Alex and Hannahs bushblock shinanigans. Look at my deck..

yoeddynz

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are your plans to live exclusivly in the truck or fit out the mezz of the shed as a loft?

Going to continue living in the truck. We love it and suits us fine. But many changes to it are planned once out there. It will be facing north so will finally get the morning sun where we planned..on the dining table! So I can eat my 5 pieces of weetbix/cornflakes/rolled oats with a half can of tinned fruit on top in the morning sun :-) Going to cut out a bigger hole in both slide outs and fit larger opening windows.

Will build a tropical roof as well because it gets bloody hot in this valley and we have learned that there are some naughty Keas, one in particular, who wreak many things about the valley and they would love ripping the butynol roof covering apart!!!

The slide out roof design needs looking at because the drains block too easily.

Quite looking forwards to a good ol' re-vamp of things but looking forward to driving it even more! We will make sure it stays operable and maintained for future trips. Plan to make a sweet little decking area that the truck will reverse into and 'dock' making for a much bigger area around the entrance.

The shed mezz will have a spare bedroom, bathroom and kitchen just for when we have visitors. Most of the space will be living area with wetback stove, decent sound system and Hannah wants a piano :-)  Basically a sweet as chill out room. Hopefully it wont be long before I can start posting up shed progress in the shed thread... still waiting on the council to just acknowledge the fact we have paid the deposit towards the consent application. I think its going to be a slow next few weeks.....

Lots of birds on and around our area and Im becoming quite a twitcher. Ive always liked birds and even had a pet hawk I looked after for a while when young. Pretty much all birds are cool in my book (except Ducks! = rats with wings- death to all of them!)

Anyway - we have spotted a Kea flying over a few times and heard it heaps. Our neighbour has seen it plenty on his land. Then on Saturday another fella from next valley over and he knows this Kea well. He calls it John Kea...

This guy has been a victim of all Johns peskyness. John was booted out along with several other adolescents from a colony near Canaan downs. Its apparently  what happens when they become teenagers. They then started became a nuisance over at Kaiteriteri campsite a few years back and Doc caught them all except John. He was too smart. He was also the ring leader so when the next bunch get kicked out of home he will no doubt lead them astray. In the meantime for a past year or two he has been wreaking many things at various properties including outdoor furniture, car rubbers, tractor seats etc etc. Has been spotted hopping his way happily into our neighbours living room.

I like Keas but Im not looking forward to when he or his motley crew discovers our place.

Our immediate neighbour said that there has been a pair of Falcons up the back of our block for quite some time. Ive not spotted them or heard them yet. Again I like them and a few years back went with mum up the Waihopi valley in Marlborough to see some get released. Beautiful birds! It'll be awesome if they are on or near our land.

Last weekend we had 8 big fat juicy woodpigeons parked up in a Lucerne (sp?) tree above the dunny. Never really been much of a fan but now after watching them from the veranda as they interact with each other and do really fast swooping turns as they taunt Kevin I reckon they are cool. Yesterday morning one came straight at us then quickly landed on the veranda roof right above us with its tail and fluffy bum overhanging. I think Kevin almost had a heart attack! I think he couldn't believe how close it was! Funny watching him watch the pigeon..he was quivering like a dog waiting for its food with excitement. He tries to sneak up on them as they feed in the tree. Silly boy. One very white fluffy cat that has had all the wild hunting instincts breed out....."not a chance" the pigeons laugh.

Heaps of Tuis and Bellbirds which is always awesome. Will get more in when I make some feeders but not until we are out there.  Also quite a lot of Grey Warblers which to me have a sweet summery song.

A lovely Kingfisher keeps landing on the powerline which is cool thing to see. Had not seen one in years.

Best thing though which we are both stoked about (as is Kevin no doubt)- we have Quails!!! Hannah spotted two last weekend and then some more this afternoon. So cool- Im really hoping we will get some small ones as baby Quails are quite possibly the cutest baby birds ever. 

So other than clearing more old gorse and also finishing the stormwater drainage to the culvert for the shed we spent much of the, thank fully sunny, weekend chilling out watching birds.

• Like 3

Jealous, bird life is so cool. Even if you dislike the wood chickens, their massive swooping and flight noise in and around the bush is awesome, you can always tell when one is near.

Keen to see some NZ Falcons up close, I've witnessed from afar. Most birds of prey are just amazeballs. Someone needs to bring back a Haast eagle using DNA science magic wizardry.

Bush robins although perhaps tedious are also a favourite of mine, as are the all too familiar fantails, though apparently bad luck I've had a completely black one follow me around the bush once, it was awesomesauce.

The bush is cool. I think I'll recluse once I've had it up to there with society.

• Like 2

Yeah fantails are choice. Funny watching them dance about tempting too slow Kevin.

Haast eagle = pure class. Fuck yeah.... "Oh that?, yeah that's just my Haast eagle. I'm not allowed back at the local raptor club monthly meet ever since it ate three golden eagles last time "....

Wood pigeons are cool, until they get at a puriri tree, then leave bird crap the size of your hand with a delightful little berry stone in the middle all over your house and vehicles.

Remove immediately if this happens. They adhere like lycra to a fat chick and you end up with little berry shaped stains or missing sections of paint all over the place.

• Like 1