Alex and Hannahs bushblock shinanigans. Look at my deck..

yoeddynz

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have actually been looking at bulldozers. If only to own one. Luckily not too much earth moving is needed but would be so choice. Sadly we do have a budget to stick to and I have to be careful with choice of spending.  So with this in mind today I bought an '80s radio controlled car on ebay in the states....   Hannah not too impressed but wait till she drives it I reckon.

Latest on mobile sauna is that we drove out to block again today, via Daves ( Avengertiger) to pick up a load of roofing iron we left at his. We stacked the iron on the land and went through one of the piles of timber we scored from the previous land owner.  Selected bits out and chainsawed them to fit in the van. Most of it was framework from some old barn. 

20140324_175258_zps12cfc65d.jpg

I think its douglas fir. For any resident wood experts it has quite defined 'ridges/grain?' when cut through and quite a strong smell.. not of pine exactly but close. Certainly not macro or cedar.

Once back in nelson with a heavy as slow old hiace we trundled about places trying to find a source of Keruing plywood like on our truck. Might clad some of it in cedar instead so getting some prices.

Tonight Hannah started painting the frame in killrust while I took out nails and sorted through the timber.  And got bit heaps by mosquitos..... fuckers.

20140324_183845_zpsd0c1fb9e.jpg

• Like 2

I think its douglas fir. For any resident wood experts it has quite defined 'ridges/grain?' when cut through and quite a strong smell.. not of pine exactly but close. Certainly not macro or cedar.

Should smell kind of soapy when you cut it..

forgot to mention.

12 acres!

what a rich fullah! :-)

Came with two british seagull outboards, one '50s Gravely mower, one old vickers engine, a big steel bench on wheels, two garden shears and one large G clamp.   Pretty much all one needs in life :-)

• Like 1

Cheers Ned. Hopefully though it wont be too long a thread! We want to finish it soon and get it out there so to quit van life.

So on Tuesday night we made heaps and heaps of noise. We dug out the old Ryobi bench saw from my brothers cellar and cut all the Douglas fir down to 40mm thick sections fro frame work. Ended up with plenty so thats cool. It lovely timber too- on the outside of many it would appear rotten but cut that off and it was solid.

20140325_190802_zps482eb202.jpg

We are now shopping about trying to sort out what timber or ply to put down for the floor. Stuffs expensive! Rimu has shot up in price compared to a few years ago even though there should be more about with all the old houses in chch being dismantled?  May well put down ply for now and when some cheap rimu boards come up locally when can overlay it.

Will use Keruing (orangutan blood board) marine ply like we used on the truck. Works out with frieght to nelson the same as normal treated ply but looks heaps nicer. Oils up well and lasts.  So a mini housetruck it may well be but we are happy with that.

Will keep looking.  If anyone in Nelson has some Rimu floorboards or wants to make some money and nick their parents floorboards then we can do a deal.....