged in your lungs to cause cancer?

I talked to my Mrs about this for you Bart. Her best advice was to make a PVA solution up and spray all the Asbestos in it. Remove it in one piece and wrap it in plastic once you are done. The PVA reduces/stops airborne particles and once its wrapped up in plastic it is safe to handle. I think you might even be able to take it to the normal dump if you do this. 

The thing is, it can take just one whiff of diesel to cause cancer, I know people who used to cut asbestos board and be in clouds of dust without a mask, most of these people are late 60's early 70's with no cancer/asbestosis yet.. just take the common sense approach, or as above ,or , if your that worried, get someone else to do it

• Like 1

cheapest test is to smash it with a sledge hammer and then wait 30 years.

Chinese builders always used to do that around lawns that I mowed and leave bits of it everywhere on the lawn and then I was like oh hey guess what im not mowing this lawn anymore. lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

cheapest test is to smash it with a sledge hammer and then wait 30 years.

Chinese builders always used to do that around lawns that I mowed and leave bits of it everywhere on the lawn and then I was like oh hey guess what im not mowing this lawn anymore. lol.

For my sins I trained as a geologist. By the second year of the course, the asbestiform mineral samples we used the previous year were removed...

The good news... that was more than 30 years ago!

Did you know....

Asbestiform minerals are actually flat, but they wrap themselves into a spiral, forming a very,very sharp needle. Once it enters the body, it wanders around until such a time as it finds somewhere to do some damage, so it can enter through your thumb and cause damage in your lungs...

Asbestiform minerals are actually flat, but they wrap themselves into a spiral, forming a very,very sharp needle. Once it enters the body, it wanders around until such a time as it finds somewhere to do some damage, so it can enter through your thumb and cause damage in your lungs...

Well that's me fucked then.

When I was about 7 or 8 I jumped off a garage roof, and onto an adjacent woodshed. The roof was made from the Super 6 (?) corrigated roof shit, which I've heard is full of the shit. Being that I landed where there where no purlins, I smashed through it like a cannonball. It hurt like all fuck too. I can't remember if my legs were cut, or just badly grazed. So it might have got into me then?

I use to make huts with asbestos sheets, I use to smash a line of holes with a hammer and then snap it to make the sizes I wanted, at my friends house he had a ceiling sprayed with asbestos cement, we would chuck shit at it and make the snow fall down. this was about 25 years ago, I had bad chest pain a few months ago and had a couple chest Xrays but it was all clear.

I know an old guy who worked in an asbestos mine in Quebec and then for James hardy asbestos products and he is fine, but then a friends friend was a plumber and is fucked from it.