Alex and Hannahs bushblock shinanigans. Look at my deck..

yoeddynz

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers man. Yeah we trying to crack on with this one asap so we can have it on the land for easter.  A bit wet outside right now though. Shame but we have had a bloody good run. In fact it has only rained once for about a half day since the nationals weekend- its been quite a long summer eh.

I bought a twin tube fluro light yesterday and fitted it up tonight. Really cosy in there when its raining outside- even though roof is only a tarp over some thin alloy and hardboard. I really just cant wait to get it on the land and get the wood burner going when its proper cold outside. So while on the subject of wood burners- here is the sweet little burner we were given by a lady who we bought some roofing iron from. She had it sitting in her garden and wanted to see it get used. Apart from a broken leg its in amazing condition- truly a real score. The grills are almost as new and it even has a wetback!!! She also gave us some stainless flue to suit plus the larger of those two windows I posted up earlier. We have invited her to the shed party in the future once we have moved onto the land.

20140114_075931_zpsb399ad22.jpg

So we are now on the look out for an old copper water cylinder so we can setup a little system.

• Like 7

^^^ this. 

tbh though I would run a woodburner in my shed no fucks given but I'm scared if something goes awry that i will get cocked over and end up living under a shitty bridge due to insurance being pooze or something. I guess I could plead 'oh mate it was here when I bought the place' but manu can't :)

ive got a 180ltr old copper hotwater cylander was hooked up mains and wet back ive pulled out of my project house was working fine we just going mains pressure upgrade was made in 1977 might be a bit overkill for what you need tho was looking at selling to scrap man

also got some copper pipes that ive pulled out of house and could clean up real nice

and alot of rimu bits

• Like 1

Just do it. Unless you totally fuck up somehow you shouldn't burn your house down.  Maybe reserve it for 'mood' heating. Use the wood burner when you just want to chill in front of it. Let it go out before you go to bed just in case but shit that's like super paranoid. But we digress. Should start another thread. I will do so.. just on burners etc

So today I left work an hour early so I could get home with decent light to spare and cut more timber on the table saw. Cut out the angled covers for the corners- just like on the house truck. Got a sweet piece of western red cedar at lunchtime for it. Man I love cutting cedar... smells like sharpening one million pencils. (if they are cedar ones that is..)

Got a few batons too so we can cover the joins between the ply sheets at least. Need to find cheaper source of them.

Then while it was raining I hibernated in the cabin and cut batons for the internal ply. Meanwhile Hannah stained the treated lengths I had cut that will run along the base of the ply hiding and protecting the edges..just like on the truck, Ha- its just going to be a mini version of the truck.

Took a photo tonight. Even with tarp roof and no door it feels cosy in the rain.

20140410_204051_zps1ddbbf5e.jpg

• Like 5

ive got a 180ltr old copper hotwater cylander was hooked up mains and wet back ive pulled out of my project house was working fine we just going mains pressure upgrade was made in 1977 might be a bit overkill for what you need tho was looking at selling to scrap man

also got some copper pipes that ive pulled out of house and could clean up real nice

and alot of rimu bits

Fuck yeah- PM sent.

wowjust read threw this.

Alex , Hanner I take my hat of to you guys you are living the dream and doing a hell of a job of it.

I can wait to see what you guys do with this lovly block and the little cabin is awesome.

keep it up guys

• Like 1

Well getting the cabin out to the land in the weekend never happened. Thanks mother nature and your sudden bursting of tears.  So we are now hoping to shift it out this easter on the Sunday. Its been a blessing really because its so much easier to do the work at the campsite where we live as we have power, all the tools, fluffy cat, kettle, wood burner in truck for when it got really miserable. typical Nelson though- doesnt rain all summer then whammo.

We still got heaps done. First job on Saturday was to remove the frame work bit by bit from the inside and run the shiny aluminium vapor barrier behind them. Cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but we scored the roll for $75 rather then the usual $300. Its certainly going to be pretty warm in here especially once we have made some nice thick curtains.

I boxed in the wheels and made a cat hole while at it. It has been made big enough for a future Mainecoon.... 

In the meantime Kevin thinks its great. He also thinks a warm dry cabin is better than cold mud..

20140412_205718_zps0fd4095b.jpg

We cut out 31 batons for the walls out of two large lumps of douglas fir.

20140413_131759_zps75fa4842.jpg

Hannah has stained them all and while she did that in the shed I spent time in the cabin making a massive mess with 40mm thick sheets of polystyrene.  I followed that by 6mm ply.

20140413_184949_zpsaeb47b8a.jpg

We are going to have painted walls bottom half and timber T&G uppers- in a sort of older kiwi homestead style but in reverse if you know what I mean.

On Sunday the rain held off most of the day so Hannah oiled the outside. Even with just one coat the water now beads off nicely and it has brought out the lovely patterns. Looks so sweet. Will be even better when broken up with windows and batons. Yeah we are happy!

20140413_143806_zps862a35e6.jpg

In the afternoon I finished off the Rimu door frame and set it all in place. Last night we hung the door. Shit its heavy! Its a very old (1800's) Rimu door and its all dense heart Rimu. We discovered that our door frame was slightly parallelogram so I had to take a slight angled slice of the bottom. Whoops.

20140414_171752_zpsc4a5bbab.jpg

20140414_180209_zps426254d4.jpg

Then discovered that the frame is slightly twisted and the top corner of the door hits the frame about 10mm before the bottom. I blame the cat- he wasn't paying attention or something. Oh well- nothing a table saw wont fix. You can see the gap near the bottom here..

20140414_180414_zps6a51daf4.jpg

The window frames needed the bottom bits chopping down to a more 'small cabin' scale. Here is Hannah pondering my door framing.. while I prepare to cut the window frame. This window is huge and will be so sweet to sit behind on cold shitty weather days with the burner blazing.

20140414_185317_zpsa605254f.jpg

The frame after a bit of chopping.. note the dark coloured dense heart Rimu

20140414_191036_zpsaef87f03.jpg

So tonight after work I will plane some of the free Pine sarking we scored (packing sheets for roller doors- they are now saving them in a pile for me :-)

Then we will continue with framing for the windows and get them set up so the windows just screw in place once its out on the land. We have some cool colour ideas with the door and windows. You shall see sometime but for now we just have to get it out there.

• Like 4

Yeah. Door, windows, roofing wont be fitted until its on the land. Keep it lighter that way. Borrowing friends modern ute to tow it as I know the mighty 2l poweted hiace will cry.

It will still be heaps lighter than a car trailer with a car on top though. Its really just a big thin ply wood box.