Alex and Hannahs bushblock shinanigans. Look at my deck..

yoeddynz

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a collection of those moths that like to commit suicide by flying into the ranch slider at night - they hit with a fairly good domf noise followed by fluffle fluffle noises when they are on the ground then the cats go ape shit eating them.  This is an average size one that the cats hadn't got to so I could document.

20140816_231339.jpg

Re Woodpigeons - they make a good meal.

Wow! They carry a tape measure with them?!!! I wonder why? How odd.

I like moths. Except when watching a movie and one insists on watching it with us but hogging the screen. When you squash them they leave powder everywhere.  But I wouldnt squash such lovely beasts as above. To cool.

Ive eaten plenty of Huhu grubs. Yum. Freshly roasted over a fire. Bite the head off and spit it out as its the body thats great.

Hannah just went to the library on way home. As well as from the bird books and the native forest plant book she got one on greywater systems as I need to learn that stuff. Not going to have a septic tank as will be composting toilets. No black water then either. So just need to learn about reed bed systems etc for dealing with shower water etc. Will recycle most of it on to plants anyway but yeah, got ta keep council happy once they start asking. Has anyone here got any experience with designing grey water setups? Im sure I'll find way too much info on net and this book we got so far is bloody good. 

20140923_200011.jpg

• Like 1

Moths are sweet.. it's huhu beetles that are cunts, flying round getting stuck in your hair and then biting the fuck out of your fingers when you try to extricate them, and if the biggest one I've seen was golden bay then marahau would prob follow suit.

5789159933_37736bf4b2_z.jpg

• Like 3

Moths are sweet.. it's huhu beetles that are cunts, flying round getting stuck in your hair and then biting the fuck out of your fingers when you try to extricate them, and if the biggest one I've seen was golden bay then marahau would prob follow suit.

5789159933_37736bf4b2_z.jpg

I got mobbed by a bunch of these out night shooting. Got stuck in my beard, while trying to get them out more of them flew in, what a nightmare getting the bastards out !!

• Like 2

Alex

I am tidying my garage and found about 40(ish) m of approx 10mm steel cable

Do you want it for a small flying fox?

(Im dumping it next week if you dont)

Cheers for offer Glen but Im gonna wait till we settled in. Will look for long length locally later on.

Take it to steel man = coin for anglia parts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things have been moving along quite quickly in last few weeks. Its been quite a mission with phone calls everywhere and much vanning about. Missed one weekend by being over in Blenheim for NZ Vauxhall nationals- which was quite a let down as Andre would backup.. One make car clubs...dont go there.

Oldschool for lyfe!

Anyway- last weekend we did this...

20141101_133845.jpg

We skimmed the top off platform using laser level. Then strung out borders and dug trenchs.

Putting the boxing ion has been quite time consuming and tricky as the ground is sandy/clay/granite mix that is either rock hard or flakey. We ended up having to make each post hole by driving a karatane(sp?) stake into ground and twisting it then remove dirt. rinse and repeat. I wanted to buy a augor but nothing available locally plus all too big.

We got there though and with help of a laser level we hired got all the posts in the same height as reference points. ON monday we worked till it was too dark to see and almost finished the boxing. I went back on Wednesday and finished

it before starting the back filling. Still have extra boards to lay on top horizontally as belt and braces extra support.

Looks like big storm was gonna roll in. I think thats the one that brought snow up north later on.

20141105_162158.jpg

Now playing waiting game as our concrete suppliers try to convince the shed company that Forta ferro is an excellent alternative to steel mesh (better in fact) so the shed engineer can write a little note for council inspector be happy. Paper work and uppity engineers....  Hoping that the relevant info will come back from manufacturers in the states early next week so we can pour concrete next Friday in time for Saturday celebration bbq :-) Very excited but nervous until council inspector has given nod to pour.

I will then move this stuff over to shed thread as it will be more relevant there.

• Like 8

Also to get my bearings

These 2 photos - is the second one taken from more or less where the water tank is?

If I am right then that would mean the vege garden is elevated compared to the shed?

It's a little deceptive in the second photo and it looks a flat slope from the vege garden to the caravan. LOL

20141105_162158.jpg

20141020_135643.jpg