Cam's 1974 Hillman Hunter

Retro

So i brought this Hillman Hunter off my old man, quite cheap really, a whole $350. So its bit of a project until i get my licence :)

Rego is on hold and has no warrant, it only needs manifold welded up and something done to the brakes. Just gotta do the brakes, then i can get it road legal.

aEtDynd.jpg

W7EBYnO.jpg

Inside the front, needs a new dash and some carpets made up to be mint, i will get there though.

rYyJnHq.jpg?1?4014

Heres a picture of the engine bay, its quite tidy i must say, i dont know what it is, but im learning as i go through this project

GzVayOr.jpg?1?4713

I love old stickers 

3a2OOUW.jpg?3?3027

Plans are to:

Drop by 3inch

Paint wheels

Visor or old school roof rack

Sounds

Surface rust repaired

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/42843-retros-hunter/?hl=hunter

• Like 3

A little bit of the history while the old man had it, an old man came to one of dad's work mate that owns a hillman but he didn't want it so ask my old man if he wanted it. So my old man picked me up in the beast after work, and he only paid $200 for it. Since he's owned it, he's had all new tyres, manifold welded up, and clutch fixed. Not many people have unique cars like these in the Deep South :( but my goal is to change that :)

So i painted the wheels today, a black satin, so i clear coated them to make them shiny. Looks much better now.

Heres a before...

pJ3rz0v.jpg?3?8030

And after...

rNvjA8O.jpg?2?7502

So i've only done two of these, since i dont have any spare wheels, so will get the other two done this week hopefully :)

So i put them on tonight so i could sanding the rest of the wheels. it looks so beasty now :) better than it did

nCUdDiu.jpg?1?4201

• Like 4

So about a month ago, my old man found out about this rusty hunter.

OAyZgUW.jpg?1?2496

I scored heaps of spares. Plus the guy had a rusty mk2 cortina, with some mags on it, they should clean up nicely

FQM1cE6.jpg?2?5941

CLGrsym.jpg?1?1455

the other day i cleaned up the door cards, heres a before and after, i used multipurpose and they cleaned up quite good

DmJGKx4.jpg?1?9388

SLhFbV1.jpg?1?9334

I saved heaps of $$$ that day, got everything for nothing 

• Like 2

Here's abit of an update for you's, Got all the wheels all painted up and on, it actually doesn't look to bad.

zfoZSca.jpg?3?8751

We also took it for a spin around the block, runs smooth with the manifold welded up. Sadly transmission is abit fucked, but should be getting a mint one in the next few weeks before the warrant and acceleration is quite sticky 

So i brought some metal polish from repco for around $13 to polish the hubcaps. So here we have what i used, what they looked like and what they look like now off and on the car. This is what an oldschool hubcap should look like...

What i used.

pSnPIFo.jpg?5

Before...

siySHeK.jpg

Side by side...

L6ot2hx.jpg?9?6253

Now this is the finished result on the wheel, now that's polished right...

yLs4DjO.jpg?5?1792

So tonight i worked on the boot. Sanded it back and got rid of the surface rust. I'm going to paint it black, so it's nice and tidy.

before...

IeBF8gJ.jpg?2

After...

WEDlSpx.jpg?1

Should have it paint in the next week and a half.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So today i painted the wheel archers, because they looked out of place, looks so much better.

I've also started sanding all the surface rust, big job haha. 

here are some photo's of what it looks like now, coming along quite nicely i think

itx7rjV.jpg?1?8773

nWxpIt5.jpg?2?2327

It looks sweet with hubcaps, just needs more low

GrmmWWf.jpg

• Like 2

So my sanding is coming along quite nicely i think, im a clean up boy at a panel shop and i just take it all in!

This was the guard full of cheese that was breaking away!

1MbXv3C.jpg?1?5668

Then my cheesing

Lg0agkG.jpg?1?5233

Then the door that the old guy stuffed up haha

tNXkspK.jpg?2?4104

My 'retro' tag in the dust haha

RLLzp21.jpg?1?3644

It was my birthday the other day and my lovely grandmother gave me this retro toolbox, love it!!

hKLfu42.jpg?1?6297

• Like 2

So while waiting for some bog to dry, i decided to start customizing the spare grill we had

rW4M2UA.jpg?1?1665

So what im going to do is, sand the rough sand like surface,tape up the polish surface, paint rough surface satin black and use metal polish cream on the area i taped up.

And for the back im going to paint the grey/silver area black and the petrol cap the same colour as the car

g75w78N.jpg?2?7289

Its a work in progress :) Im thinking about black and mustard contrasting, can not wait until this is finished :) :) :)

So this morning we went to a garage sale and we were looking at the stuff out side. me and the old man weren't to sure if it was a retro roof rack or not, but the lady told us it was. She told us to take it away!!! :o SCORE!!!!!!!!! So we put it on the hunter and this is what it looks like :) over the moon.

Tzx08GB.jpg?3?7117

WVipzXy.jpg?1?5271

zX9JF1b.jpg?2?1807

C2AYNYx.jpg?1?4565

Sorry if the photo's are a bit blurry, was trying to take cool photo's haha

• 4 weeks later...

Not much of an up date, but i've finished the big panel work and primered red! Nice colour match i reckon!!!

Should have a new gear box in a week or two, then should have it in, in the next few weeks!

eOLX3G0.jpg?1?2805

I also painted the spare grill, it looks completely different! hopefully it looks good on the beast

kWwdocw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I havent been doing much to the beast lately,

polished a badge

iGlb0bo.jpg?1?1028

Scored an old whisky box from Bluff and an old suit case for the rook rack

4Pb48Js.jpg?1?4445

kMRfWMo.jpg

Finally payed for the gear box, looks clean as! should be put in, in the next week or two

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So last weekend i got bored so i put the stuff on the roof racks, this is the result 

kRH5Xj1.jpg?1?4066

Its looking pree rad

EY2XjwY.jpg

On monday i took the tow ball off coz it looks stupid

XDnl81P.jpg

Then i painted the back black just for the colour theme im going with

596FjU3.jpg?1?3493

WpAp4xn.jpg?1?8050

• Like 1